GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

NOOB'y NOOB

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
Mr Griso
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Just found out about GRiSO Ghetto, what a great forum! Looking forward to many advices on how to maintain and upgrade my GRiSO.

It's a '10 Tenni green. Not many mods done.  PC V, oxygen optimizer, BMC air filter and retainer all from GuzziTech's Mr Todd. A really great guy. I installed all his stuff last winter and now it really runs Twisted Evil But best of all, the throttle is much smoother when going off idle after coasting. The other mods include a homemade tail tidy and a MIVV titanium silencer. It had to be Italian  tongue but I have had a look at GuzziTechs underslung system and I really like it. Oh well, we will see about that....
Tires: They have to be Italian you know  Razz  Pirelli Angel GT, wow what a difference to the Scorpions. Just love them. Probably not the first choice if you do track days but I don't do that.

Problems? Nah, it's a Guzzi Smile   Well, I did have the arcing plug cap syndrome on the left cylinder but that is about it, apart from the high idle of course!  Embarassed But I fixed all that so now it is perfect again. When I figure out how to attach pic's I will.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm

High idle? Target idle is 1200RPM. If its tuned correctly it shouldn't vary.

Pete
Back to top Go down
cytocycle
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cytocycle

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 pm

I had a high idle because the throttle balance hose was loose on one throttle body.. push the both on and check the crimp.
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:26 am

My shop manual says target idle is 1100 +/- 100 rpms? Is that a typo? Please advise.

It was 1500 before I plugged the idle stepper motor hose and now it is about 1200 rpms when the engine is warmed up. That is just a temporary fix until I set the throttle balance. Idle has always never been erratic, just high.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 am

Ah, so it isn't tuned right. That would explain it. Just hope somebody hasn't messed with the throttle stop screw.

When you balance the TB's you'll need to re-set the TPS. These bikes are very sensitive to balance and TPS irregularities.

Also be aware that if the engine has been run for any time, especially if run hard, with the oil at the 'Full' mark on the dipstick it may if soiled the butterflies and stepper which will also promote a high idle.

While I've never had a properly tuned bike with a clean set if TB's misbehave at idle chances are the PCV/AT and 'Optimiser' aren't helping. Yeah, I know. I'm wrong, don't care. Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:20 am

nobody has messed with the throttle stop or linkage screws. The yellow marking paint is untouched. And yes I need the GuzziTech software to reset the TPS's and also need to make my own balancer.... What is the best target idle for a warmed up engine? 1100 or 1200 rpms?  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:41 am

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:19 am

If the lambda is turned off you may find the software you are using allows you to adjust the CO trim. If it does aim for the 1200.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:28 am

1200 it is then,  Thanks all
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:50 am

Mr GRiSO wrote:
nobody has messed with the throttle stop or linkage screws. The yellow marking paint is untouched. And yes I need the GuzziTech software to reset the TPS's and also need to make my own balancer.... What is the best target idle for a warmed up engine? 1100 or 1200 rpms?  Rolling Eyes

Welcome to the ghetto!  If I am not mistaken, I believe you are our first Swede, fantastic!  Surely Surströmming should be your Spirit Animal... Pillage! 

Since you have a choice, rather than spending $450 on the Guzzitech (Technoresearch) software to reset your TPS, consider downloading the Guzzidiag software (w/ a modest donation) and purchasing a set of cables for ~$30.  The Guzzidiag software is much more versatile, does more, is easier to use and is supported by saints without profit motive.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:32 am

Indeed! Surströmming is great but not for the fainthearted... but then neither is the GRiSO I think Cool . But you are right, some Swedes eat Surströmming but most that do comes from the northern part of the country like I do. Perhaps I should take this opportunity to enlighten the few members of this superior forum who does not know about this delicacy - Surströmming is a fermented herring and the scent (some ignorant people refer to it as a smell) is something else  Razz 

I will check the GuzziDiag. Do you know where can I order the cables and the fittings for the throttle balancing that goes into the manifolds?

Thanks for the info and the welcoming,
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:35 pm

I believe the cables can be ordered from a place Mark, (Beetle.) found in the UK that always seem to work, some of the other sources are a bit hit and miss. I'm pretty sure its listed in the Guzzidiag thread.

As for fittings? I assume you have a manometer or gauges of some sort? If not probably the best option is to buy a Morgan Carbtune, this is a very good and accurate device and superior to most of the other options. It will *Probably* come with screw in fittings for the ports, (I'm not sure on this as I use a different tool but its probably too expensive for non-professional users.) if not though simply buy a pair of 6mm Brembo brake nipples, grind the ends off and use them with an o-ring on the threads, they work just fine!

Balancing the TB's is a bit different from the earlier bikes. You DON'T use the linkage rod to balance, you use the screw on the bell crank under the LH TB. Both air bleeds should be closed, engine warm, (>60*C) and balance achieved with the screw @approximately 3,500-4,000rpm. The engine should then be stopped, the TPS re-calibrated, (This is important!) and then the engine re-started and which ever side has the HIGHEST manifold depression should have the air bleed opened to achieve perfect idle balance.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks Pete, much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm

No worries my friend. Glad to be of help.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:29 am

Mr GRiSO
Welcome.
You have just found the BEST place for GRiSO's.
These guys will have your GRiSO running smooth as a baby's bum. (Aussie saying)
My 1100 is so smooth after installing Beetles map.
Enjoy the site and enjoy the GRiSO.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:34 am

Thank you Harry,

/Ron
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NOOB'y NOOB Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOOB'y NOOB   NOOB'y NOOB Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

NOOB'y NOOB
Page 1 of 1