GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC Reaction Rod movement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

CARC Reaction Rod movement Empty
PostSubject: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Checking my rear tire pressure today, I noticed some rotational movement of the reaction rod at the rear bearing.
There is no up-and-down or fore-and-aft movement - but I can rotate the arm maybe 20-30 degrees.
I've never really noticed this before - is this normal - should there be any rotational movement of the reaction rod ?

If not, MGCycle list the front bearing (Silent block rubber bearing #883045 $17.57), but the looseness
seems to be at the rear bearing. Is that one available and replaceable, and how much of a pain is this job ?

I assume I'm going to need the use of a hydraulic press for these bearings
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:36 pm

jeremyb wrote:
I assume I'm going to need the use of a hydraulic press for these bearings

I managed to replace mine by just using a suitable sized socket slightly smaller than the diameter of the bearing. and a larger socket to receive the extracted bearing.  Same method to install the replacement bearing.
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks for the info Dave. I do have a mate with a 10ton press and a liking for free beer !

This is pretty basic, but I assume there should be no movement in the rod at all ? I've never really looked at it before, and can't remember ever checking it. My gearchange is pretty rough, but I've always thought "because Moto Guzzi".

Looking closely at things, the front bearing is in the reaction rod, and the rear is in the axle housing. Unless I can press it off in place (kinda hard to do) that'll have to come off. Oh well, I'm almost due rear tire anyway.

I found a source (my first post) for the front bearing, anyone (Roper-san?) got a source/part# for the rear bearing ?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:12 pm

GU05638130

If your gear change is rough there is something amiss.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:46 pm

You can download the spare parts catalogue at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have a look on page 23.
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Much obliged Gents - I've ordered both the bearings from AF1.

Dave - that link was dead, but it made me remember I'd downloaded that catalog from elsewhere (here?).

Pete - I thought I'd seen comments that replacing these loose bearings helped with the ;stirring a bag o bolts' shifting ?? I've already done the Redline oil thing.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:24 pm

When was your clutch hydraulic system bled? For some reason CARC bikes and V11's are absolute murder on clutch fluid. Worth checking the screws that hold the slave on are tight too.
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks again
Yup. I've had the same experience of the clutch fluid going 'mushy'. Just changed all the fluid - about every year or so here in FL.
Used the remote bleeder tube, so didn't crawl under the bike. I'll check the slave cylinder fasteners now, and maybe Loctite them. (I call that stuff 'Licktite' cos it tastes sweet !).

Rear bearing bits are back-ordered in US.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CARC Reaction Rod movement   CARC Reaction Rod movement Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC Reaction Rod movement
Page 1 of 1