GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe

Go down 
+6
MalG
GUZ21
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Stubbie
Clancy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Empty
PostSubject: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:28 pm

So having lost one of my H & B Street Bags out in the countryside somewhere I needed a new set of bags.

The Street bags have served me well.
The bags themselves have held together over 5 years of constant use.
But the zips have been failing regularly and would not be easy to get replaced.

So I was looking for something without zips.
The Nelson Rigg Adventure bags fit the bill but I didn't have suitable racks to tie them down.
Looking back at the Hepco & Becker site I found that they have a new bag range for the C-Bow system that are of the same zip-less style as the Nelson Riggs ones (and look better too).

So after paying through the nose and a few other orifices as well, I have the new bags in hand and really, really like them.
A bit more volume and the square shape makes the volume easier to fill.
But the exhaust side one sits uncomfortably close to the exhaust.
So close that I'm not willing to do a test ride it else I melt the bag.

Would appreciate ideas for options.
Would adhesive heat shield stuck to the back of the bag likely to be sufficient?

Some pics so you can see what I mean.

Old style oval Street Bag curves away from the end of the exhaust = no problems.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

New square style Xtravel Bag is very close to the exhaust

This is how the Xtravel bag looks on the GRiSO

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:42 pm

Craig try taking the bag off and putting a spacer between the C bracket and the steel rack.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Yes, spacers. I had to do that with my factory bags.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:42 pm

So 3 extra litres of capacity, times 2, that is 6 litres of alcohol you could bring - stuff the clothes. I quite like those. Hmm he muses...

$500 Pacific Pesos for the pair. Hmm he muses...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:55 pm

They do appear spacious.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
So 3 extra litres of capacity, times 2, that is 6 litres of alcohol you could bring.

Exactly!! Very Happy drunken

Stubbie wrote:
Craig try taking the bag off and putting a spacer between the C bracket and the steel rack.

beetle wrote:
Yes, spacers. I had to do that with my factory bags.

That's it!
I've been down at the bike looking at how it would be if I moved them further forward, or up, or both, but further out is betterer and simplerer cheers

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:57 pm

You got it
Back to top Go down
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
GUZ21

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:22 am

Or you could just lower the exhaust a tad, which may be simpler than you think.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Get hold of a silicone baking tray (sometimes found by guzzisti in charity shops, otherwise some kitchen stores), cut them up and affix to the heat-endangered area. That self adhesive Velcro stuff works, the super-velcro is best. That silicone is rated for 500C. Otherwise, I do have a sheet of (4 or 5mm thick) exhaust gasket material that might be worth trying.
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Fixed cheers

I used spacers that are about 17mm long with high tensile M6 bolts.
I played around a bit, using single spacers, then double spacers.
Then I realised that if I loosened up the brackets I could put a single on the front with double on the back, which straightens the bags front to back and still 'kicks out' the bag from the exhaust.
I was going to call it done at this point but when standing back and looking at it I saw that the overall width was wider than the bars (but still narrower than the mirrors).

I finally settled on no spacers at the front and a single spacer on the back.
This still straightens the bags and keeps the overall width at a similar width to the old bags.
I ran the bike, feeling for exhaust air hitting the bag, which it didn't seem to.
Rode in today and felt the bag upon arrival and it wasn't hot, so I think I'm done.

Hope all this helps someone else down the track.

Thank for all the help and suggestions  Thumbs Up

Single spacer at front, double at back.

No spacer at front, single at back.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Egads Craig, that an air gap! Excellent. Should I pull the trigger, I probably won't have that issue as my exhaust is low.

Good job.

Might Narrabeen camping be off now?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:22 pm

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Think the single might be better as the double spacer might be putting to much twist on your bracket.

moby likes this post

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Stubbie wrote:
Think the single might be better as the double spacer might be putting to much twist on your bracket.

When I did the double spacer at the back I put a single spacer on the front, so the twist was the same.

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Might Narrabeen camping be off now?

More than likely.
And if it is I'll be looking for something to do to fill that week of leave I have.
Hmmm.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:57 pm

I know of a gathering...
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:47 am

How hot does the indicator get when the motor is running? I melted one on my GRiSO when I modified a Mistral carbon-fibre muffler originally fitted to a 1200 Sport.

Unfortunately, I failed to notice the indicator was directly in line with the exhaust gases. Expensive lesson learnt.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Those are really nice looking bags!!! I may need to look into a set of those.

Thumbs Up

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:13 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
How hot does the indicator get when the motor is running?  I melted one on my GRiSO when I modified a Mistral carbon-fibre muffler originally fitted to a 1200 Sport.

Unfortunately, I failed to notice the indicator was directly in line with the exhaust gases.  Expensive lesson learnt.

Hey Dave.
I was aware of that issue before the high pipe went on so I monitored it closely for a while.
Doesn't seem to affect my indicator, although using the original mounting bracket that came with the pipe meant that I couldn't fit the exhaust properly to the connection at the pretzel, so I made a new bracket.
This may have changed the position of the outlet enough to not blow on the indicator.
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:16 pm

Nice and roomy set there! Zebra stripes compliment the Silver/black Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:57 am

I use the proximity of my left bag to the exhaust as a feature. Keeps my hot meals and coffee warm Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe   New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New bags.....New Problem -----> Heat from the High Pipe
Page 1 of 1