GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dropped GRiSO

Go down 
+8
SMTCapeCod
paulbrice
motor-timothy
pjm
beetle
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
GRD
12 posters
AuthorMessage
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:27 pm

A week ago I dropped the GRiSO
Damage, broken collar bone, hole in rocker cover, L.H. muffle dented/scratched.
Not too bad I thought at the time. Four weeks for the collar bone, $200+? rocker cover, $250 Danmoto slip on.

The assessor has written the bike off.
I'm in two minds over this. I really like the GRiSO but on the other hand it's solved the problem of where to put the third bike arriving in a couple of days time.

The reason given for writing the bike off was the unknown of any metal fragments from the rocker cover entering the motor.
I was more concerned by the fact the bike kept running for 3 to 5 minutes while on its side. I'm a bit hazy on the time, I was having what I imagined a LSD experience would be like, sitting on the side of the road.

Thoughts on damage from oil starvation for that length of time?

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:32 pm

Bummer, GRD!

Unless there is damage to the frame, I would imagine that it would be retrievable. Is it a statutory write-off, or a "couldn't be bothered" write-off?

Pete will be along shortly with an expert opinion. Probably better advice than me, anyway...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:43 pm

That amount of time on its side while running will almost certainly of resulted in bearing damage. It may not of been instantly terminal but boundary lubrication will of occurred and it'll probably only be a matter of time before a big end let's go.

If they do let you buy it back for a reasonable sum I'll buy the wreck off you. I have spare motors I can insert to get it going again.

Pete

Bill Hagan and Bill Dee like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:29 pm

Arse!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
pjm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
pjm

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:46 am

I thought they had a tip over switch,Glad your not to badly hurt apart from collar bone
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your bike Mad

pjm wrote:
I thought they had a tip over switch,Glad your not to badly hurt apart from collar bone

They do but it doesn't seem to do all that much. After my drop couple of years back the engine continued roaring happily despite the bike being firmly on its side.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Hope your injury is recovering ...Collar bone is a nightmare for not sleeping, especially if it stayed aligned & you just have to hold it in place for a month; pins & plate for complete break & mis-alignment is easier but lulls you into early loading.... I know all this cos I broke mine 5 weeks ago falling (& getting hit by cyclist behind me) off a bicycle at speed & had pins/plate - now just a fecked up wrist & a lump size of a melon on my hip....I'm riding GRiSO most days though !
Back to top Go down
GRD
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GRD

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Thanks for the responses, particularly the one from Pete on engine damage. Buying back the bike was not discussed with the Assessor, he indicated the bike would go to auction, country wide , on line I assume.
I don't think it was a statutory write off but more of a too much hassle with parts availability and internal damage uncertainty.

Hey Paul, how long after your collar break before you got back on the GRiSO?
My break stayed aligned, no pins, and I'm feeling better each day with noticeably better movement each day.
Only needed some help from tablets for sleeping for the first two nights.
I'm hoping to be able to get back on a bike within the next three weeks (4 weeks after break).
Is this too optimistic?
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:37 pm

Jeez, is this indicative of why adding GRiSO doubled my motorcycle policy that already had two bikes?

Best wishes to all who are recovering!!

I thought there might be tipover provisions to limit fuel spillage..hadn't heard of an ignition kill. Interested to learn whether either is the case.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:47 pm

The multiple times I've crashed, the tip-over switch has killed the engine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Mine too, and there has been a few over the years.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:42 pm

Mine never does! It's a shitty switch, seems some work, some don't. It will probably help if you take it out and shake it regularly
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:27 am

I crash enough to keep it functional. Laughing

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:36 am

Three weeks minimum & defo OK to ride after 4 weeks...my 'test' was pumping up bicycle tyres with a track pump up to 100 psi using both arms - somehow your body tells you when to stop/go
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:41 am

GRD wrote:

Hey Paul, how long after your collar break before you got back on the GRiSO?
My break stayed aligned, no pins, and I'm feeling better each day with noticeably better movement each day.
Only needed some help from tablets for sleeping for the first two nights.
I'm hoping to be able to get back on a bike within the next three weeks (4 weeks after break).
Is this too optimistic?

Broke my collarbone. It was still perfectly inline. X-ray showed broken clean in half with a small triangle in the middle, so no surgery. I had just started working at a car dealership 3 days before the wreck. Boss wouldn't let me work for 6 weeks and then I needed a doctors note. So to make ends meet I went back into construction work at week 4. When I went for the follow up x-ray at 6 weeks it showed the 2 ends crossed by about an inch. Never even tried to mesh back together.Still not "healed". This happened on Valentines Day 2011!!!!!!

STAY OFF THE BIKE TIL ITS HEALED!!!!
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:50 pm

I've only ever had very slow speed drops in gravel (courtesy of short legs) but the auto shutoff switch has worked every time.
Back to top Go down
skoda55
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
skoda55

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:17 pm

Hey Pete, Can you briefly describe where the shutoff switch is so I can test the bastard ?  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:57 pm

Cant remember offhand. Up in the tail I think. On Sports, Norges and Brevas it's by the battery, on Stelvios it's on the right under the triangular trim beneath the seat. Why I can't pinpoint it on the GRiSO I can't imagine. 'Cos I'm going senile probably.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Isn’t it up near the ECU on the GRiSO?

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Lobo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Lobo

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 am

The diag suggests Beetle’s got it; it certainly appears forward frame area. (see “Fall Sensor, #18)

Wires will be Blue/Green (Earth) and Pink/Yellow.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

odder likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:10 am

I honestly can't remember! I rarely give them any thought! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dropped GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped GRiSO   Dropped GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dropped GRiSO
Page 1 of 1