GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Greetings all
A new rider has ridden into town, with a Magni Sfida and an 1100 GRiSO.
Sadly the GRiSO has a noise coming from the gearbox.
He dropped it at speed a few months back and wiped off the external gear change linkages among other damage. He bought the wreck and had a mechanic from his old town do the rebuild.
He went through the gearbox while it was in bits and did  "all but one of the bearings" whatever that means.
On fire up a grinding noise came from the gearbox. He said he would pull it again and replace the last bearing. (I wouldn't have let him near it again!)
He did...and the noise did not go away. An oil change showed shavings on the plug.
I haven't seen or heard the bike yet.  He has it parked up fort he moment.
How long to remove the engine/gearbox? He hopes to send it to a better mechanic this time.
TIA
Stay safe everyone.
Adios
Andy in NZ

Last edited by Andy in NZ on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Fuck nose what he's done. The six speed used in the CARC bikes is impregnable, really. I've never had to rebuild or even go into one in 13 years.

Did this bloke have the gearbox splitting tools? They're pretty vital.

I have second hand boxes, several of them, for $500+freight I'll send one over in exchange for the shitter which I'd really, really, like to take apart!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:03 pm

Whoops. Just saw it was an 1100. Don't have one of them, although I could build one with Breva gearing if he wanted.

I really want to see this gearbox.
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 am

Hi Pete
Thanks for the reply. Ill let him know today. What difference would there be in the Breva gearing?
I mistook the Magni too, its an Arturo. I'm still jealous though.
Stay safe everyone
Adios
Andy in NZ
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:33 am

I believe the Breva has slightly higher gearing, but I'm not sure it this is achieved in the gearbox or the bevel box (or both).
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:37 am

I believe every CARC bevel box is the same.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:59 am

My online search shows gearing the same, but always pays to check.
There's all sorts of lazy cut n paste stuff and other crap on line.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:59 am

The Breva box has slightly higher primaries from memory. All CARC bevelboxes are the same, the only difference being the colour they are painted.
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:12 am

Thanks for the reply Pete. Sorry for the delay its been a busy week. I'll get Ralph to ring you at work to discuss details, dollars etc.
Thanks for all the help.
Stay safe all.
Adios
Andy in NZ
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:54 pm

Andy, my number is, from NZ, +61417462440. I'll be fascinated to see what has happened to it. I dunno what would be the best way of shipping it? Probably just take it to someone like DHL if it's too big and heavy for the post office.

Thing is the 'Nuovo Six Speeds' really are pretty much impregnable. All I can imagine is that it's been assembled incorrectly. I'd assemble the Breva box and send it off but it's got a small chip out of one of the bolt holes, nothing structural but noticeable. I've got the bit that broke off and I'd bet it could be glued back on easily enough so I could still do that if he'd like?

Anyway I eagerly await his call.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town   Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gearbox noise issues for new arrival to town
Page 1 of 1