GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gearbox Shimming

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Gearbox Shimming Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox Shimming   Gearbox Shimming Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 am

“Why does my gearbox make a noise like someone dropping a brick in a bucket when I change gear?" Pete Roper

Pete, does this article you wrote apply to the GRiSO as well?

My clutch sounds awful at 50,000 km. is it likely to explode?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Gearbox Shimming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Shimming   Gearbox Shimming Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Nope. The five speed and the six speed are completely different in how they are designed and assembled.

As for the clutch? What sort of noise is it making and when? The 1100's use the old twin plate design which when it is engaged, (Lever pulled in.) makes a high pitched ringing sound. When the lever is released the clutch should be silent.

If when the lever is released you get a knocking sound in neutral it is either the throttle bodies being out of balance or the face cam of the shock absorber rattling its cams due to the issue I mentioned a couple of days ago in another thread. I think there are a couple of pics of the shock absorber assembly on the Motomoda Fecalbook page.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Gearbox Shimming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Shimming   Gearbox Shimming Icon_minitime1Tue May 19, 2020 2:00 am

I had a friend and long time GRiSO owner listen to it today, he reckoned it would be the throw-out bearing. It rattles in gear with the clutch pulled or in neutral clutch out. Idling at 1500.
For the longest time I would sit at the lights with the bike in gear as they taught in riding school, lately I have changed that to selecting neutral. I will check the balance tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gearbox Shimming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox Shimming   Gearbox Shimming Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gearbox Shimming
Page 1 of 1