GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?

Go down 
+6
SMTCapeCod
GuzziLooper
OldMojo
tvboy
Oz1200Guzzi
whyrichard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
whyrichard
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
whyrichard

Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Empty
PostSubject: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:01 am

Hey guys,

So i'm super excited to have the guzzi up and running, a trunk and tankbag all close to setup...

I'm used to doing longer trips, all backroads. these would sometimes be cross country trips that take a month, solo. I would use paper maps for these primarily, and only gps when needing to navigate a denser area.

Now I live in New York City, have two kids, and need to adapt or let my moto love die... it won't happen!

So, i am wondering if you all can recommend any apps for the iphone that are geared towards finding and navigating good motorcycling roads... google maps is primarily geared to getting to a destination as quickly as possible --not interested. I am wondering if there is an app that would do what i use paper maps for... i would highlight all the roads that looked good, pick an eventual destination, and then just try to hit as many of the good roads as possible - time be damned.

any suggestions?

thanks,
r
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Eat, Sleep, Ride (ESR) should be in your app store. Let's you record your rides, and see others near you.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:04 am

I'm using the TomTom ap. It doesn't require cell service to function in real time. You down-load the map area you want and it stays in the phone. Then all it needs is a GPS signal. It's very user-friendly IMO and it has features that let you avoid highways, toll roads, etc and you can select twisty roads. It works well for me.
Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 am

I would take a long look at an app called Scenic. I did some deep diving into several apps some months ago, and concluded that Scenic might be the way to go, but since there's not yet an Android version I'm SOL. Most of the others I deleted before even leaving the house.
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:29 pm

OldMojo wrote:
I would take a long look at an app called Scenic. I did some deep diving into several apps some months ago, and concluded that Scenic might be the way to go, but since there's not yet an Android version I'm SOL. Most of the others I deleted before even leaving the house.

I agree. After trying Avenza, Gaia GPS, InRoute, and Furkhot, Scenic is my go-to app for route planning. There is supposed to a update coming up soon that will make it even better via improved map data. It also allows you to log maintenance items, share routes and photos, and uses offline maps that are updated as part of the subscription.
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:33 am

I just started, have managed to eschew apps and electronica for the most part. In keeping with that tendency, I'm using Beeline device for visual navigation and Viewranger for route management.
Still learning the latter and the various ways to work with the file type.
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:57 am

SMTCapeCod wrote:
I just started, have managed to eschew apps and electronica for the most part.  In keeping with that tendency, I'm using Beeline  device for visual navigation and Viewranger for route management.  
Still learning the latter and the various ways to work with the file type.

It’s learning the app that takes all the time; after you’ve auditioned a few to figure out whether they’ll work or not. I still find myself jumping around between Scenic and either Gaia GPS or Google when doing route planning as only the satellite images are accurate in showing when a road changes from paved to dirt. This is a problem here in southern Arizona given the number of road types and governmental entities.

I started using a GPS about 20 years ago with a Garmin 2610 after nearly getting clobbered in trying to figure out an intersection on a map in some small town in Pennsylvania. The Garmin was better but the screen failed too often and route planning had to be done on a PC. Using the iPhone and the Scenic app allows me to use less gear and to fairly easily lay out a route on an iPad. Onboard the bike the Scenic app route cues are easy to follow with simple graphics and directions. To my good fortune the previous owner of my GRiSO put a nice cellphone holder right in the middle of the handlebars.
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:32 pm

I have been using REVER and so far so good, works well on road and offroad. I just use the free version. Others I ride with use the Premium and can follow other riders in the group. Very useful when you get off the beaten track.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Maps.me is pretty good offline map system.

and its free!!

been using it here in Oz - along with paper.... you can't beat a table sized map for planning.

my buddy managed to get from Scotland to Thailand using it.

and yes, he meant to Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:29 pm

I like Scenic and I have used OSMAND on my main GPS which is a "Rugged" Kyocera Android phone: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have a look here for some day trip ideas: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I will be heading to Cold Spring on Sunday for a small gathering under the
"Bikes and Breakfast" Banner:

BIKES & BREAKFAST | COLD SPRING, NY
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:18 pm

hey guzziownr,

That looks like some nice riding - I used to live in the Berkshires - Greenfield Mass - Shelburne falls area. That was in my childhood days before motorcycling was a thing for me.
it's beautiful part of the country,  but long winters!

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:16 pm

Chris W wrote:
hey guzziownr,

That looks like some nice riding - I used to live in the Berkshires - Greenfield Mass - Shelburne falls area. That was in my childhood days before motorcycling was a thing for me.
it's beautiful part of the country,  but long winters!

I was up by Phoenicia/Big Indian during the recent thaw. The roads, and eventually the GRiSO were covered in dirt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?    Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Best App for motorcycle touring / scenic / sport mapping?
Page 1 of 1