GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox

Go down 
+7
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
Evilgarfield
Bulldog9
paulbrice
beetle
Richard
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Empty
PostSubject: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 am

Is there any interest / advantage to remove the intake hose on the airbox ? I read that some people did.

If so, how simple is this ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 am

It's easy. Pull the lid off the airbox, and you can slide the snorkel out. On the 8V, it improves mid range torque slightly. I don't believe it makes a big difference on the 2V. It will increase intake honk.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am

Major benefit is the extra room to carry a puncture repair kit (without blocking airflow) Wink
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for your reply Thumbs Up

Understood. No mechanical improvement on 1100’s but remove the snorkel gives a little space under the seat.

Probably will stay as is Wink
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:32 am

Took mine out, no appreciable gain, so put back in. It is a great way to get stuff sucked into the airbox though lol. I prefer being able to put stuff under the seat and not get sucked into the airbox. But YMMV
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:18 am

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:57 am

Fuzeblok, puncture repair kit in small case, rubber solution in plastic bag.....
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2021 7:42 pm

I removed mine on my 2v 1100 with a beetle map this weekend while adding a Eastern beaver harness... It didn't like it. When the bike is cold, when I open the throttle more then half, the Motor looses power and sounds choked.
Does this suggests I have a fuelling issue/imbalance?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Sounds like something is blocking the air intake.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 3:46 am

That's what I thought as well but then I removed the seat to check and nothing was in the way.
If I remove the snorkel and cover part of the intake with my hand, the motor runs fine when I open the throttle. If I have the snorkel on, it runs fine as well. It's only when cold with the snorkel off and nothing in the way of the intake that the problem happens
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 5:16 am

Evil, Try doing a throttle body balance, resetting learned parameters (should be a moot point on one of Beetle's maps but do it anyway), reset your TPS. Probably worthwhile checking your valve gaps, while you are doing things. Do you suffer from occasional high idle?

There is plenty of help on this forum on how to do these tasks.

Normally, removing the snorkel gives better mid-range pickup, with a little induction roar added in for effect.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Evil, Try doing a throttle body balance, resetting learned parameters (should be a moot point on one of Beetle's maps but do it anyway), reset your TPS. Probably worthwhile checking your valve gaps, while you are doing things. Do you suffer from occasional high idle?

There is plenty of help on this forum on how to do these tasks.

Normally, removing the snorkel gives better mid-range pickup, with a little induction roar added in for effect.

Thing is I did that already in the past month in that order:

1. Agostini muffler on
  2. Bettle map in
  3. TPS and autolearnin reset + CO trim
  4. some riding --> all fine
  5. Valve clearance adjustemnt
  6. Throttle body balance + TPS reset + CO trim (maybe id put it too lean?)
  7. Some riding (everything fine with the very occasional rise in idle for 5s on a warm start)
  8. remove snorkle --> can't open the throttle fully in the first minute after a cold start or it bogs down. After that everything is fine.

What would the high idle suggest? Is it possible that my last CO trim was a tad lean and removing the snorkle made it even leander by letting more air in which is causing the problem?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am

I would go +2 on the CO trim and see if that helps. CO trim affects all of the map including idle. Don't go too far, too fast.

For what it's worth, mine is like that on start-up - mine is a 2V 1200. My stepper is disconnected as it was playing up. 5 seconds high idle is normal - mine used to idle at 2000 to 3000, sometimes hunting between them. It sounds like your stepper is OK.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks. Will try that tomorrow when I have time and report back.
Current CO trim is at -2 as I had the impression that I was smelling some fuel before
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 9:45 am

Take the air box lid off and see what is blocking it.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 9:54 am

Mine doesn't like first few minutes when it's cold - fluffs & farts around generally but is fine after a couple minutes warm up/riding & it does that with all variants of beetle map I've used......it's just not enough to worry about. Weirdly it doesn't do that at all with the original factory map BUT then with that it rides shite on part throttle all the time.
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 10:04 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Take the air box lid off and see what is blocking it.
Again nothing is blocking it. I took it apart. And the bike does that when the air intake is bigger. If I remove the snorkel and put my hand on the opening to close down part it, the problem goes away. This would suggest that the bike is able to suck too much air when the throttle is open and the snorkel removed.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2021 10:11 am

i.e. lean.

Evilgarfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Sat May 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Figured it out. The air filter was not seated correctly in his seat and air was leaking into the system without resistance. Replaced the filter correctly and now the bike runs fine without snorkel!

Oz1200Guzzi, Bill Dee and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Sat May 29, 2021 11:21 pm

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Evilgarfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:16 am

Richard wrote:
Is there any interest / advantage to remove the intake hose on the airbox ? I read that some people did.

If so, how simple is this ?

KC34 sell @ €25, a “Moto Guzzi GRiSO air filter frame, allows you to keep the air filter in place if the original cover is removed”

What’s the thoughts on this item?

Bob
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:32 am

Don't. Just..don't.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 am

Completely pointless.

Please send the €25 to me instead and I'll send you a personally autographed picture of my scrotum which would have a similar value and performance enhancing features.

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 am

Whilst under the seat, what are these 2 sockets?

Bob

Last edited by BobW981 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit pic)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 am

The black one is the diagnostic port for the ECU that is used for mapping and tuning, the white one is the port for the dashboard which is pretty much redundant as there have never been any dash updates for W5AM Guzzis.

BobW981 and Randy like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox    Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Remove intake hose (snorkel) on airbox
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next