GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

BACK ON THE ROAD

Go down 
+4
kiwi dave
JohnA
Clancy
Chris W
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:58 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

just serviced the rear end  - swing arm & shock linkage grease; new Zard silencer and a map from Mark.
runs like a different machine.
will be getting new tires and seeing the latest thread about leaking spokes makes me want to seal them up before the new tires go on.

Thanks to the information on the site and everyone's posts, i was able to perform this service with no real issues to speak of. And a shout out to Mark for the map, it was quite chilly yesterday (low 40's F) and it ran so good I stayed out for over 2 hours.

beetle, Bill Hagan and PJPR01 like this post

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Lookin good Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:28 am

Chris

A fellow GRiSO owner I know pit silicone on the inside of the rim when he changed his tires. I’ll probably do the same next time but to make you feel better, my 2014 has never had an issue. If your on the original metzelers, you won’t believe the difference a better tire will make. There are plenty of threads of what tires the gang likes. I’ve had pirelli angle GT’s and they’re great but there are many other good choices too. Your bike looks awesome.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks John,
I'm having a hard time finding tires that last. just hit 12000 miles and am on my 2nd front tire and third rear tire - both are now due to be replaced. You're in the flatlands too, what kind of mileage are you getting from yours?
The factory Metzler vaporized in about 3,400 miles. the front seams to do well, but the GRiSO eats rear tires like they're candy!

Have an angel GTII on rear right now and it looks like I'll get about 5k out of it.
after reading stories on longevity of the michelins, I broke the bank and ordered Michelin road 5's in an effort to get 1 season out of a set. fingers are crossed on that one!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Chris, if you find something that works for you go with it. I got 9K miles out of the original Metezlers and changed them because they were 4 years old and seemed very hard with inadequate grip. They looked like they would go another 5K at least. The Pirelli's I have on now have gone almost 9K and look to have at least 3K more -front and back. A buddy that rides a Kawi Concourse and is a very spirited rider also has about 9K and has more miles to go before a change.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm

I replaced both my tyres with Michelin PR4 GTs and now have done over 8,000 kM on them. So much better than the original Metzeler Sportec M3s IMHO. Those tyres seemed to fight the bike from leaning into a corner; it might be my riding style but I've never experienced this on any other bike.

So I expect to change the tyres again soon. It might PR5s, or I've heard good results with Angel GT heavy duty, or Scorpion Trail IIs. I realize this is turning into another dreaded tyre thread, but I would really appreciate some good advice.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:08 pm

The Michelin R5's seem to have a different profile to the PR4's. My GRiSO's steering noticeably improved after got the R5's.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:56 pm

it seems that all the tire threads are asking the same questions, so I am thinking:
Is it possible to put together some sort of group inputted spreadsheet or ratings chart that details tire type, mileage, handling, fitment notes etc? and if so, does anyone know how to do such a thing?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:14 pm

Chris easy enough to do, but do we really want to publicly air our differences? Probably not.

Like a lot of things tyres (tires for 'mericans) are extremely subjective (as is oil, handlebars, footpegs, luggage, suspension - you get the drift). It may even incite an argument, or two.

For sure do your own spreadsheet - after all it's for your benefit.

Personally I aim to get 18 months out of a set of tyres, more and it's a bonus. However that's me and my way of measuring longevity - it's not about distance, it's about fun, performance and safety in the journey.

FWIW, Michelin Road 5 GT would be my pick - but then that's MY opinion, sometimes shared, often counter-opinioned.

Or just start "another" tyre thread...
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:16 pm

beetle wrote:

The Michelin R5's seem to have a different profile to the PR4's. My GRiSO's steering noticeably improved after got the R5's.

So you went for the Michelin Road 5, rather than the Power 5?  Was this a financial decision, or are you looking for a better tyre life?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:17 pm

Power 5? Didn’t know they existed. I went to the tyre shop and asked for some PR4 GT’s. “Can’t get ’em anymore. Been replaced by the Road 5”.

So I got R5’s. Not sorry.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 pm

JohnA wrote:
Chris

A fellow GRiSO owner I know pit silicone on the inside of the rim when he changed his tires. I’ll probably do the same next time but to make you feel better, my 2014 has never had an issue. If your on the original metzelers, you won’t believe the difference a better tire will make. There are plenty of threads of what tires the gang likes. I’ve had pirelli angle GT’s and they’re great but there are many other good choices too. Your bike looks awesome.

In my opinion slathering silicone inside the rim is unnecessary and inelegant. Philistines.

between my 2012 GRiSO and 2013 Stelvio NTX I have had one problematic spoke nipple. Replaced and fixed. Simply check tire pressure before every ride, if you can remember, and top off as needed. I few pounds here and there on occasion is hardly any call for throwing on the goop in the hopes of achieving an air tight seal.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:24 pm

I'm on my second set of Road5's. I got about 4,700 miles out othe first set, and they would have done perhaps another 1,000 on straight roads. The sides were shot, about 1/2 way out to the edges, and the front was worse than the rear. But, as mentioned earlier, we all ride differently and push to different degrees. I'm not a "small unit", and I tend to enter corners a bit hard and push the front end.
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:31 pm

beetle wrote:

I went to the tyre shop and asked for some PR4 GT’s. “Can’t get ’em anymore. Been replaced by the Road 5”.

Exactly the same story for me.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:28 pm

Clancy wrote:
beetle wrote:

I went to the tyre shop and asked for some PR4 GT’s. “Can’t get ’em anymore. Been replaced by the Road 5”.

Exactly the same story for me.

Ditto - though R5 GTs are now available. Next time...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

Ditto - though R5 GTs are now available. Next time...

Excellent! cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BACK ON THE ROAD Empty
PostSubject: Re: BACK ON THE ROAD   BACK ON THE ROAD Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

BACK ON THE ROAD
Page 1 of 1