GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil light ON, advice needed

Go down 
+11
sideshowbob
eeyore
Kel
kiwi dave
jderienzo
beetle
paulbrice
lcjohnny
Pete Roper
BetoMx
petarzil
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Best to pull the old one & take it with you when you collect any generic options (quicker to check)....I bought BMW series 1 (Guzzi Cat posted that somewhere !) and it fitted (despite wider - see pics)...I put 2011 model year and 1.6 litre on euro parts car bits website - any generic one local to you will do same....I checked now & got even more similar one (see website snip).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:56 am

For future reference, BMW OEM part code is 12618611273, it fits 12x1.5 and 0.35 bar pressure. Any other aftermarket manufacturers with crossrefference will do the job.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:13 am

Has it cured the light problem?

And I apologise for getting shitty before. I'd had a bad day.

BetoMx likes this post

Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:36 am

No problem Pete, i got you. As i said, its easier to say than to write, cause misunderstanding can occur.

I ordered the part, arriving tomorrow. I will update as soon as i test it.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:29 am

I have replaced my oil pressure switch a couple of times now and I use a BMW series 1 one (2007 I think), same connector [if you have the square connector].

Usually a motor part equivalent item, not factory.

Just check thread size
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:44 pm

After several days, the Pharmacist has solved the problem.

Changed oil pressure sender switch from BMW, see details above, changed oil, filter, remapped by our guardian angle @Beetle, cleaned spark plugs, and basically clean up everything on the way.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Oz1200Guzzi, lcjohnny and BetoMx like this post

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Does the oil light come on and stay on with the ignition on and not running? If it does that, it may be a bad oil pressure sensor, or connection. I have had this on my GRiSO, 1200S and the MGX. In the case of the MGX it was the spade connector was loose. On the GRiSO and 1200S it is a bad pressure switch. On the 1200S a start and restart will clear it, but I had to replace the sensor on the GRiSO. YMMV
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:45 pm

Problem is solved, most of the people pointed me to the right direction. It was bad oil pressure sender switch, which i replaced by an oem BMW, see details in the post above, but also as Beetle suggested, the bike was overfueling also, so changed the oil and filter, updated new bettle map, cleaned spark plugs, and everything that was on the way.

Tested for 700km,oil level unchanged, a bit lower fuel consumption, a really a better feel, and amoother ride.

beetle and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm

beetle wrote:

Steady on, Pete. He’s a chemist, not an engineer.

at least he's not a physicist, those guys don't listen to anyone and are absolutely useless
Back to top Go down
hipower
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
hipower

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Yes, I'm sorry. I'd just had a very frustrating day and it seemed that the obvious suggestion of the switch was being ignored. I didn't see any mention of a new one being sourced. That sort of thing happens a lot and drives me bonkers!

Pete,

I found a switch at NAPA that fit. Somewhere (maybe here) I crossed referenced a part number and NAPA had it in stock and it fit and behaved exactly as the original switch.

Then you told me the stupid idiot light doesn't illuminate when the key is on and the engine isn't running. Like ever other vehicle I've ever owned.

So I suspect the original switch is still good, and I still have it. It passes a simple continuity test when I insert a small rod into the cavity and push.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:59 pm

hipower wrote:

So I suspect the original switch is still good, and I still have it. It passes a simple continuity test when I insert a small rod into the cavity and push.

I wouldn't put it back in. I had lots of issues with oil switches working fine and then crapping out in the line of duty. I would just bin it, they aren't that expensive.
Back to top Go down
mrwrinkle
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
mrwrinkle

PostSubject: Oil pressure switch and the red 'warning'? light.   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 pm

I'm getting totally confused about the function and purpose of the red 'oil pressure warning' lamp on my 1200SE. On any other vehicle I am used to this kind of lamp being 'on' with the ignition on but motor not running, in fact that is how it behaves on my V7 having just replaced what I thought was a faulty switch.
Is this not the case with the GRiSO, and if not when does the lamp illuminate? I could swear that on my previous 1100 GRiSO it would stay lit when the engine wasn't running. Reading all the posts I could find here, it seems that these switches fail quite often, but am I barking up the wrong tree just because my light doesn't stay on with the ignition on?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Nope. ALL the lights on the dash illuminate at key on as the tachometer does it's sweep when that is completed only those with an active signal stay on, so usually neutral and sidestand. The oil pressure warning lamp will only illuminate if the pressure is low when the engine is running. If that occurs you will also get an 'Oil can' warning in the bottom of the LCD screen.

mrwrinkle likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil light ON, advice needed   Oil light ON, advice needed - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil light ON, advice needed
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2