GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

puke tank location and servicing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GHIGGS
Carlotto
Carlotto
GHIGGS

puke tank location and servicing Empty
PostSubject: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi Gang, sorry for this very basic servicing question, I just want to confirm how to handle puke tank
Are there are two?
First one aft with the beige hose located right beside clutch bleeding hose? Do I just pull it out to drain?
Second one is a black breather hose running between tank and frame right side heading to front of bike? When I trace it to the I am unable to locate any bolt that can be unplugged to drain it. Is located located behind a forward panel that needs removing above the generator belt?

thanks very much!!!
Gord
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:02 pm

The breather system is pretty straightforward. The big hose off the timing chest cover goes to the condensor tank, there are two other hoses I believe are secondary breathers that go to the heads but I'm not certain of that as I don't have an 1100 nearby. From the condensor box there is a hose that delivers the condensate back to the sump and another one that sends the separated gas and any residual oil droplets to the air box for rebreathing through the motor.

If the sump is over filled, ie filled more than about half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks on the stick excess oil will overwhelm the condensor system and end up pooling in the airbox. This is drained by unplugging the clear plastic drain goes that hangs out under the bike close to the RH footpeg. Nothing else needs draining or removing in normal service.

The 8V system is similar but different in that the breathers come off the back of the heads from the cam plate

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
GHIGGS
Carlotto
Carlotto
GHIGGS

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for this information!
I located clear drain hose which starts on the left side of air filter box beside clutch bleeder nipple, then it traverses to the lower right under foot peg, the only clear hose on bike.
There are no plugs at the end of the hose to open to drain fluid from, I can stick a wire up the hose and make it half way into hose, is there a in line valve that I need to access to drain fluid?
Only my first oil change I used 3.6l and the bike stalled, the hose is still clear so I don't think there is any overfilled oil what do you think?
thanks agian
gordon
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 pm

Nah, that will be the drain tube and it should be plugged not only to prevent condensate dripping out and possibly fouling the rear tyre, (As well as making things messy) but also to prevent the ingress of dirt into the 'Clean' side of the airbox.

There should be two other tubes. The first is the drain from the battery tray, the other is the overflow pipe from the petrol tank and the filler drain for water around the cap.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:32 am

Gord,
It feels to me you might have put a little too much oil in. 3.6L?
Check your dipstick closely. I think Beetle put it best when he said he puts oil in the new filter before installation and then 3L -no more. It’s bad to overfill on this bike. It will make its way to the air box and throttle bodies.
Back to top Go down
GHIGGS
Carlotto
Carlotto
GHIGGS

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi John A, thanks for reminder about 3 litres this is the amount I am using, when it had 3.6 it stalled while idling in my workshop, I wasn't on a long ride so no sure how bad oil egress is. The bike runs great just has high idle when warm which I am working on by closing off stepper valve
I know after emptying puke tank I will need to clean butterfly valves.
The part I am struggling with is location of drain hose, I just noticed a second clear hose beside each other, I see the battery drain hose, clutch drain hose.
How is the puke tank drained? am I looking for a plastic plug in the end of the drain hose? If yes, both clear hose don't have one. Is there an inline valve half way along? or is there an on/off valve at puke tank, which I have no visual access to yet. Should I remove cover above rear wheel and all will be revealed?

sorry for all these questions but I just don't want to break anything
Thanks for your help!!
Gord
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 pm

If by 'Puke Tank' you mean the condensor box it is located just behind the steering head. As for draining? It drains the condensate back to the sump. If there is excessive oil expulsion due to over-filling it ends up in the airbox and then drains down into the clear tube which should be plugged. There is no valve in the system. The amount expelled into the airbox should be negligible and any that does get into the airbox and settles in the hose can be visually checked and drained as required.
Back to top Go down
GHIGGS
Carlotto
Carlotto
GHIGGS

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for this clear explanation much appreciated!!
My plug is missing on the end of the clear hose and has no oil build up, I will add a small bolt for future services.
I understand that the clear hose holds the oil and to remove plug at the end to drain oil when needed
Gordon!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: puke tank location and servicing   puke tank location and servicing Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

puke tank location and servicing
Page 1 of 1