GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Engine oil leak

Go down 
+5
jderienzo
JohnA
Pete Roper
beetle
tinotavli
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tinotavli
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
tinotavli

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2020 8:05 pm

New to GRiSO Ghetto as I am now a proud owner of a 2013 GRiSO 8V SE.
I love this machine, but I have a concern. With only 7K miles when purchased I've noticed some sputterting of oil under the right cylinder head. As I've grown more accustomed to the bike and riding it a bit harder, it has increased...a lot.

Looking for insight and solutions.
Thank you[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by tinotavli on Mon May 04, 2020 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Welcome!

Are you able to post a pic? There may be several sources.

ghetto

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm

Can you send me a couple of pictures?

motomoda.ropergmail.com

Only reason I suggest sending them direct is you probably don't have a high enough post count to post pics on the board.

Without seeing anything yet I'd guess most likely causes are a cracked breather hose or leaky plug tube o-ring or gasket.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 am

Pop the wing off. Possibly leaking from the breather. 

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Wed May 06, 2020 3:53 am

The picture Beetle shows is exactly what happened to my 2014 with maybe 8-9,000 miles but on the other side. It can be challenging to get the new one on without lifting the tank some.
Back to top Go down
jderienzo
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jderienzo

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Sat May 16, 2020 6:01 am

Every 3-4000 miles the banjo bolts on my oil lines from the oil cooler to the inside of the cylinder heads back out and cause this issue. It usually starts with the fins on the bottom side getting wet with the oil as it drips from the inside cooling fins to the outside fins but if it progresses enough there’s a big enough drip for the wind to start carrying it to the back side of the bike and on your pant leg similar to the spray I’m seeing on the starter motor in the pictures. Doesn’t require anything other than reaching through the middle of the cylinders with a 19mm spanner (if I recall correctly) to tighten up (perhaps after removing side panels? It’s been a while!).
Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Sat May 16, 2020 6:32 am

jderienzo wrote:
Every 3-4000 miles the banjo bolts on my oil lines from the oil cooler to the inside of the cylinder heads back out and cause this issue.  It usually starts with the fins on the bottom side getting wet with the oil as it drips from the inside cooling fins to the outside fins but if it progresses enough there’s a big enough drip for the wind to start carrying it to the back side of the bike and on your pant leg similar to the spray I’m seeing on the starter motor in the pictures.  Doesn’t require anything other than reaching through the middle of the cylinders with a 19mm spanner (if I recall correctly) to tighten up (perhaps after removing side panels?  It’s been a while!).

Hey Jamie! Where ya been?

We met a few times at the Germantown, OH breakfast. Still have that lovely Tenni?

Terry B.
Back to top Go down
Muzsaxon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Muzsaxon

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Sat May 16, 2020 6:42 am

My 2014 GRiSO with only 2500 miles also had an oil leak in this area. I found that the ends of the breather hoses had decomposed and cracked and were leaking. These are the hoses going from the back of the cylinder head to the air box right behind the steering head. These hoses have a preformed 180 degree bend at one end and are very expensive. I went to my NAPA store and bought some light duty (300 PSI) hydraulic hose 4 each 90 degree elbows and a bunch of hose clamps and made up my own breather hoses. Access is tough around that airbox! Hope things work out for you! Mine has been leak free since doing this.
Back to top Go down
MotoJezek
Carlotto
Carlotto
MotoJezek

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 pm

I just fixed mine. I would suggest to use a real hose clamp on the elbow, though. I think 5/8 works.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Harald
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Harald

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2020 2:05 am

My 2016 had an oil-leak the second seson (2018), located between the coolingfins. The smal srews (in between the finns) that you can se one one of the pictures needed to be thightend (added with loctite).  Acording to my excellent  swedish mechanic screws are there because oilcanals are drilled from outside, and then blocked with these srews.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 am

He is correct.

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine oil leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine oil leak   Engine oil leak Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Engine oil leak
Page 1 of 1