GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ruptured Zard

Go down 
+5
Street
SMTCapeCod
eeyore
svru
LBC Tenni
9 posters
AuthorMessage
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 pm

GRiSO started popping on decel. I feared a cracked pretzel. But no, Zard has sprung a leak near this ugly weld. Checked pricing on a new one. Still $700! Someone needs to tell them GRiSO has been discontinued. Luckily I have a friend who’s an excellent welder. I’ll bring it by with a case of good beer this weekend. I have wondered why it lacks the usual tension springs. I’m thinking just weld that joint all the way round. But what do I know? I find molten steel unsettling.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
svru
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
svru

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:02 am

Had the same issue. My answer was brazing. And a touch up. Ugly, but no more problems for a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 am

Same fault with my Zard.
On investigation found that it was originally assembled with two tiny tack welds on the inside of the connection.
Contacted Zard - zero help, never seen it before and didn’t want to assist.
Managed to used a small mig torch a weld all the way round the joint from the inside.
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:01 am

Wow. That's nowhere near the level of workmanship on the Zard cans I got last year for my V7. That adapter is...well, I wonder whether there weren't slots to stress relieve for the pipe expansion, then resealed with the spot weld. Anyway, no points docked in my book for hardware that's seen some use and required a love tap with a torch.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:30 am

SMTCapeCod wrote:
Wow.  That's nowhere near the level of workmanship on the Zard cans I got last year for my V7.  That adapter is...well, I wonder whether there weren't slots to stress relieve for the pipe expansion, then resealed with the spot weld.  Anyway, no points docked in my book for hardware that's seen some use and required a love tap with a torch.

My bike gets little or no use. The silencer had been fitted for under 6 months (under 1000 miles) when I noticed the failure.
The Zard for the GRiSO has a design/ manufacturing defect. The 2 tiny welds were never going to work.
The company also failed to acknowledge a problem with their product during the warranty period.
I like the exhaust, it suits the GRiSO but I doubt I would buy or recommend another Zard product.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 pm

Fixed:

That weld should hold up. But now I’m wondering if the newfound strength will cause the pretzel to crack.

I can’t complain much. I’m the second owner of this Zard. I got it cheap and put several thousand miles on it before it broke. And it certainly does look and sound great.

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:39 pm

Nice!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:32 pm

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

LBC Tenni likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:45 pm

Two others on Page 14 of the master exhaust thread.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:29 am

linky to the "master exhaust thread" plz
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Oops, "Comprehensive" exhaust thread, as it turns out:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:59 am

got caught in a downpour yesterday and while cleaning up the GRiSO, I too noticed the joint in my 3 month old Zard has started to separate. looks like I'll be welding it up and trying to blend the paint when done - dammit Mad
Back to top Go down
groundhog105
Carlotto
Carlotto
groundhog105

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm

I have a mistrial conical polished with db insert I’m not using. It looks great except for a tiny little ding. $100 plus shipping.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:49 pm

Hi groundhog. I’d like to try that Mistral. Please consider it sold. Private message sent.
Don
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ruptured Zard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruptured Zard   Ruptured Zard Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ruptured Zard
Page 1 of 1