GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

valve adjustment -- what a difference!

Go down 
+3
Yahu
Chris W
scagliog
7 posters
AuthorMessage
scagliog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
scagliog

valve adjustment -- what a difference! Empty
PostSubject: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:40 pm

Hello,

last week I proceeded to do the valve adjustment to my GRiSO. Used the step by step on this forum -- really helpful. It was quite easy actually!

The bike has 10K miles. I found all the exhaust valve were really loose, and the intake valves, 3 out of 4 needed to be tight back to spec as well, but not as bad.

Last time the Guzzi dealer *supposedly* did them at 5K, but now I have my doubts..( same dealer that missed 1 KG of engine oil after service, which I checked after reading some horror story GRiSO without enough oil engine failure!!)

After valve back to spec engine performance has improved a lot ( already Bettle mapped with Agostini HF) ...

- No more extra pops when letting go of the throttle at high RPM
- Very noticeable better RPM pick up and overall throttle response

I was surprised how a simple valve adjustment made such a huge difference.

I have a throttle body clean up and balancing in my next to do list ( per 12K service manual)... even if now I am really quite pleased by the beast

Cheers,
Giuseppe

Oz1200Guzzi and Erivera like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:10 am

I had the same result when I adjusted the valves on mine.
valve clearances were way off - engine response changed completely after the adjustments
Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:36 am

Chris W wrote:
I had the same result when I adjusted the valves on mine.
valve clearances were way off - engine response changed completely after the adjustments

So I will ask to be sure, despite the fact that it was probably translated more than once, in the case of the beetle map we set the valves to a greater clearance . So 0.15 - 0.20? Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:49 am

Yahu,
the valve clearance should be set to factory spec regardless of the mapping
.10 & .15

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:30 am

Chris W wrote:
Yahu,
the valve clearance should be set to factory spec regardless of the mapping
.10 & .15

Ok. Thank you Chris 😁
Back to top Go down
kindoy2
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kindoy2

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:43 am

Be careful with adding oil..make. sure the motor is hot and the motorcycle is level and dont fill it right up to the top fill line.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:29 pm

Always put in only 3.2 litres of oil, no more. Top up if below the half way mark on the dipstick after running for a bit. Any more and it will collect in the airbox and get into your throttle bodies.

My manual says 3.6 litres - don't, just don't!
Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:51 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Always put in only 3.2 litres of oil, no more. Top up if below the half way mark on the dipstick after running for a bit. Any more and it will collect in the airbox and get into your throttle bodies.

My manual says 3.6 litres - don't, just don't!
I bought 4 liters of Agip, but unnecessarily because after pouring liters of pouring the 3l. oil filter and starting the engine I have a state in the middle of the scoop. Last time, when I poured 3.5l, the condition was much above the norm and the oil appeared in the air filter chamber. I think that 3l.na start is enough. Yours sincerely.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:57 pm

When changing the oil, fill the new filter up before screwing it on, then add no more than 2.8 litres.

I used to say 3 litres, but it's too much.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

JohnA and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
motoguzznix
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
motoguzznix

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:38 am

Giuseppe

Is your engine already rollerised?
If not, keep valve clearence under observation. This could be a early sign of valve train failure.

Edit says sorry - a 2017 SE should be a roller engine.
At first sight it looked like an older white one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: valve adjustment -- what a difference!   valve adjustment -- what a difference! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

valve adjustment -- what a difference!
Page 1 of 1