GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?

Go down 
+3
beetle
wyno
Brent S
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Empty
PostSubject: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi all.

Getting close to ditching the original Metzeler Z8s from the GRiSO, and wondering if the GRiSO demands a “heavy duty” spec for the rear tyre or not? I know the GRiSO is no lightweight, but it’s not a massive sports tourer with 40kgs of luggage attached either. So, what is the general consensus here?

Thanks.
Brent.
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Brent, I'm on my second set of Michelin pr5's. I got 19,000 out of the last ones, but I ride like an old man.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:36 pm

It's no lightweight either. I like the Michelin's. The PR4 was great. The PR4-GT, which was designed for those massive sport-tourers with 40kg of luggage was even better on the GRiSO. Make of that what you will. They are no longer available. So far, the R5 I have on the back now is performing admirably.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Thinking of having a lash at the Pirelli Angel GT2. I believe that these also have the heavy duty version, hence the question.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:26 am

Hi Brent

I put the Angel GT heavy duty ones on mine last year and they are so much better than the originals. So far about 4,000 miles and showing very little wear. Very happy with them.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:34 pm

I found out that the mighty GRiSO eats tires rather easily... between the torquy mill and heavy weight to slow down, both tires are short lived.
I tried pretty much everything on the market and the stickier tire I mounted on the bike was the Conti road attack... grabs even better than my beloved Dunlops. But I can only get 2800 miles or so on those Conti, yikes!!
I will admit that I don't ride like Grandpa yet and I live in Florida which is simply flat with 11 turns in 300 miles maybe, lol.
Any other brand I get about 4500/5000 miles on the rear with about 6000 up front.
Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:57 pm

I don't think that there's any markings on my original Metzelers that indicate a heavy duty variant. I've done 8,000kms so far on the OEM tyres, and their wear rate seems OK. Suppose if I plan on doing a bit more open country touring (with bags etc) a heavy duty rear may be an idea. Will keep researching the issue.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:37 am

I've had the Angel GT's and the PR4's and now trying the Scorpion Trail II. Only 800mi so far but for me they are great. Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:17 pm

beetle wrote:

It's no lightweight either. I like the Michelin's. The PR4 was great. The PR4-GT, which was designed for those massive sport-tourers with 40kg of luggage was even better on the GRiSO. Make of that what you will. They are no longer available. So far, the R5 I have on the back now is performing admirably.

Ditto beetle's comments as I have had two sets of the MPR4-GT's on my GRiSO (and Norge) and could not be more pleased with performance, including mileage (tho I care WAY more about dry/wet traction).

FWIW -- at least in the USA -- the 5 now comes in GT that fit GRiSO, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?   Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tyres - Heavy Duty rear required?
Page 1 of 1