GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gearbox or final drive whine

Go down 
+3
Steak
paulbrice
motor-timothy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Gearbox or final drive whine Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:12 am

It's been doing this for years but suddenly I have the need to be reassured that this is normal Wink  When I start my GRiSO everything is normal. However under load there is a monotone whining sound from the right bottom side of the bike (I assume gearbox but could also be final drive) which sounds a bit like the whine a car makes when its reversing. It's not a wheel bearing as the sound is there even when barely moving. At low speed (1st and 2nd gear <30km/h) the sound is really noticeable above the sound of the engine, with the volume increasing the more load is placed on the engine. At higher gear it's still present but you can't really hear it over the engine and wind noise.

The bike shifts just fine and rides more or less perfect. Any indication of a serious underlying issue or just a moto guzzi GRiSO noise?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:14 pm

No idea but mine also whines at similar speeds/conditions....enjoy
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:01 pm

Just to clarify, when I think whine, I think of a high pitched wail. I've never heard anything like that from a CARC unit.

What I have heard on many occasions is more of a groan when disengaging the clutch to initiate forward movement, usually from a cold start. It sounds disheartening, but I don't think it indicates any underlying problem.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Steak wrote:
Just to clarify, when I think whine, I think of a high pitched wail.  I've never heard anything like that from a CARC unit.

What I have heard on many occasions is more of a groan when disengaging the clutch to initiate forward movement, usually from a cold start.  It sounds disheartening, but I don't think it indicates any underlying problem.

I'll see if I can record it in the next couple of days. One man's whine is another man's scream and yet another man's groan ^^
It's not related to clutch control I think. The whine is there while riding with the clutch completely disengaged.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:48 am

Mine occasionally makes the separate & different clutch noise when cold. The whine isn't a scream, just sounds like gearbox bearings going about their business but not completely silently....I like the sound !
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:12 am

Mine makes the same whine -like an old car in reverse gear. I think it is always there but idon't always hear it.

Not as loud as the whine that early Triumph 885s made!
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:23 am

So I made a short video. I noticed I made a few mistakes in my OP:

- The whine is audible right after starting. Even in neutral with no load on the engine.
- Whine increases in volume based on RPM

You can hear the whine right after starting until the end of the video, it's the sound that I think is a bit like a reversing car or maybe an electric vehicle. I did a few tests like revving little with the clutch pulled, I don't normally ride like that Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If streamable fails, you can also download the video here (about 120MB)

Edit: oeh I just found this youtube video about a GRiSO SE Tenni and it makes exactly the same 'whine' at 1:21 to 1:40:cheers: :

But I'm still curious what causes it, as it wasn't part of the bike's sounds when I just bought it What a Face
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:15 pm

I get what I would call drivetrain "whine" on my GRiSO (2014 model), but it's only noticeable in 1st gear when ambling along at low speeds on the overrun. No noise at all when under acceleration load.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:02 pm

Hmmm, I can't recall hearing that on my GRiSO nor the Stelvio. Curiously watching.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 am

Mine doesn't whine unless gearbox is engaged and moving & I think yours sounds higher frequency ......I've had a few cars with alternator whine like that (doesn't depend on gearbox/drive)
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:35 am

Cna confirm my 1200 whines from the engine - not transmission related (but more audible on the overrun) it may be belt noise but it is the same now with a new belt as it was with the last belt.

It is not getting worse so i will stick with it
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:46 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
Cna confirm my 1200 whines from the engine - not transmission related (but more audible on the overrun) it may be belt noise but it is the same now with a new belt as it was with the last belt.

Is that the same whine mine makes?
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 am

motor-timothy wrote:

Edit: oeh I just found this youtube video about a GRiSO SE Tenni and it makes exactly the same 'whine' at 1:21 to 1:40:cheers: :

But I'm still curious what causes it, as it wasn't part of the bike's sounds when I just bought it What a Face

My 1100 does the same sound, although less pronounced. I attributed that to the alternator, but since it is working as expected (14.1V when motor on), I'm not too worried.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:42 am

motor-timothy wrote:
lcjohnny wrote:
Can confirm my 1200 whines from the engine - not transmission related (but more audible on the overrun) it may be belt noise but it is the same now with a new belt as it was with the last belt.

Pretty certain it is it is there every time i listen -

possibly the hy-vo chains that drive the cams?
Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 am

lcjohnny wrote:
motor-timothy wrote:
lcjohnny wrote:
Can confirm my 1200 whines from the engine - not transmission related (but more audible on the overrun) it may be belt noise but it is the same now with a new belt as it was with the last belt.

Pretty certain it is it is there every time i listen -

possibly the hy-vo chains that drive the cams?

This would make a more rattling/metallic sound no? Like the alternator whine, it would also be RPM dependent.
Back to top Go down
Lobo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Lobo

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:39 pm

I’ve been having non-alarming muted roar noises from my GRiSO, and wrote about it in ‘1200 SE Noise - what is it!’ Oddly enough it was all exacerbated when wearing my new Schuberth helmet... which I now figure is my particular answer.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Ok my GRiSO whine sounds like timothy's
It is rev-dependant not speed or gear dependant so engine, not wheels or back half of transmission.
It did not change when i changed the alternator belt
It is hard to hear when moving and gone or almost gone when the engine is hot.

I am torn between not worrying and not worrying
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gearbox or final drive whine   Gearbox or final drive whine Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gearbox or final drive whine
Page 1 of 1