GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Front Disc 'judder'

Go down 
+7
Knockerjoe
motor-timothy
Steak
FlatTappeter
ratso88
lcjohnny
BBB888
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

Front Disc 'judder' Empty
PostSubject: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:56 pm

Hi All. Anyone had brake 'judder' issues? Thought I could feel a slight judder, almost like a warped disc under braking but not throughout the braking process, started after I applied brakes (not immediate) and seemed to go away again before I came to an actual stop. Bike went to MoT (UK Annual roadworthy test) having only covered 49miles in the past year of on/off lockdowns. MoT tester noted an 'advisory' as 'slight inconsistency through front brake'. Not quite sure what this is. Don't think its warped discs, 2014 bike has done 8000 miles and thinking its maybe the 'buttons' between disc and disc carrier that are stiff/seizing and after being static for so long need cleaning up with brake cleaner and generally twiddling to free them (if any are suck). Then thought maybe new pads - still running original pads which have plenty of life in them but maybe after being parked for 12m they need replacing. Maybe pads just need removing cleaning and refitting. Maybe all of the above! Had a quick search under brake pads, brake discs, and 'judder' but cant see this mentioned, although i am sure it has been raised in previous topics/posts. Any suggestions welcome!
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:59 pm

i haven't had any judder - good luck
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:56 pm

There's a few threads that mention this problem. Read Tony's (Oz1200Guzzi) comments. You need to clean the bobbins, most likely.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:29 pm

Yep clean your bobbins well. Go for a ride and carry out a few hard front brake applications, to clean the remainder of the pad build-up on the disk itself. It was a known problem with the Braking disks especially.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:03 pm

I've been living with this same brake issue for a while now. I've cleaned the bobbins a few times now and done the hard stop/scrub exercise up to having the front tire chirping. The juddering issue has always returned. I'm to the point no that I want to bin the front rotors but being a cheap bastard I seem unable to open my wallet. This will obviously have to change.

I've been half ass looking at replacement rotors. I don't want wave rotors and do want black center.
With the new rotors will be a new set of pads. I just don't want to spend $400-500 to get this done.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
FlatTappeter
Carlotto
Carlotto
FlatTappeter

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:49 pm

ratso88 wrote:
I've been living with this same brake issue for a while now. I've cleaned the bobbins a few times now and done the hard stop/scrub exercise up to having the front tire chirping. The juddering issue has always returned.

Been through the same "process" with my 1200 Sport.  At 10 years and 31K miles on original (non-wavy) rotors and pads it acquired an Advisory on the UK MOT certificate.  A couple of times before then I had the wheel off and laid flat on an old tyre while I went round the bobbins with a makeshift tool and brake cleaner.  Also gave the rotor surfaces an all-round scrub with emery paper and brake cleaner, paying special attention to where I could see any hint of where the pads had been resting.  Also cleaned the pads of debris.  Sadly all to no great benefit in my case.  Eventually resigned myself to replacing with a pair of EBC MD624 - non-wavy, five bobbins, gold centres. Plus new pads.  Given the age I didn't begrudge it.  Braking since then has been perfect 👍
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:32 pm

Don't rule out a worn front wheel bearing that can feel a little "juddery" as well.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:55 pm

In my case worn ball head bearings were the cause of a rather significant 'judder' when braking
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:10 pm

On reflection I think the brake performance is better described as a 'pulsing' at the lever. Ill get busy with the brake cleaner and find a tool to turn the bobbins. Will also remove pads, and clean disc faces.
As for the head bearings - is this something I am likely to feel if I get the front wheel up the air and move the bars full left to full right? Will I feel a tightening/loosening through the movement or a notchiness?
I'm pretty sure its something to do with bobbins. I've had head bearing issues in the past on a Ducati which 'clicked' under hard braking (you know down from 6th to 1st and hard into the hairpin!)and i just don't think this is the same.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:02 pm

In my case it was noticeable when braking before a traffic light, the final moments before standstill it would vibrate. It was noticeable at the brake lever too as a pulse.

You can check the ball head bearings by pulling/pushing the front wheel (off the ground). If there is any play the bearings are on their way out or too loose. Turning the handlebar left to right if you feel a notch is another indication the bearings are bad.
Back to top Go down
Knockerjoe
Carlotto
Carlotto
Knockerjoe

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:58 am

When I have experienced pulsing or shudder in the past, my first step
is to put a dial caliper on the rotors to look for runout. If you don’t own a dial caliper
look on YouTube for cheaper/alternate methods. If you find there is a runout, meaning a bend
or distortion, there are ways to bring it back straight without replacing or turning the rotors.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:21 am

Yesterday, and today, I noticed a loud clicking from the front wheel when pushing the bike around and applying the brake. Only seemed to occur in reverse. Grimeca Tuono rotors. Should I be concerned? Braking is still magnificent.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:33 pm

'I noticed a loud clicking from the front wheel'

Both of mine do the same(OEM), figured its just the natural movement(play) of the bobbins?
Clicking can be sometimes heard on initial take off.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:58 am

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

moby likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:04 am

MrBob wrote:
Both of mine do the same(OEM), figured its just the natural movement(play) of the bobbins?
Clicking can be sometimes heard on initial take off.

Lots of hits when googling, but it's all forum posts on multiple marques. Responses include "that's normal", and "you're gonna die".

I don't think Edgar Allan Poe considered brake rotors at all.

Shocked

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:22 am

Neither did his granddaughters, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 am

New Brembo rotors ordered. Job for next weekend.

bounce

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:34 am

Gees, Mark. Big $$$?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:37 am

Define "big".

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:40 am

Well I know the wavey rotors (Braking brand) are around $600 each - IF you can get them. That's my line in the sand...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 am

Well then. Big $$$ not spent.

Brembo Serie Oro Floating Front Brake Disc - 78.B408.70

In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Crap, Beetle, that's not bad at all. I may have to do the same. Thanks!

Plus is that they're non-wave. I really don't get wavy rotors on road bikes as there's no mud to fling off.

beetle likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:03 am

ratso88 wrote:
Crap, Beetle, that's not bad at all. I may have to do the same. Thanks!

Plus is that they're non-wave. I really don't get wavy rotors on road bikes as there's no mud to fling off.

Really depends where you ride!

OK I'm leaving...
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:28 am

Guys,
Let me see if I understand.....
The outer disc is supposed to have some movement at the bobbins but not too much where you can feel a pulse at your brake lever?
I have 19,000 miles and I clean the rotors regularly. I inspected the discs and they have very little wear and appear to be wearing normally. I do have movement like in Beetles video. Maybe not as much.....
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 am

Ok I just watched a video that Paul Brice posted in 2017 about bobbin cleaning from Delboy’s Garage. Worth watching.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Disc 'judder'   Front Disc 'judder' Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Front Disc 'judder'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next