GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

oil pan plug??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:19 pm

I went on a 350 mile ride today on my 1200 GRiSO in the first 50 miles I occasionally got a wiff of oii burning but it went away. I completed my trip and when I got home I notices a dark threaded hole in the front of the oil pan. I immediately checked the oil and it was full. I also heard no funny noises in the engine. I stuck my finger in the hole and you can feel threads but seems to be a blind hole. I assume I'm missing a oil pan plug but why didn't I loose any oil???
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Same sump, several different Guzzis with different oil paths. That route is unused on the GRiSO. Nothing to worry about.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm

I tried looking in a parts book but what I found that I thought was it says oil pan plug thread 10x1.0 part #GU31003766. But that's not it. The hole in mine is more like 21mm and a thread I'm guessing is about 1.5. Don't know for sure, can't get a good measurement on it. Can someone set me straight
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Why not try cleaning it, coating it with shellac or similar and then gluing (with the shellac?) a black rubber bung to hide the mess?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:50 pm

A picture of the offending orifice would help.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 pm

I think he's talking about this area.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:24 pm

beetle wrote:

I think he's talking about this area.

Yes thats it. Obviously buy looking at yours I guess a rubber plug will do it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:44 am

If you mean the big 'ole on the bottom right of the sump not the spacer/flange I think but I'm working from memory here, that it is an orifice through which some other machining operation is performed which is then blanked off afterwards.

Anyway in all real terms it is functionless and it is probably blanked off with some sort of threaded plug. Best way to tackle a leak would be to clean the area thoroughly, preferably with the sump off on the bench, in some sort of aggressive degreaser and then spray clean with first brake cleaner and finally contact cleaner. Then apply some Loctite 'Super wick-in' and let it weep into the threads before finally wiping off the excess and then either fill the hole with silastic or a rubber bung sealed with silastic.

Well that's what I'd do.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

oil pan plug?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil pan plug??   oil pan plug?? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

oil pan plug??
Page 1 of 1