12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

One for Steak.......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: One for Steak.......   Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:58 am

Taken at a fantastic restaurant in Mildura.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Why is a really, really good steak so hard to get? Its not just the meat, its finding a cook/chef who, when you ask for 'Meduim rare erring to the rare' actually does what you ask!

Knock its horns off and wipe its arse! Then show it something hot for a minute or two! Don't bloody cremate it! Jesus!

BELCH!  Thumbs Up 

Pete
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:30 am

That was a nice slab Pete, and the wine looked tasty too. The Guilty...

Pillage! 

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:36 am

Yup, a nice drop. They do a series with the theme, 'The Guilty', 'The Verdict' etc. nice and, errr? 'Robust' I think is the term! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:02 pm

This has caused me to book dinner tonight at our local Argentine steakhouse. It's the only one in town that knows what medium rare means. And some of the best wine I've had here in California is Australian Shiraz. Love the penal colony theme!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:57 pm

At risk of polarising this community...

A couple of great Shiraz' I have had the pleasure of knowing:
Two Hands, Gnarly Dudes Shiraz from McLaren Vale;
Claymore Estate, Dark Side of the Moon Shiraz.

Both of these will show the local talent well. Oh, yeah, the Dark Side of the Moon Shiraz "DEMANDS" that the Pink Floyd Album (from which the wine it gained its name) be played in the back/foreground at a suitable volume.

Accept no imitations - these are the real McCoy! Please enjoy irresponsibly...
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:17 am

Good reason it is hard to get good cow, it has to be carefully grain finished (expensive) and then to be truely wonderful, aged and careful aging of beef is a really time intensive process. all this means money...and most folks that do not know would think a really good piece of aged beef is bad the fat is dark carmel color and the meat on the best is chocolate brown to almost black before it is cooked. but what an amazing thing it is
Back to top Go down
Slo_Mo_Shun
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:08 am

Uzidzit wrote:
Good reason it is hard to get good cow, it has to be carefully grain finished (expensive) and then to be truely wonderful, aged and careful aging of beef is a really time intensive process.  all this means money...and most folks that do not know would think a really good piece of aged beef is bad the fat is dark carmel color and the meat on the best is chocolate brown to almost black before it is cooked.  but what an amazing thing it is

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Fuck grain fed moo. It's shit. Grass fed only for this bloke.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:29 pm

I agree, grain fed and/finished is an aberration and a con that has been foisted on us by agribusiness. I would suggest that anyone who thinks that grain fed is better go to Dodge City in Kansas and take a deep breath! That'll tell you everything you need to know about the suitability of grain as food for a ruminant. Australian feedlots aren't as bad as US ones but the meat produced has the same bland taste and lack of texture as American meat. When in the US Jude and I try and seek out places that sell buffalo. Buffalo is beautiful!

Ageing is often overlooked though. This is something that is mainly the result of ignorance and the idea of 'Freshness' with foodstuffs which is so eagerly lapped up by people with no understanding. Advertising campaigns for major supermarket chains always bang on about how 'Fresh' their produce is which is hilarious as a lot of it is imported. I mean? How can our major food chains claim that asparagus is 'Fresh' when its grown in Peru and bought to Australia by ship!? But perversely meat, which should be hung is often butchered and sold having had little done to it beyond bleeding! People think this is good though because its 'Fresh'! Perverse!

Pete
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Funny you should say that Pete, just saw a doco the other day by Heston (chef).
Apparently the real trick for flavoursome meat is to wait until it has nearly gone off, there are some Euro blokes growing mould on meat and maturing it, like a good cheese or wine.

As for Woolworths freshness, I used to work next door to their giant freezer in Brisbane, about the size of 10 footy fields, designed to keep produce in suspended animation for 12 months plus.

Ever wonder why carrots go rubbery, cauliflower gets black spot, soggy broccoli. All because they have been held in a near frozen state for a year. Fresh, my arse.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 pm

I saw similar problems with fruit.
30 years ago at that.
Eating peaches that felt like eating a half dry sponge.
Are you f#@%ing kidding me??? In California?????
You better believe I expect some damn good fresh fruit at home.

DM
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:53 am

Lean grass-fed and range killed kangaroo for me, cooked rare on the barby. Had some for my dinner a couple of hours ago. The Ms won't touch it though, so I have to do her a well-hung free range beef porterhouse.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:08 am

I won't eat roo either. It's shit.  What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:29 am

'Roo can be good but its best to eat it in a dark room as it has to be served very rare. I'm not a fan but Jude'll chug a bit down.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:27 am

Mmmmmmmmm, porterhouse...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 am

I have actually spent a good part of my life raising beef critters, even the grass fed you have to finish a few weeks weeks (like 3-4) this is a blended diet period to generate a decent steak(this makes a good marble you have to have some) . The porterhouse being the premier cut. but then you have to be able to cook it right after the 38-45 days of DRY ageing at 50-55% humidity. The "conspiricacy of big agribuisness" I see all the time is really distortions of the truth, the reality is that there has been a decline in the quality of beef a DAMN big one, BUT it is coming from two causes the biggest is the wet ageing of beef that come in in the '60s and '70s this is a quicker aging process that vac seals and ages beef in plastic(it retains its moisture) and the EXCESSIVE grain feeding on lots (like 6-8 months). This generates over fat marbled beef and the wet aging keeps the weight which makes the profit higher(less loss). Dry aged beef loses about 1/2 its weight during the ageing process so if you start out with 10 lbs you yield 5-6lbs. so you have to double the price and nobody wants to pay for quality much any more. (all beef was dry aged before 1960)

For cooking the trick is you need about 600 degrees f, to start and then drop the temp after the 2 sides are seared, then drop the temp and the best in an (dry heat) to finish at about 400 to an internal temp at the bone of about 125-130f (this is med rare-med)then let it rest for a few min. BEFORE it is cut use coarse salt so it stays in crystalline form while it is being consumed so you get pops of salt with the beef flavor, and the crunch. (wet aged beef is most tender at med). is

personally My favorite deep red meats are Bison, or buffalo, lamb, in the US if buffalo respected fences there would have never been cows brought here. Wapiti is wonderful but since moving back east I have to settle for venison.

Back to top Go down
Slo_Mo_Shun
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:00 am

Uzidzit wrote:

For cooking the trick is you need about 600 degrees f, to start and then drop the temp after the 2 sides are seared, then drop the temp and  the best in an  (dry heat) to finish at about 400 to an internal temp at the bone of about 125-130f (this is med rare-med)then let it rest for a few min. BEFORE it is cut use coarse salt so it stays in crystalline form while it is being consumed so you get pops of salt with the beef flavor, and the crunch.  (wet aged beef is most tender at med).

Just the description is enough to make my mouth water.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One for Steak.......   Today at 11:50 am

Back to top Go down

One for Steak.......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: