12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Well, that's me fucked...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:36 am

For the time being.

Went to fire up the laptop and nothing. Dead as a doornail. No idea why. This unfortunately means I not only have no access to Guzzidiag, by far the most useful programme, but also PAD's and Navi.

Bollocks!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 am

Don't panic. The data on the hard drive could well be OK. Don't let some know-it-all IT type fuck it up for you.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:09 am

It could be simply the on/off switch. That seems the most likely. From my minimal understanding of computers if it was a 'Computer' problem I'd of got the 'Blue Screen Of Death' or some such. As it is the fucker just won't turn on which makes me think its simple.

So what would you recommend rather than taking it to the aforementioned IT idiot? I certainly wouldn't take it to the local bloke apart from the fact he's German he has horrible toenails he insists on brandishing at people in summer, bleargh!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:44 am

It might be the switch, it might be the motherboard. BSOD? hehehe.

No, I was thinking if you take it to get it repaired, make sure thay don't format the drive or somesuch.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 am

One option would be to have whoever you take it to remove the hard drive, put it in an external USB chassis, plug that into another computer and do a full "image" of the drive. (Or you can do this yourself of course)

An image is better than a backup as it is a snapshot of not only your data files and programs. but the entire shebang. *Then* they could about fixing it (or try to) and if the worst happens (i.e. Mr Toenails kills your drive) you have a restorable image.

If the laptop can't be recovered then you still have your drive accessible from any computer you plug it in (maybe you also have a desktop at home) and also the image. (belt and suspenders as they say)

With a lot of laptops it's easy to remove the drive (PCs I mean, I can't speak to Macs)

For the external chassis I mean something like:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

but you will have to know if the laptop drive is IDE or SATA (quick search on the model should tell you)

Hope this helps.
-Steve
Back to top Go down
NorthBayGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:03 am

Hey! Not all techies are mouth-breathing idiots. Some of us even manage to tie our own shoes.  Very Happy 

Too bad we're not on the same continent. I'd be happy to have a look for you...
Back to top Go down
cytocycle
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am

if it's not blue screening, pull the battery out and try powering off the power cord.. Sometime the battery short. Listen for Hard Drive noises.. if it's making noises I would power it down. you need someone to pull that drive out and image it immediately or back it up immediately to another drive.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 am

tocino wrote:
One option would be to have whoever you take it to remove the hard drive, put it in an external USB chassis, plug that into another computer and do a full "image" of the drive. (Or you can do this yourself of course)

An image is better than a backup as it is a snapshot of not only your data files and programs. but the entire shebang. *Then* they could about fixing it (or try to) and if the worst happens (i.e. Mr Toenails kills your drive) you have a restorable image.

If the laptop can't be recovered then you still have your drive accessible from any computer you plug it in (maybe you also have a desktop at home) and also the image. (belt and suspenders as they say)

With a lot of laptops it's easy to remove the drive (PCs I mean, I can't speak to Macs)

For the external chassis I mean something like:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

but you will have to know if the laptop drive is IDE or SATA (quick search on the model should tell you)

Hope this helps.
-Steve

This is what I would do.

- Steve

(PS. Also, moving this to the Darkened Recess™)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Pete, realy nothing, no light, no sound no click? Try pulling battery out and wait a bit and put it back in. What make type it is? can you measure the power supply if that is giving power? Does have a led on it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Tried pulling the battery, nothing. Yes it has an LED, it too doesn't illuminate either when I try to turn it on or when the charger is plugged in. It really is very boring.

Pete
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:21 pm

NorthBayGriso wrote:
Some of us even manage to tie our own shoes.   Very Happy

They let you have shoelaces? I'm stuck with velcro until my next eval...  cyclops 

Pete Roper wrote:
It really is very boring.

Har! (re: the comment, not the state of the laptop)
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Pete, you have a multimeter, see if you have voltage coming out of the power pack/supply. It should be written on the power pack the expected voltage to test for - it might be as simple as getting a new power pack...

If I was a little closer I would run down and give you a hand myself - snot rocket science - used to "Do IT" for 30+ years (and still might get back into it - pays well...).

Follow the KISS principles.

If you want, call me on 0450 536 807 and I can talk you through the process when you have everything there.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
It really is very boring.

That's why I didn't offer any suggestions on how to fix. You hate this shit. Too nerdy.   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 pm

I just can't fathom computers, thassall......
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:19 pm

So Pete, you are now behaving like all the blokes that have a bad running bike, they don't know shit, and when you ask something you get half the answer you asked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:41 pm

pauldaytona wrote:
So Pete, you are now behaving like all the blokes that have a bad running bike, they don't know shit, and when you ask something you get half the answer you asked.

LOL^^^^^^^^
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there. Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 pm

No Paul, I'm happily admitting I'm way out of my depth so I'm taking it to someone who knows what they're doing and expect to pay them for the privilege.

Somewhat different to people who phone you up and expect you to rebuild their bike over the phone and not give you a cent! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 am

Well according to the bloke I took it to its stuffed but he reckons he can clone the hard drive onto another lap top. I think I'll also buy a second, new, laptop to keep as a back-up.

Yup, I'm sure that many others find my inability to understand the digital world odd but its not my area of expertise and I see computers purely as a means to an end.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:47 am

I'm back! Tooled up and ready to mess with anybody's bike silly enough to ask!

New 2nd hand lap top with old software on and a new notebook to be my 'Clean' back up.

S'all good.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well, that's me fucked...   Today at 9:55 am

Back to top Go down

Well, that's me fucked...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: