GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:01 am

After sitting out in the rain for a couple of days I was all packed up and ready to go and the bike started right up and ran about 30 seconds and then started sputtering. I filled up with gas yesterday when the rain cleared for a hour or so and when I opened the cap I noticed water in the well around the tank filler hole that was not draining. I soaked it out with some paper towels but I had a feeling that some water went in to the gas tank. I don't know this for sure but I suspect it. I ran a 10 inch section of bottom E guitar string down the hole and did not find any obstruction but I am not sure if 10" is long enough. I also blew through a hose pressed to the drain hole and could blow freely.
So I need a couple of suggestions, one, is the easiest way to clear the fuel line without major disassembly and two, other possible causes like wet ignition. I mostly suspect the gas because the bike started yesterday fine after sitting out in heavy extensive rain and it also started right up today until the probable water made it's way into the system.
Thanks

I posted this in wild guzzi too.
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30 am

Well I got most of the water out by pulsing the injectors. A lot of water came out the left downhill side, probably 10cc and just a few cc's on the right.
I was able to get the injector bolts loose and had the injectors spray into clear cups. Guzzidiag to the rescue.
The bike starts now but is still sputtering a bit but I can keep it running.
I am going to the store now for some Heet to absorb or disperse what water is left in the tank.
I still need to get something long enough to make sure the drain hole in clear around the filler neck.
I will update later after I add the heet and run it a bit around the neighborhood here.
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Dumped half a bottle of Heet in the tank. The bottle said it treats 20 gallons and I used half in 4.5 gallons.
I rode it a mile or so up and down the street right after mixing in the Heet and it now will idle but still coughs occasionally.
Maybe the heet will need some more time to be more effective.
I think it runs well enough to ride as it is not stalling out and mostly has smooth power.
There does not appear to be any ignition problems and this is an 1100 2V so it is not plagued with the same 4V wire issues.
If the weather clears for a while I will be on my way again tomorrow. NC here I come!
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Let us know how it goes - especially after the next tankful.
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I have a question regarding the drain hole for the moat around the tank filler.
I got whole full length lower E guitar string and shoved it in the hole.
It went in about a foot and no further. Does the hole make a somewhat sharp bend? Is it normal for a wire to stop at this point?
It seems as if I can blow into the hole and not feel that it is obstructed. I don't think it is draining though.
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:14 am

Yes, the string could get caught on a bend. The drain is a fairly small and can become plugged, and water is typically trapped in the area before it works itself out when the bike is ridden. After washing the bike, I typically blow both around the filler area, and also back through the drain exit with compressed air. (On the US bikes, the water drain and tank vent are separated, apparently unlike the rest of the world that doesn't have an EVAP setup.) Lightly blow back through the drain exit and you'll figure it out quick.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:12 pm

antmanbee,

I've had the same issue re: water drain. Mine's a 1100 (2006).

My outlets block quite a bit
You're better off just lifting the tank a bit from the back; you don't need to remove it.
You'll see there's one drain outlet each side of the tank facing rearwards. Mine have a T hose on.
Whip the hoses off & get something in there & unblock them; I used a small drill bit the same size as the outlet & it worked a treat, as the dirt etc comes out in the drill bit grooves.

The fuel cap letting in water is a pain, isn't it.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Give me the push button cap on my old T3 tank. The filler neck is raised above the tank and never allows any water in, it's easy to open and looks better too, in my opinion.
This recessed design on the GRiSO and most newer bikes is a stupid design.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 am

Yeah, with you on that.
T3 is how a bike (& fuel cap) should look!!

I've often thought of reaming out the outlets on my GRiSO to make them a bit larger & less prone to blockage but don't know if that'll cause some other issue... the delicate balance of nature & all that!

I use white vinegar at home to get rid of limescale etc & it works a treat so maybe filling the drain hole with that could help shift whatever it is that blocks the outlets. I don't think it'd destroy the integrity of whatever plastic it is that the tank's made from.

The stuff that blocks my outlets is chalk/ limescale-ish in appearance & texture.
A right pain!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas   GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO 1100 stuck in Lexington Ky, Probable water in gas
Page 1 of 1