GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Do they all sound like this?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
guzzichris
Montanarolo
Montanarolo

Do they all sound like this? Empty
PostSubject: Do they all sound like this?   Do they all sound like this? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:05 am

Can any mechanical wizards help me with this? My GRiSO 1100, 2006 model with just under 12k miles makes a loud clunk when releasing the clutch and engaging drive, I've previously owned 1000S, 1100 Sport and V11 Sport and none of them were this loud. Is it a case of 'they all do this sir' or is something starting to wear? I've uploaded a video to Youtube in which the sound should be easily heard. Many thanks in anticipation of some helpful suggestions or to just let me know all's OK. Cheers Chris.

Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

PostSubject: Re: Do they all sound like this?   Do they all sound like this? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:17 am

Sounds like normal first gear "clunk" to me, but I'm far from an expert. Every motorcycle I've ever had "clunks" into first gear. Although dry clutch bikes like Guzzi and older BMW's are usually better in this respect, since there's no oil drag like there is on a wet clutch.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Do they all sound like this?   Do they all sound like this? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 am

This is when the bike is in 1st gear and you start to release the clutch - a little different to the clunk when the gear lever is pushed to select the gear.

Does it still do this when it is at full operating temperature?
As the temperature falls, the gear oils become a little thicker.
Assuming oils are up-to-date and correct spec.
If it continues at full temp could be worth further investigation. Redline HD Shock-Proof may offer some help in the short term.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Do they all sound like this?   Do they all sound like this? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Haven't listened to the vid but is it the torque arm push flogging around at the front? Piaggio updated this after a couple of years to a softer bush.
Back to top Go down
guzzichris
Montanarolo
Montanarolo

PostSubject: Re: Do they all sound like this?   Do they all sound like this? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:57 am

Thanks for the replies and especially to Pete, I hadn't thought of the torque arm bush, it's a cheap part and therefore I'll order a new (improved) one and hopefully fit it at the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

PostSubject: Re: Do they all sound like this?   Do they all sound like this? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 am

Hi Chris,
Well worth checking how the arm is fixed every once in a while.
I think someone posted on here a while back that their loose torque arm had fractured the mounting & needed re-welding so it's always good to check it.

Cheers...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do they all sound like this?   Do they all sound like this? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Do they all sound like this?
Page 1 of 1