GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fitting LEDperf headlamp

Go down 
+4
redhawk47
Spruce Goose
Richard
paulbrice
8 posters
AuthorMessage
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Fitting LEDperf headlamp Empty
PostSubject: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am

After struggling with the standard headlamp (fitted with 150% brightness bulb....150% of zero is still zero) in the dark & the fog getting to this years Classic TT; I decided to fit an LED headlamp & went for LEDperf with the angel eye running light....TBH they don't look much difference to ones on ebay for £20 & they all probably come from same factory in China for buttons; but the full headlamp options sounded good ...

Quick check of GRiSO fitting review disaster already on the web included "My mechanic is trained specifically on this bike and couldn't find a way to make the unit fit. They have no customer service number, you have to email them, they didn't even bother to reply to my mechanic (who is French) and now i'm left with a useless light".......so I was expecting some engineering challenges......

I bought two standard headlamp 7" shell units (60 Euros ish each - one all chrome & one all black (it's a one-size-fits-all that the LEDperf unit sits in), plus the LED light at 130 euros. As per reviews you get a (three in my case) bag of bits with no guides (none included or pdf download on-line) to assemble or connect them but it's all work-out-able with time...like an hour or so playing with the LED perf bits and the standard headlamp off my bike. The main conclusions:
1. The LEDperf standard 7" headlamp shell won't fit a GRiSO as the C-t-C across the fitting bolts is just too big. Two solutions I could think of are to start cutting/hammering/welding the LEDperf standard steel shell OR move the two headlamp supports apart (may require filling and new hole/thread to move them apart while still bolting to the lower yolk) +/or trim off some metal from the inside. All too painful but I will explore later as I like the full chrome headlamp they supplied.
2. Use and adapt the existing MG shell to accept all the LEDperf supplied headlamp fittings (and adapting some of these bits too). Basically came down to a. just trimming about 6 mm off the top bracket/swivel on the LEDperf headlamp rim so that it easily fits between the two 'joining lips' at the top of the OEM shell & painting up the exposed metal. b. carefully marking out on the original MG shell where the LEDperf rim bolts would have to come through (basically put it together w/out the led lamp & mark out where to drill from inside) to attach to the rim. A quick pilot hole with a 90 degree drill followed by drilling it out full from outside & it fits easy.

The wiring is easy as the H4 bit is just plug & play but needs you to cut and solder a few wires, & without instructions I got an 'orange' angel eye initially - just switching connections brought white angel eye.....

I like the look of the headlamp & looking to optimise whether to go with chrome headlamp rim (after hacking the bracket) or go 'big' and figure how to fit the 'too big' chrome shell they shipped me.

Good news is that all the bits now fit in the OEM shell & it retains the OEM connector externally plus the std fitting bolts (it's just like an OEM headlamp after the 'tweaks'.....plus re-instating the 'candle-power' internals just requires straight swapping the bits plus two soldered up connection wires with spades inside the shell. Haven't tried it at night yet but it lights up Waitrose underground carpark light a fairyground, so there's hope....

Pictures (in no particular order):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:19 pm

You made it and the result is satisfactory. This is most important.

When you look at LEDperf.com site, it sounds like it is a piece of cake to mount the headlamp into the shell etc.

May be the recommendation is simply to not buy from them, isn’t it ?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 am

Hi Richard, I wouldn't recommend NOT buying but I am adding to the decision information needed......True their website makes it sound easy, but the reviews tell the reality in detail & at least (for me) you can then decide to buy/not buy in the certainty there will be swearing, sweat and exciting/fun problems involved..........for some people (me included), the attraction is the pain of fitting and the resultant uniqueness knowing most people will either not buy or give up trying to fit it Wink

Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:54 am

Surprisingly you were not satisfied with the +150% bulb. I have a +130% and so far it’s ok. The issue for me is more to be seen than seeing. We certainly don’t drive in the same conditions.

The led headlamp looks great on your Tenni. Nice job Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Spruce Goose
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spruce Goose

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 am

Hi Paul, I cracked my headlight glass (actually, a bolt thrown up by a large tractor-trailer did it) and instead of buying a replacement glass for the stock unit, I’m going to try what you did. Mind sending me some details on the soldering you had to do to get it to work? I will also he re-using the OE bucket, I like the size and it’s pretty solid. Thanks - Mark
Back to top Go down
redhawk47
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
redhawk47

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:32 am

Another option that, unfortunately, is much more expensive, is the JW Speaker LED headlight sold by Motodemic. They sell a light in a bucket that is plug and play for V7 and V7II. V7III requires new mounting brackets which they sell. Installation on my V7II was so easy that it took more time to align the light. I do not know if the GRiSO light bucket is the same size.
The amount and quality of lighting is excellent: Low beam puts a lot of light to the sides as well as out front, and stays on with the high beam, which is like a spot light - I wish it had a bit more spread.
All in all I am very pleased. I had tried several LED bulbs in the stock headlight and none were satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:40 pm

SKTYANTS 7" 7 Inch Headlights Housing Bucket with 7 inch Headlight (White DRL Amber Signal Light) for Harley Motorcycle (Black) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Installed this same headlight, exactly the same way (adding two holes/screws) a few months ago and have been very happy with it.
It even survived a garage incident recently, where the bike tipped into the corner of a toolbox, hitting square on the headlight bezel.
Back to top Go down
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Mbeach, where are you in Utah? We'll be hitting the National Parks there in a couple weeks, before heading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I plan on wearing out my GRiSO tires while there.
Back to top Go down
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Just south of Salt Lake City. The weather is turning here, but will be perfect down south while you’re visiting.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:45 am

These same headlamps (not LEDperf brand - just loads of resellers of chinese inports) are appearing everywhere so no surprise you have same.... on ebay today I could get one for £20 incl postage ....I paid a lot more Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mikesbike
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Mikesbike

PostSubject: Seeking help with a few questions regarding installing a new LED.    Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:07 pm

Hey, I know your posts on this topic are dated, but here goes anyway…
Replacing headlamp with LED Sktyants 7.7 black (like one already mentioned on this thread)
I see that the wire connection on the bike from the stock light is a 4 prong small box connector. The new LED is a plug and go. The stock cable/wires lead behind the instrument panel.
Not sure what next move is.
Any help would be appreciated!
Mike
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:07 pm

The original bike headlight connector is a standard 3 connection H4 plug - old now but an international standard.
It leaks an eath wire off for the pilot light.

WHat has your LED headlight got?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fitting LEDperf headlamp   Fitting LEDperf headlamp Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fitting LEDperf headlamp
Page 1 of 1