GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Exhaust header nuts and bolts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

Exhaust header nuts and bolts Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:18 am

So winter here in the U.K. and although not cold, it’s a good time to do some jobs. One of which is to see to the exhaust header nuts. Like most I imagine these have become corroded, however still intact. I’m just wondering, is it a job worth doing? Is it going to create more problem? I have new nuts and new studs, should the studs all show corrosion. Anyone done this job and advise on anything I should be aware of when carrying this out?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:57 am

Firstly, don't leave them too long if they are the original thin wall 10mm hex open ended nuts. Sure they are neat and stylish but as a fitment for the environment they live in they suck big time!

Remove them with a 10mm single hex socket and a breaker bar after slathering them in penetrating lubricant for a couple of days. Stick the socket on the nut and gradually increase the torque. The longer the lever, (ie the handle.) the greater control and feel you will have as to whether things are moving or the stud is likely to shear. Go at it gently, over time, perhaps applying a bit of heat, and at least where I am they will usually crack loose.

When they do chuck them in the toolbox and then use 13mm stainless dome nuts in their place. Use new Schnoore washers and a dab of nickel based anti seize on the threads. The dome nuts exclude moisture and corrosives and the lube means you may be able to take them off again some time before hell freezes over.

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:02 am

Thank you Pete, clear guidance as always.

As with all GRiSO nuts and bolts, I’m expecting them to be made of cheese. I have dome nuts ready to put on. Should the studs be replaced as well?
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:14 am

I'm in the UK and have replaced mine with stainless steel studs, spring washers and nuts. A couple of the nuts had rusted beyond spanner fitting.

Still look pretty
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:41 am

Brass nuts also work well in this situation
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:45 am

I would stay away from stainless steel nuts. I replaced mine on a 1400 Cali and three out of the four galvanized to the studs. I was unable to undo them, even with the studs held firm in a vice.
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:19 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Firstly, don't leave them too long if they are the original thin wall 10mm hex open ended nuts. Sure they are neat and stylish but as a fitment for the environment they live in they suck big time!

Remove them with a 10mm single hex socket and a breaker bar after slathering them in penetrating lubricant for a couple of days. Stick the socket on the nut and gradually increase the torque. The longer the lever, (ie the handle.) the greater control and feel you will have as to whether things are moving or the stud is likely to shear. Go at it gently, over time, perhaps applying a bit of heat, and at least where I am they will usually crack loose.

When they do chuck them in the toolbox and then use 13mm stainless dome nuts in their place. Use new Schnoore washers and a dab of nickel based anti seize on the threads. The dome nuts exclude moisture and corrosives and the lube means you may be able to take them off again some time before hell freezes over.

What size Schnoore washers should I use here?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:25 am

8mm
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:35 am

Thank you Pete and all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust header nuts and bolts   Exhaust header nuts and bolts Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Exhaust header nuts and bolts
Page 1 of 1