GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
Hcfarmer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hcfarmer
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Hcfarmer

Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:44 am

After 40 years, I finally was able to buy another Guzzi. The previous owner was never able to ride it much, and only put 1,972 miles on it since new. It's spent most of it's time collecting dust in the previous owners garage. The first thing I check yesterday after delivery, was the fuel. It didn't smell too bad, but definitely wasn't fresh. My concern is that there could be varnish build up in the fuel system from sitting so much over the years. I was wanting to use Sea Foam, and Chemtool in the fuel to clean it up a bit. However, I don't know if products that clean fuel systems might be incompatible with the fuel tank and fuel injection. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 am

Try to avoid ethanol fuel if possible, run a tank of injector cleaner through it. If it runs OK? Job done.

What year model?
Back to top Go down
Hcfarmer
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Hcfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:41 am

It's a 2015. I've used Sea Foam and Chemtool in every other vehicle and power equipment I own with no I'll effects. Just wasn't sure if the Fuel Injection and tank on the GRiSO would have a problem with it.

Thanks for the reply
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:08 am

I usually run a little bottle of injector cleaner through both of my Guzzis every spring. Normally I use the one from Lucas Oil, but I don't think the brand makes much of a difference.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Hcfarmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Hcfarmer
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Hcfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 am

I prefer Lucas products myself. I'll try it.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm

HCFarmer, You should hook up with Kel. He's a bit north of Kerrville.

I think we're going to spend a couple/few weeks in your neck of the woods in Jan/Feb.
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:56 pm

I would run a PEA-based additive, such as Chevron Techron or Redline SI-1. I've used it to clean up fuel tank sending units in numerous Mercedes and BMW over the years (unless mechanically broken, the gauges will go from either not working or working erratically, to fully working).

There's a family of MB engines susceptible to our varying (read: often poor) fuel quality here in the US, where the accumulated intake valve deposits will actually cause misfiring and low compression. I shit you not, I had a case where the Redline additive cleaned up the intake valves/seats enough to largely remedy the poor idle quality and subsequent check engine light. I wouldn't have believed it (told the gentleman his heads needed to come off), but measured compression myself both before and after.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hcfarmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:21 pm

I've used the Chevron Techron injector cleaner as well. Costco sometimes carries it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Hcfarmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 am

I only know about the US.
Chevron adds Techron to their fuel, meaning you get Techron at each fill from a Chevron station.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?   Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel system additives. Good or bad idea?
Page 1 of 1