GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First tune - up 07 GRiSO

Go down 
+6
Bulldog9
Clancy
antmanbee
Nobleswood
guzziownr
Martini
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Martini
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Martini

First tune - up 07 GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:22 pm

For the 6000 mile tune - up I rode the GRiSO to Powersports Outlet in Prescott Arizona to have them perform the maintenance. I had purchased the Beetle map several months before and asked them if they would re-map the ECU as part of the tune - up, they said it was not endorsed by Guzzi and might break the bike so it didn't get done.
the bike was there for 7 days they spent 4 hours on the tune - up @ $100.00 an hour plus parts came out to $736.45.
This is my first Guzzi and I really like it but the tune ups are f'n expensive. Is that $100.00 an hour the going rate ?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Wait, you have an '07 with 6K?

Anyway, $100 per hour is pretty standard. You can do the map yourself or find a bribeable teenager to do the computer part. It is dead simple.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:19 pm

I'm not sure what they did for 4 hours on a tune up?
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:36 pm

antmanbee wrote:
I'm not sure what they did for 4 hours on a tune up?

That's what I'm thinking.
I'm a rank amateur, but it still doesn't take me that long even doddling along with a beer in one hand.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:57 pm

Geeze, that's steep. This is why I've always wrenched on my own stuff. Not wanting to rub salt in the wound, but that is more than I spent this year maintaining all 4 of my bikes, including a set of tires, and brakes for two bikes.

Average 6K maintenance cost to include all fluids, plugs, and filters is less than $100. Coming up poor, we couldn't afford to go to a shop for service, now, having the skill, I enjoy it, and prefer to save the greenbacks.

One of the best things of owning a Guzzi is that they are mostly dead simple to work on, especially routine service. There is a wealth of wisdom here, and in the Guzzi community, as well as likely local Guzzi guys who can help you out when you are ready for the next service.

As for the Beetlemap, Mark has a great tutorial, and link to the site to purchase the cables, and the Guzzi Diag and programs to read and write maps is free. It is a great tool.

That's a great low mileage GRiSO you have!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:17 pm

If they spent four hours on a 'Tune-up' I'd like to know what they did. We usually charge 3.5 hrs for a full service but we change all fluids, including brake and clutch, both oil and air filters get checked and changed although air is only changed if filthy. TB balance, valves etc of course and things like shock linkage bearings are checked as well as running a tool over all of the major fasteners.

Unless they have 'Writer' they wouldn't be able to upload one of Mark's maps which would mean they would probably be dependent on the factory PADS system which can't do a lot more than re-set the TPS and self learning parameters. Hopefully they didn't touch the throttlebodies because they don't sound particularly cluey. I'd learn how to do it yourself if you don't trust them.

Gootzibird13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:45 am

Did the 20,000km at Corsa in Toronto; all oils and filters, change brake and clutch fluids, grease swing arm, change worn shitty Mezler for PR5 (I bought the tires separately), replace vertical tire valves with L shaped ones, valves, TB sync all up c$1000. Very happy!

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
lablame
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
lablame

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Is all fluids includes forks oil ?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Nope. You can usually go to 40,000 or so or until a seal lets go. You'll generally notice when the suspension is getting tired. My Matris shock is in for an overhaul and mods right now. It's got well over 50K on it! Wasn't leaking, still worked OK but it was time.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Also, a leaky seal might just be dirt under the seal. My '13 was leaking badly on one side. I pulled the forks and used a seal mate before and after changing the fork oil. Perfect after that.
Back to top Go down
Martini
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Martini

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:14 pm

Bulldog9 wrote:
Geeze, that's steep. This is why I've always wrenched on my own stuff. Not wanting to rub salt in the wound, but that is more than I spent this year maintaining all 4 of my bikes, including a set of tires, and brakes for two bikes.

Average 6K maintenance cost to include all fluids, plugs, and filters is less than $100. Coming up poor, we couldn't afford to go to a shop for service, now, having the skill, I enjoy it, and prefer to save the greenbacks.

One of the best things of owning a Guzzi is that they are mostly dead simple to work on, especially routine service. There is a wealth of wisdom here, and in the Guzzi community, as well as likely local Guzzi guys who can help you out when you are ready for the next service.

As for the Beetlemap, Mark has a great tutorial, and link to the site to purchase the cables, and the Guzzi Diag and programs to read and write maps is free. It is a great tool.

That's a great low mileage GRiSO you have!
That 4 hours was at $100.00 an hour, plus all fluids gaskets new battery 4 spark plugs oil filter = $326.
The mechanic said he didn't have time to look at the GRiSO forum, he seemed frustrated that he never heard of Beetle map or any re-maping software one would think that shop would want to know about software upgrades, well they shot themselves in the foot !
That was a one time visit.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:16 pm

[/quote]
That 4 hours was at $100.00 an hour, plus all fluids gaskets new battery 4 spark plugs oil filter = $326.
The mechanic said he didn't have time to look at the GRiSO forum, he seemed frustrated that he never heard of Beetle map or any re-maping software one would think that shop would want to know about software upgrades, well they shot themselves in the foot !
That was a one time visit.[/quote]

No, the shop mechanics don't want to know about Wild Guzzi, they are the experts and they can barely tolerate us mere mortals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First tune - up 07 GRiSO   First tune - up 07 GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First tune - up 07 GRiSO
Page 1 of 1