GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Scary engine noise

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
wrrhen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:37 pm

I took possession of my 2011 1200 rolleriized GRiSO about a year ago. It has 20k miles. Soon after I got it I started it one time and it had a terrible rattling in the engine. I tried revving it slightly thinking it was low oil pressure but nothing changed so I shut it down. 10 minutes later I started it again and all was well ever since then. The oil sump was to proper level and the oil pressure switch seems to be working properly. Today the same thing happened today. Same symptoms, same test, same results. It;s fine now again but it's very scary when it happens. Very expensive sounding. Anybody have any experience with this or ever heard of it? All help greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:22 pm

Most likely the tensioner plunger taking a while to pump up.

If it hasn't been done yet I'd replace the sump spacer gasket with one of the thicker aftermarket ones, you may find the original shitty one has blown out which lowers both pressure and volume.
Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:35 am

Pete Roper wrote:

If it hasn't been done yet I'd replace the sump spacer gasket with one of the thicker aftermarket ones, you may find the original shitty one has blown out which lowers both pressure and volume.

Pete, Can you suggest where or who sells this aftermarket gasket?

wrrhen likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:26 am

Make sure you check hole size, but this is one, thicker green material.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:22 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

Pete,I have a upper and lover gasket coming next week. Is there anything I should or could do about the plunger spring while I have the pan off. I'm not really familiar with the oiling system 'til I see in there. TIA
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Plunger spring is at the top of the motor. Just replace both gaskets, refill with oil and you should be good to go. See if the original top sump gasket has a piece missing as you disassemble. There are a few bolts around the oil filters (they live in the dark) that also needs to be found and removed to get the sump off, aside from the ones around the perimeter.

From memory, there are 4 bolts holding the spacer plate on, after the sump comes off. Go slow and careful - should take around 30-40 minutes the first time.
Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:03 pm

So I have the lower sump off. NOw I have to figure out where the bolts are that hold the spacer. Also When I have the spacer off I'd like to check the rod bearings. Can I do that w/o replacing the rod bolts and what do I torque them to when I put it back together? This would be a lot easier if I had a manual
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 pm

Download the service manual from the Ghetto library.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Evilgarfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

You are right again Pete. The upper spacer gasket had a piece missing rigth next to the oil gallery at the rear of the spacer. I'm trying to put it together but I'm confused. I have the plate in place with 2 interior bolts at each end. however I don't have the oil filter(3 in engine illustrations) (4 pipe) and (9 intake pipe) This pipe(9) It seems I can't get in without removing the spacer and also if this is what it looks like,an oil pickup I don't see that it's sealed to the oil pump which would let it suck air. I'm sure there's obviously something I'm not understanding about this spacer. Can you help me?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Sorry? I'm not sure what you mean.

If I put these pictures up from the parts lists perhaps you can explain what you think is missing.

Pic A.

Pic B.

Back to top Go down
wrrhen
Carlotto
Carlotto
wrrhen

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:30 pm

OK I have the spacer bolted to the engine. But item 9 in pic b is not instslled and I'm not sure how to get it installed. Must I take the spacer out to install in on the spacer then align the tube while raising the spacer into place?
Cheer,
Older fart
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:13 am

9 on the second diagram and 3 on the first are the pick ups for the oil pump: lubrication and oil cooling systems both mount together
The cooling one requires a bit of accuracy to get it in as the pick up is high inside the sump
this is from pages Eng 83 & 84 of the manual

Also if you copy these pictures out of the pdf and view them in any old jpeg viewer they are larger and often much clearer

Last edited by lcjohnny on Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:32 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : stupidity)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:19 pm

wrrhen wrote:
OK I have the spacer bolted to the engine. But item 9 in pic b is not instslled and I'm not sure how to get it installed. Must I take the spacer out to install in on the spacer then align the tube while raising the spacer into place?
Cheer,
Older fart

No the cooling circuit pick up goes up through a hole in the case and inserts into the pump. The pump has two o-rings, which aren't numbered but you can see them illustrated above the tube, 9. Use some rubber grease on the outside of the pipe and wriggle it and it will slip through the o-rings and it's bracket bolted in place. Yes, the first time you do it it's fiddly but just be patient and don't force anything and you'll get there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scary engine noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scary engine noise   Scary engine noise Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Scary engine noise
Page 1 of 1