GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Discolored headers

Go down 
+6
bahamazoo
Pete Roper
Dilliw
eeyore
BowraBoy
rick pope
10 posters
AuthorMessage
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:30 pm

In the pics you guys post, nearly all the header pipes are bright and silver. Mine are straw colored, as stainless does, and also have a blue spot at the tightest bend near the head. Is this normal? I've had stainless exhaust systems before, but not with the blue patches. I like the patina of the straw color, and would rather not loose it. Suggestions please.......
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:27 pm

My pipes are the lovely straw colour you speak of (done 80,000km+). At the end of each ride I check for tar spots aet on the header pipes and on the Termignoni muffler and I hit any spots needed (and usually a light going over of all the pipe area) with a Meguiar's metal polishing paste. Works a treat.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Never tried the above but it could be a option if you want to get back to new.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:44 pm

Optiglanz, but it's no longer available here.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:04 pm

Optiglanz? Sounds like something you'd rub on yer knob if you got the clap!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:27 pm

after 15 years of polishing stainless on private yachts, I've tried boxfuls of products.

autosol and a large tub of elbow grease is the winner.

apply with ya fingers and "git in nice an deep" then buff off with an old cotton singlet... or microfibre if you must Rolling Eyes

you will lose the straw colour and get it back to shiny shiny, but the golden straw will come back after a good hard ride.

the killer for me is the liver spots. these are caused during the pipe bending process and will always return. the bending puts micro cracks in the steel, and its game over Sad

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 pm

These are from a sport. Started off with toilet bowl cleaner with 10% hydrochloric acid. Spray on wait 30 sec and rinse. Then to the buffer, cotton wheel on an old bench grinder. Start with brown or black compound and finish with white.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:33 pm

Mine are now permanently dark, As described by Pat. Better things to do, in my opinion, than polish pipes - very little return on investment.

Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:04 am

mmmhuh, but some of us like nice shiny bits...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:15 am

Shiny sucks! Titanium is the way to go with headers. Not only do they go delightful colours but they get so bloody hot that nothing sticks to them!

They also, of course, make your gonads enormous and your trouser bulge becomes the envy of all lesser men! Wimmins flock to you! You have to beat them off with a shitty stick and your entire life becomes one of prurient exhaustion!

(Don't ask Jude for confirmation on this. She will lie and say it isn't true......)

moby likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 am

I may have rubbed a nob but never with Optiglanz Smile

Spray the stuff on, wait 5 min and then hose it off. Go back over it with Autosol and a rag then you are done. Once a year keeps them looking new. The only problem is I've run out and no one is delivering to us Yanks

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:47 am

Rick,
I used Blue Magic, Metal Polish Cream. Available in all auto parts stores and Walmart's in the US. It's about $8 a jar. I rub it on with 0000 (4-zero abrasion level) steel wool. This was recommended to me by Mike Haven at MPH Cycle about 6 years ago when I bought my bike there. Works pretty well without too much effort. I like mine to look like new. I clean them while having a beer every couple of weeks at best. Takes 5-10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 pm

Thanks guys. I guess I'll try some of these things and report back. Sounds like it may be a multi beer job.
Back to top Go down
Robinson_Spike
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Robinson_Spike

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:42 am

Although I’m not a fan of shiny and have used a scotchbrite pad on my headers and Termi for a racy satin finish I did literally just watch a video on you tube where I witnessed black magic!

They started the engine and warmed up the bronzed and blued exhaust on a BMW RR then sprayed watered down sulphuric acid onto the exhaust which immediately returned to a just fabricated colour - 👀 wow!

Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:21 pm

well if you are going down that road, the is a metal etch priming fluid called 'Ospho', which is mostly phosphoric acid..... it'll bring yer metal bits up a treat with just a few squirts....
just don't let it get on your paint.
or plastics.
or skin.
or breathe it.
but your pipes will shine Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Discolored headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discolored headers   Discolored headers Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Discolored headers
Page 1 of 1