GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dash fogging up

Go down 
+4
Robinson_Spike
paulbrice
LBC Tenni
motor-timothy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 am

So I noticed today my 2 months old new dash is already fogging up, and as I don't want it going the way of my old dash, I'm now looking into solutions. I read a topic on wildguzzi where the issue of moisture in the dash is discussed at length, and one of the members there put forth the solution of drilling a small hole in the lower right corner of the display part of the dash.
Does anyone here have any experience with this 'fix' and whether this works? See picture from wildguzzi with the drill location (I think just drilling through the clear lens is sufficient, probably don't need to drill through the silver coloured cover):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am

If you’re going to drill it, I would drill the silver part as in the picture. I think the clear plastic is likely to crack if you drill it. Also water will be more likely to get in if there is a hole in the clear face. A hole on the underside will work with gravity to keep water out.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 pm

I still use the car dehumidifier solution (no way I'm drilling holes etc ).....just keep it on top of the dash with bag over the lot. My dash still sometimes fogs when it's cold and wet but never had failure & soon clears with dehumidifier.

car dehumidifier
Back to top Go down
Robinson_Spike
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Robinson_Spike

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:11 pm

I’m with Bricey, I wouldn’t be drilling holes. The amount of moisture to create the misting is so little that a hole in the wrong place could be detrimental. Over the years I have seen electrical components fail from the ingress of water purely from the vacuum created when a warm device cools and draws in the moist air around it which then condenses and repeat until there’s a puddle. On the GRiSO dash there’s only a tiny amount that waits until there’s a sufficient temperature difference for it to vaporise and take to the screen. My GRiSO actually healed itself of this issue but I had a packet of ‘do not eat’ desiccant ready to slip inside the dash if necessary.

Last edited by Robinson_Spike on Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:29 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
If you’re going to drill it, I would drill the silver part as in the picture. I think the clear plastic is likely to crack if you drill it. Also water will be more likely to get in if there is a hole in the clear face. A hole on the underside will work with gravity to keep water out.

The dash is fogging up inside the clear plastic. Only drilling the silver plastic cover wouldn't allow the moisture to come out.

I'll give Paul's dehumidifier idea a try. I'm not a huge fan of drilling holes in the dash myself, but I figured maybe everyone but me has a hole drilled in their dash by now. Apparently not Laughing
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:18 pm

I live in a dry climate, so I’ve never had the problem. But I like the idea of putting in a desiccant packet or two.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:30 pm

Wet air is lighter than dry air and so rises. So when the clear lens is cooler than the rest of the dashboard the air rising inside the binacle will lose H20 in condensation on the screen and then (cooler and drier so heavier) will drop away.

It might help to keep a wad of cloth in the garage and put it over the screen when you get back to stop it losing heat?
Dessicant pouches inside the instruments might keep that pocket of air a bit drier.
I have a flyscreen to keep splash off the back of the dash and the wires below it so there is no source of extra H2O.

I have had this problem twice when the bike has been out overnight in heavy rain - both times it cleared in 50- 80 miles

Last edited by lcjohnny on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : written before i had the problem and took the dashboard appart)
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:13 am

I’ve had this problem happen once. It was after some wet weather and then a ride on a fairly cold morning. The GRiSO is kept in a garage all times and not in a cold climate. I took Paul’s advice and bought some car desiccant. When it’s been wet and it’s going to be colder when I ride, I get the desiccant out (comes in a small bag) and sit it on top of my headlight just under the dash and put a bag over it all. It’s never happened again. I think the conditions have to be right to get the moisture to condense. Probably where you live in Amsterdam is susceptible to such condensing now and then.
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:09 am

some updates from my side:
i had a foggy dash, so i did drill a hole, put it on heating, no change
i used my compressor to bring in some dry air (as compressor does dry air Smile)
not much of change
thanks to compresssor i was able to separate then dash and remove the clear part
i cleaned the screen back and still 'foggy', then i took polish cream 2000.. as you would use for car or cars plastic headlights and cleaned the innerside of screen.
now that made a difference.
so in my case there is a bit of fog in the dash but also the screen itself welk or faded

so now i have a clean and dried dash and need to close and glue it again.
what do you think:
is it better to go now out into the cold (as cold air is drier then hot) or should i do it inhouse ?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:33 am

If you've got a TIG welder/fizzy drink maker, could fill a bucket with argon/CO2 and seal the dash in there Wink
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:22 am

Hi Folks,
Hope everyone's well.

I used to get drops falling from the inside of the perspex onto the dash & was worried that it'd rust the internals & connectors. The seal between perspex & speed body was rubbish so water was getting in via that hence the ocean of water in my dash.

An airing cupboard dry-out & silicon application cured that.

The dash is not airtight from beneath nor is the silver plastic cover it sits in... you'll see a big hole/ gap where it fits onto the bike underneath (that's how it is on my 1100...assume it's the same for the other models) so air is going to get in there be it wet or dry.

The silicon did the trick for me... I hardly ever get a fogged dash now & if I do it dissipates quickly as the lights warm the dash..the connectors are still good & not water damaged.

Try it if you can be bothered....it worked for me.

Cheers
R
Back to top Go down
Red Leader
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Red Leader

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 am

Re my last post...that's my 2nd dash after having the first one replaced because I stupidly thought that mine was a dud....they're all duds!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dash fogging up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash fogging up   Dash fogging up Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dash fogging up
Page 1 of 1