GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First Ride

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
garratyr
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
garratyr

First Ride Empty
PostSubject: First Ride   First Ride Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:10 pm

Hi All,

Well, it's hard to describe how it felt to get on the GRiSO for the first time, with the winter fading and the spring fast approaching. It was a little chilly, but the bike had no problem getting started. Here are a few things that I noticed.

1) It's got a LOT of torque all through the power-band, most unlike my previous bike.
2) Noticed the pull to the right every time I pulled the clutch and gunned the engine. I do this from time to time to let people know I'm around without hitting the horn. Scared the hell out of me though to feel the bike tug to the right like that.
3) The throttle is unusual. It's not as... smooth as it was on the Honda 919. It burbles and chugs, but when you get going it smoothes out. But right at the beginning it seems a little weird. I'll get used to it I'm sure. But what a nice surprise when the engine engaged and the bike lurched forward.
4) The gears are also a little weird. I'm trying to make smooth shifts, but I'm missing something in the throttle to smooth it out. Every bike is different and this one does NOT like the way I'm shifting through the gears. It was a first ride and I spent about half of it following a cop, so no funny business.

I'll get out there tomorrow. First impression, wow... what a machine. I now understand what people say about the bike NOT being for newbies. It definitely likes to be ridden in a certain way and it won't settle for anything but that. Guess I'll have to adapt!

First impression... loved it. Felt like I was smiling the whole time. Have to try and take it easy, let it get it's feet and me, my education, slowly. Next time I go out (tomorrow for sure) I'll be sure to easy off on the throttle, play with smoothing out the shifting and get used to the weight and feel of it. Prolly the best purchase I've ever made. This bike, it's special.

Thanks!
Ray
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

First Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Ride   First Ride Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:32 pm

If the throttle is 'Sudden' in its action when going from negative to positive it's going to be greatly influenced by  the throttle cable free play. Take as much free play as possible out of the cables using the adjusters and check it by turning the bars lock to lock while idling to make sure the engine speed doesn't increase due to stretching at full lock.

Secondly the chances of it having been given a proper tune up during it's pre-delivery are very small. I'd suggest going through a complete tune for which you will need manometers and Guzzidiag (Or equivalent.). Valve clearances should be 4 thou inlet, 6 thou exhaust. Just as an indicator check the air bleeds on the throttle bodies. If they are both open then the tune is wrong.
Back to top Go down
garratyr
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
garratyr

First Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Ride   First Ride Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Hiya,

Second ride was a lot smoother. Shifting is clearly me. Was a little nippy today, as I'm in Montreal, but I had a great time and the bike was simply delightful. Rain and snow for the next few days so I'll have to admire from afar.

Was planning a week long trip in June, but given the state of the world right now I don't know that's going to be happening unfortunately. I'm off for another week, at least, so I'll try and get out there as much as possible and really get to know my new best friend.

Ray
Back to top Go down
bCraig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bCraig

First Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Ride   First Ride Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 am

Good for you Ray ! my first outing of spring(April 20th)was on my GRiSO as well although mine is 10 years older and has a few less valves and CC’s .... I did and do notice shifting on GRiSO is different than my other bikes , taking out as much free play on throttle is good advice and will help , other thing I noticed is my clutch action all happens at very beginning of the lever stroke , maybe yours is similar , I simply try and re-adjust my brain calibration for that ,every time I ride the GRiSO out of shed , takes a couple of whiles but once you dialed in you will find your shifting smooth and sweet .... enjoy your new GRiSO it will make a great best friend .....
Craig
Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

First Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Ride   First Ride Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi Ray congrats on the GRiSO.
Some in our group OntarioGuzziRiders.com were planning a trip in the Laurentian and up to lake St. jean this summer. Not sure if it will happen. Check us out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

First Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Ride   First Ride Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:14 pm

A Beetle map along with the recommended tune up with Guzzi Diag and valve adjustments will help to get rid of that low RPM stumble you are feeling. Once that's done you'll get smooth pickup from 1K RPM with perhaps just the very tiniest of catch at the beginning, but obviously once you are moving, it's not an issue.

GRiSO's are the bomb, absolute grinner of a bike!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Ride   First Ride Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First Ride
Page 1 of 1