GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

The definitive guide to Rollerisation

Go down 
+33
Dean68uk
Onewhocansee
Grisonut
fanattic
scottmastrocinque
Doc.
Bill Hagan
BetaSteve
paulbrice
Clancy
sal
markymarq
Frederico Pessoa
kiwi dave
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
lizardking
janguzzi
Trogladyte
Lazlokovacs
silvereagleflyer
Converted Duc
salishmoto
Mi_ka
Lehctim
GuzziSteve
footgoose
BowraBoy
Camphill
OldMojo
evansnows
lcjohnny
Pete Roper
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:39 pm

That is the new style earthing tang. It goes under the two bolts that hold the rocker retainer late to the cambox. You discard the earlier tang.

Inlet valves have greater mass, hence the need for the increased seating pressure afforded by the shims.
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:22 am

Pete Roper wrote:
That is the new style earthing tang. It goes under the two bolts that hold the rocker retainer late to the cambox. You discard the earlier tang.

Inlet valves have greater mass, hence the need for the increased seating pressure afforded by the shims.

Thanks for the reply, Pete.

Or maybe you have a something manual to get to know it before work? Or some photos? Video?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:42 pm

Not really. It's pretty straightforward. I did write this years ago.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:47 am

Thank you very much. You're a genius, Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:49 am

No! I'm anything but! All I am is someone who has filtered the sugar from the shit.

None of this rocket science. All it needs is an active interest rather than just brushing shit under the carpet to make a quid.....

DC950 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:54 am

Is necessary after rollerisation change softweare ECU?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:54 pm

It'll run. Just not very well.
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 22, 2022 4:36 am

Hello. Today I started repairing my GRiSO timing gear. After dismantling the exhaust system, I saw the following view in the heads

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Does that often happen with these engines? I understand this means replacing the heads?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 22, 2022 5:05 am

That's not an actual crack, is it? It's not just a casting mark?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 22, 2022 6:47 am

beetle wrote:

That's not an actual crack, is it? It's not just a casting mark?

I think this is a real crack

EDIT: Now I remove second head and I see in inlet and outlet tubes identical damages

Is possible that in all four tubes been identical cracks??? Is strange
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 22, 2022 2:41 pm

Looks like casting marks to me, but WTF would I know?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 22, 2022 6:06 pm

I've seen it several times. On the ones I've seen they are cracks. The good news is that they don't seem to cause any further issues. The main one I would of been concerned about would be the exhaust valve seats dropping out but I haven't heard of that ever happening.

In my experience such cracks have occurred principally on engines still running a closed loop map. Is that a relevant factor? I dunno, but if the engine is ridden a lot in closed loop where the AFR is kept deliberately lean the exhaust gasses are going to be hotter and the chance of an expansion related failure is going to be more likely.

Does that theory have legs or am I just talking out of my arse? I've no idea. I'm not a metallurgist.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 22, 2022 8:29 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Does that theory have legs or am I just talking out of my arse? I've no idea. I'm not a metallurgist.

Metallurgist?  It sounds to me you're a ventriloquist!  Basketball
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun May 22, 2022 10:38 pm

I suggest using a 90⁰ engineers probe to see if they are cracks or raised casting marks.

From your photogrsphs they don't look dark enough or sharp edged enough to be cracks. So as they seem identical i would assume casting marks. But if s probe or feeler gauge goes into them that proves your point.
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2022 6:04 am

lcjohnny wrote:
I suggest using a 90⁰ engineers probe to see if they are cracks or raised casting marks.

From your photogrsphs they don't look dark enough or  sharp edged enough to be cracks. So as they seem identical i would assume casting marks. But if s probe or feeler gauge goes into them that proves your point.

What is 90⁰ engineers probe?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2022 6:14 am

Steel rod with sharp end at 90⁰
May be called a scriber or dental pick
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:36 pm

The heads were x-rayed and it turned out that they were not cracked. These are foundry marks.

I have another question: should the right timing chain tensioner insert be mounted with a small hole in the smaller part in some specific way, does it not matter?

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:26 pm

Right and left tensioner plungers are different. The valve hole goes towards the reservoir on both.
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:26 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Right and left tensioner plungers are different. The valve hole goes towards the reservoir on both.

Pete - I mean this small hole on tensioner piston

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:46 pm

Yup. It's there to allow oil from the reservoir into the chamber above the valve. If you mean does it have to be aligned in any way other than in the reservoir? No. It'll spin around in service anyway.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:20 pm

With the help of Pete Roper's instructions, I was able to replace the timing tappets on my GRiSO. However, I have another question. The bike is running perfectly just as it was before the repair. It is impossible to discern any difference in any respect. Therefore, is it necessary to change the ECU software, or can I run on the current software? Does it pose a risk of malfunctions?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:01 pm

There’s no need to update the software. There’s been no change to the GRiSO map or software since 2010.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:03 pm

If your bike is currently running the final iteration of the factory maps then you simply need to clear the trims which can be done by pulling the main 30A fuse or disconnecting the battery briefly. If you were running a non factory map or one of the earlier versions from the factory then it should be remapped.

If you want it to run better than it ever has just buy one of Mark's maps and stick it in.
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Carlotto
Carlotto
lizardking

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:48 pm

I'm sorry for the naive question, but with what software can you do it in Moto Guzzi? Could I also ask for a user Mark?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:26 pm

Read this thread: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In GRiSO we trust!

lizardking likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The definitive guide to Rollerisation   The definitive guide to Rollerisation - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The definitive guide to Rollerisation
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next