GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

More on [Slingshot] Footpegs

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
beetle
Bill Hagan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Empty
PostSubject: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:33 am

Bill Hagan wrote:

And, now, as I ready for some multi-day romping, I have been experimenting with foot pegs.  I read the several threads on this here and finally went with the Slingshot model in black.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Easy enough to install, tho I did mangle the circlips and have more on the way.  And, they are near-infinitely adjustable.  Unlike many of you here, I don’t worry about scraping because of lowered pegs.  I scare myself enough as it is with my “mature” approach to leaning — code for “thinks he’s Rossi but tires don’t show it."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am bothered by inability to make the spring work as with OEM.  Anyone installed these and broken the code so that the OEM spring doesn’t have the peg flop around?

Grazie.

Bill

So, no one seems to have cared — quite understandably  Wink — about my GRiSO’s flopping foot pegs when I mentioned this in the daily GRiSO-doings thread.

I then had no choice but to try my own questionable mechanical skills.

Darn if I didn’t fix it. OK, sort of, at least.  

As you may recall — OK, probably not — I had no trouble installing these — [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] — on my 2010 GRiSO.

But, while in place, they “flopped” around as a result of the short end of the OEM return spring from getting into the hole used by the fastener that makes the foot peg adjustable.

How others have done this on other Guzzis, I cannot figure out unless they just weren’t bothered by the loose peg when finished. I was. Of course, it may also be that I am the only one who couldn't figure out the school solution. So I went with a street solution.

I should say at first that my “fix” works for me and is easy to do … well, except for the actual installation of the return spring, but that causes cursing in almost all applications anyway.  

I suggested to Slingshot that they could certainly include make and include something like the little piece I made from two rubber-cushioned clamps like these, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I had those on hand and thus used them.

Covering the fastener's hole on the inboard side as I did with that tiny strip of metal works fine.

But the BY FAR more elegant solution — tho it might be more expensive for Slingshot, especially if they already have a huge assortment of the existing ones and this is only an issue for Guzzis like mine! — would be simply to use a longer fastener to attach the foot peg to the adjustable adapter. The present fastener is c.15mm; c.22mm would, I think, fill the entire space and cure the problem.

Here are some pix of what I did.

But, first a pic or three of the mini-split that now cools the Moto Grappa! Stupendou$ change from portable unit I had been using. You’ll also see my able assistant, Jake, who enjoys the cool floor  cheers , along with the HVAC guy giving the foot-peg issue a try.

OK, the others …

Back now to visiting grandkids!  

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Good fix there, Bill. Perhaps no one responded to your floppiness because you're the first Slingshot installer? FYI, the Knight Design pegs didn't have this issue, nor the MFW Vario pegs.

You may be a trailblazer!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Yup. I couldn't offer anything useful so for once I kept my fat yap shut!
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:13 am

Thanks for that, both of you.  I was in such a state of pity and petulance about no comments that Kathi wouldn't talk to me.   queen  Sad

That said, as all happily married men know, that has its upside, too.  cheers

Seriously, I am well pleased with my fix, but some road miles next week will tell the real tale.  Riding the GRiSO -- in company of two 1400's -- all around Pennsylvania, including retracing that 17 miles up near Erie where one of my H-B cases (with a never-used, brand new Garmin 396 in it) launched from my V7.   Shocked  Crying or Very sad

Bill
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm curious. I put on a set of K-D pegs (1" drop) last winter and like them. That said, slightly lower would offer a bit more leg room. If you don't mind, would you post a long term evaluation upon your return?
Back to top Go down
EvilChicken
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
EvilChicken

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:52 pm

I put a set of lower pegs on my GRiSO but found I had to fit some lower brake and gear change toe pads as well to ride comfortably.
Back to top Go down
drquackula
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
drquackula

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:01 am

I have a set on my GRiSO. After a bit of blood ( puncture wounds from the springs), sweat and tears, got them installed. My pegs don't flop around. The thing I don't like about them is that they move my feet out wider and the aftermarket folding toe pegs I also installed are not quite long enough. I got them both from AFI. I like the fact that I no longer get thigh cramps with the lower pegs. I can ride much longer now.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by drquackula on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sjmckee1956
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
sjmckee1956

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 am

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:33 am

Delayed responses here, but spousal-unit  queen priorities (ignored at peril! Shocked, visiting outlaws and even more riding than I usually get in have delayed me.   Very Happy

Anyway, I saw Stromgriso's mention in his now-sold thread that he had these installed. I am about to order another set for my Norge -- even tho the expletive-deleteds never responded to my email about fitting issues -- thus my revisiting this.

drquackula wrote:
I have a set on my GRiSO. After a bit of blood ( puncture wounds from the springs), sweat and tears, got them installed. My pegs don't flop around. The thing I don't like about them is that they move my feet out wider and the aftermarket folding toe pegs I also installed are not quite long enough. I got them both from AFI. I like the fact that I no longer get thigh cramps with the lower pegs. I can ride much longer now.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Cannot figure out how you avoid the "flop."  But lucky you ... or condemned me.   Rolling Eyes

sjmckee1956 wrote:

Yes, quite fine but not as adjustable as the Slingshot ones.

BTW, for mysterious web reasons, could not get your link to work, tho what I use, below, "looks the same"" to me.  scratch  

Slingshot Pegs for GRiSO

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More on [Slingshot] Footpegs   More on [Slingshot] Footpegs Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

More on [Slingshot] Footpegs
Page 1 of 1