GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?

Go down 
+3
BrianD
Pete Roper
PunkScout
7 posters
AuthorMessage
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Empty
PostSubject: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:32 pm

So I have some oil leaks on the GRiSO.   I'm pretty sure it's coming off the breather tubes on both sized of the motor.   I park in a structure, so the lights not great - but I put a flashlight to the task and  it looks like those breather tubes what go to the airbox   from the top of hte cylinder heads there near the  throttle bodies are both split and I can see oil drip from one of them, lot of oil smear on the jugs in that vicinity.   I guess my question is - anyone have experience with that?  I wouldnt think I'd get enough oil blowby in the motor for that to even be a thing.  Could I possibly be misdiagnosing this?

This is the best picture I could get, but you can see a drip of oil there right where the hose connects to the motor by the little steel hoseclamp. Hose seems to be split several places as well.  Funny enough, this is on both sides.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Yes, it's very common. Unfortunately the hoses are crap and being pre formed I haven't been able to devise a decent alternative, (Although others have.) and the hoses aren't cheap. We do a lot of hoses so I try to always have a few sets in stock.

When doing the hoses it's also worth replacing the 'Condom' on the large, unused, spigot on the condensor box as well as they too are prone to splitting.

A lot of oily air goes through those hoses. They'll drip like a mo-fo if split.

Pete
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:10 am

Can any one suggest alternative replacement breather hoses as mine are getting old and I have repaired one so far.

European supplier would be good for me
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:27 am

An alternative to the breather hoses leaking is the blanking plate just forward of the phase sensor on the engine specially if its only the left hand side getting oil all over the barrel etc.
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:24 pm

i just got a 2014 GRiSO with only 1200 miles.. and rode it home and saw the right side dripping oil through the hose under the tank spilling over the intake.

Anyone have the step by step instructions for what i need to do to change the hoses and the condom ?

.. my nearest dealer is 3+ hours away.. can i DIY these if i can order the replacement tubes and the condom from the dealer and get it delivered.. i can save on 2 hours of labor and also learn my bike better.

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:26 pm

It's not a difficult task at all.
The only thing that might give you grief is disconnecting the fuel tank.
Here's a video.
It's the same connection on the GRiSO but you have to raise the tank enough to reach under it (I use a couple of blocks of wood) and do it by feel.

So
- remove the side wings (3 bolts each)
- remove the battery
- remove the tank (2 bolts in the battery compartment and the fuel connection underneath)
- remove the old hoses and replace them.
You'll need new clamps as you'll have to destroy the old ones to remove the old hoses.

From memory I think that's it.

Kathakali and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Thank you. I’ll give it a go. Will try and record it and upload the process as well.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:59 pm

You dont need to mong up the clamps if you buy the correct pliers for the job. At Motomoda we like the Oetiker clamps, the squeeze the hose just right.

Kathakali likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:28 am

I think you can do Condom from above with tank off as well (mine wore a hole in itself & pissed oil everywhere)....for some reason that has now left me,  I removed the front cover & ECU to get the separator box out as well but from pic it looks like you may be able to get in there direct.

Kathakali likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 am

Wonder if i should put two of those condoms on.. you know. for added protection Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:40 am

Good input - I'd throw in a coil, couple of diaphragms, only ride when you're not on heat, take a few hormone pills before every ride, and pull out quickly (especially on corners) if you feel you are going to 'come off'.....if that doesn't work then worst that can happen is you end up with another GRiSO in 9 months..

lcjohnny and Kathakali like this post

Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:49 pm

Lol Paul
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 am

Question for the Guru Pete !

I have leak only on the right side tube that is hanging beneath the tank. can i just add this (catch can) and be done with it for now ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:40 am

Err...Why wouldn't it be easier & cheaper /same price (IMHO) to just patch the leaking section of pipe OR cut out the leaking section and replace with bit of similar oil resistant tube and a few straight-through connectors (or bends if it's leaking at the bends) OR chuck in a new pipe.....lots of threads about fixing these pipes on forum already....

Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 am

i agree if it was truly leaking tubes to change it out.. My friends are telling me that it is Not leaking. they are saying these tubes are for venting crankcase pressure out of the engine and while air is let out, it is normal for oil to flow out of these and that's precisely what these catch cans are designed for.. so changing tubes is not going to help in that case.. that said, since its a 6+ year old bike that was hardly used by previous owner, i am going to open it up and check the status. if the tubes look good, i'll put the catch can in.. or else change the tubes..

i am surprised no has has talked about catch cans.. that's why i wanted to get a second opinion.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 pm

There should be no need for a catch can. Gas, laden with oily particulates, is vented through the hoses from the plates on the back of the cylinder heads to the collector box under the steering head where the particulate matter separates out and, theoretically, drains back to the sump via the return pipe. The excess gas and any remaining oil particulates are then fed via a hose to the airbox where they are re-breathed through the engine to reduce pollutant emissions. There is also a 'Spare' spigot on the condensor box that is capped with a rubber 'condom' that can deteriorate and leak.

If the engine is over filled with oil, (And if it is filled to the 'Full' mark on the dipstick it is over filled.) the expelled oil particulates may overwhelm the condensor system and lead to oil pooling in the airbox. The airbox has a drain pipe that goes down under the bike and has a rubber bung in the end. If oil is collecting in it your sump is over filled or there is something wrong with your motor.

If any of the breather hoses are leaking? Replace them. If you are getting excess oil expulsion into the airbox? Lower your oil level and/or find out why your crankcase is pressurising so radically. Using a collector bottle is treating a symptom, not effecting a cure.
Back to top Go down
Kathakali
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kathakali

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Got it.. Eternally thankful for your encyclopedic knowledge Pete !
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
There should be no need for a catch can.

Yes, there should be no need. scratch

Quote :

If you are getting excess oil expulsion into the airbox? Lower your oil level and/or find out why your crankcase is pressurising so radically. Using a collector bottle is treating a symptom, not effecting a cure.

Yes, indeed. bounce

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?   Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil leaks, possibly breather hoses?
Page 1 of 1