GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Replacing original speedo

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Replacing original speedo Empty
PostSubject: Replacing original speedo   Replacing original speedo Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I wanted to replace the original speedo when I customised my 1200 8v GRiSO

Because of the circuit board incorporated in it I wasn't sure if the bike would run without the original speedo.
My solution was to convert the bike to a single seat version with a tail tidy that provides room to house the original speedo if necessary.
I extended the loom and that is how I have it set up at the moment.

I've replaced the left hand switch assembly with one that has the indicator switch above the horn button and allows me to run
with lights off, parker light on or headlight on as I choose.

I've retained the trip 1, trip 2, mode and push button switches from the original switch.
This allows me to use the original speedo for tuning and diagnoses if necessary.

It is evidently possible to start and run the bike with the original speedo disconnected.
To operate the bike this way alternate wiring would be necessary for indicators etc.

I was intending to go that route, leaving the loom and plug for the original speedo there to plug in for diagnoses etc.

However Mark (Beetle) has informed that there is an ambient air pressure sensor incorporated in the original unit that could not easily be
replicated.
I'm not sure how necessary it is but since I can keep the original tucked out of the way in the tail tidy
I'm inclined to leave it connected to do its thing.

Initially I chose a Trailtech speedo as the replacement but it is not quite what I want.
What I would prefer is a duplicate of the instruments on the V7iii but that just seems to be in the too hard basket.

The compromise I've chosen is an Acewell unit. the same configuation as the original with an analog rev counter and digital speedo
but a much neater looking unit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Once that turns up and I've rebuilt the instrument console to accommodate it. The only other thing I'm going to do is black satin coat the headers and pipe to the muffler, which will give me a complete black exhaust system.

The rebuild has taken a bit over 6 months which includes the roller conversion and replacing two bent inlet valves.
I'm really happy with the results.

I felt that the GRiSO had a look that was quite unique and wanted to enhance that, building a long distance reliable touring version.

Mi_ka likes this post

Back to top Go down

Replacing original speedo
Page 1 of 1