GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clutch Fluid Change

Go down 
+6
beetle
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
Odessa
eeyore
Bulldog9
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Clutch Fluid Change Empty
PostSubject: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:54 am

I want to change the clutch fluid in my 07 GRiSO and 08 1200 Sport.

I havent done it in 3 years, and want to make sure my ducks are in a row. Last time I removed the reservoir cap, connected my vacuum bleeder to the bleeder dongle thing under the seat, attached the hose and opened the bleeder to draw fluid (dot 4) through the system, and fed clean fluid into the reservoir until clean fluid came out the bleeder and into the bottle. Then tightened bleeder, pumped the clutch lever a few times and repeated until clean fluid drained. Then I topped off reservoir and buttoned everything up.

What I cant remember was if I kept the bleeder up above the frame or hung below?

Appreciate confirmation or smack in the head.....
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:54 am

Bulldog9 wrote:
I want to change the clutch fluid in my 07 GRiSO and 08 1200 Sport.

I havent done it in 3 years, but don't have a solid memory of the event and want to make sure my ducks are in a row. Last time I removed the reservoir cap, connected my vacuum bleeder to the bleeder dongle thing under the seat, attached the hose and opened the bleeder to draw fluid (dot 4) through the system, and fed clean fluid into the reservoir until clean fluid came out the bleeder and into the bottle. Then tightened bleeder, pumped the clutch lever a few times and repeated until clean fluid drained. Then I topped off reservoir and buttoned everything up.

What I cant remember was if I kept the bleeder up above the frame or hung below?

Appreciate confirmation or smack in the head.....
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:12 am

Keep the bleeder valve as low as possible.
Back to top Go down
Odessa
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Odessa

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 pm

hello there,
i am needing a bit of guidance / help..
i am new to group and new to the MG GRiSO, i have recently acquired a 2013 1200SE, i want to bleed off the old clutch fluid and replace with new stuff.

is it a matter of gravity flow - by that i mean do i just locate bleeder line under seat and position it to it's lowest point - take cover off reservoir - open up bleeder valve - pore in new fluid and let gravity take over and one replaces the other?

if it is other can you please advise a detailed procedure?

thanks, Odessa
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 pm

Lowest point is the go.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Same as brakes. Open nipple, pull lever, close nipple, release lever, repeat while topping up reservoir until clear fluid emerges out of hose. Getting an in line ball valve for the purge tube makes everything very easy.

lcjohnny and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 pm

I like to use a cable tie to hold the clutch lever closed while I open the bleeder. Leave the tie loose enough to slip over the lever after you've pumped it up a bit. Bleed. Repeat.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 am

Would it be silly to suck the reservoir low with a syringe or eye dropper and fill with new to save some effort if your doing it manually? Would be less bad stuff to have to run all the way to the extraction point.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm

That's exactly how to do it.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:20 am

eeyore wrote:

Logic when it comes to changing the fluid, but also when you bleed out the air?
Air bubbles go up, so I've always lifted calipers and would do the same with the clutch hose.
What is it I do not understand here...?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:32 am

bjor wrote:
eeyore wrote:

Logic when it comes to changing the fluid, but also when you bleed out the air?
Air bubbles go up, so I've always lifted calipers and would do the same with the clutch hose.
What is it I do not understand here...?

I always bleed upwards over a high point and then down to the bleed bottle(in a transparent tube)
This means i can see when the bubbles stop as well as when the clean fluid comes through.

I tried a suction bleeder but it drew so much air around the bleed nipple that i could not see when i was drawing fluid without bubbles.
Not a lot of fluid to put through so it is not very long.
As you need one spanner to hold the pipe and one to loosen the nipple Beetle's method of catching the lever back between pump strokes can be less sweary Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:24 pm

Yes that's how I have done it too.

Here's my set up:
The yellow "hand brake" normally used on my side car, to hold the lever in, and a bottle with a one way valve to collect the used fluid, - hung high.
This works for me.

And the old clutch fluid...

DC950 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Fluid Change   Clutch Fluid Change Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clutch Fluid Change
Page 1 of 1