GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

8v Oil Leak

Go down 
+9
janguzzi
Evilgarfield
Bulldog9
Doc.
JohnA
GuzziSteve
Pete Roper
Dilliw
Bill Hagan
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 pm

This is a Norge, not GRiSO, issue, but given the expertise here with the 8v engine, thought I’d post here.

Need some help in diagnosing the source of an oil leak on a friend’s Moto Guzzi

Some pix follow after some background.

This is a 2014 8v Norge.  He and I “assume” it has factory roller tappets.  I have, however, asked him for the VIN, engine number, etc. to confirm that.

My friend is the second owner.  Norge only has c.3500 miles and is virtually new.  My friend has been fully employed and little spare time, so he has only put 1K on in a couple of years!  

He recently noticed an oil leak while riding.

No warning lights.

Seems to be an “under-pressure-only” leak as it has now sat for a couple of weeks-plus with no drops on floor.

Engine sounds fine when running.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to causation and fix.

We have not yet lifted tank to see if possible OP sensor or similar “hidden” leak.  Appears to me that source is top of left-side valve cover, but we all know how deceiving such things can be.  Valve-cover fasteners seem snugged to bottom.  Weepage at base of LH cylinder is worrisome if unrelated to above.

Suppose I’m hoping this is a known common issue.

Here are the pix.  Will try for others if these are useless.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Many thanks.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:24 pm

The oil pressure switch.  It leaks in the front, migrates along the head gasket, then blows all around the back side.  The Norge plastic probably influences it as well.

Bill Hagan and knumbnutz like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:49 pm

Breather hose off back of cam plate. Cam plate o ring. Rocker cover gasket. If it is coming from the cooling tunnel in the head then plug tube o ring maybe. If it is that it will require removal of the cambox to fix.

Bill Hagan and JohnA like this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:49 pm

Like feeling for hair in the dark!! UNDRESS it & you'll find it. OFF with the tank & lowers then quick wash, start it & find it.

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:21 am

I like Pete’s breather hose suggestion. I have a 2014 and it leaks at the suggested spot years ago.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 am

If that’s it, you will probably see the rubber hose at the bend has hairline cracks all over it.

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Had a Stelvio in recently where the Breather Hose was split at the Canister end.
My bet would be the Oil Pressure Switch though.
If it's not the Breather Hoses at the heads (you'd see it clearly), and they're leaking at the front, Oil will be all over the front of the Engine up around the Alternator area.
Pressure Switch leaks only show up low down, and usually on the left.

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:43 pm

Another vote for the breather hose, but I would also check the grub screws that are set in the head on either side of the exhaust header outlet Mine were leaking badly on the right side and some on the left, and made similar oil mess.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:45 am

Thanks to all.

Finally got the beast to my Moto Grappa's lift where it's easier to curse ... erm ... work on pulling the tank to see what's amiss 'tween the cleavage.  The shed we were working in was hot and dirty, and, worse, the "ups & downs" required made me feel as old as I (gasp) am.  Sad

Had a predictable struggle -- as in unsuccessful -- to disconnect the quick release POS fuel connector.  Should be easier now in AC and on lift.  Will reread all to hints on doing that right before I relaunch the fight.  

In this case, not sure it's ever been disconnected since it left Mandello.  Recall, too, that it only has 3400 or so miles, and thus for most of the time since delivery has sat unridden in "CCOBG" [climate-controlled only by God] facility.  

That same storage and infrequent use has no doubt taken a toll on all sorts of gaskets and hoses, as some of you surmised may well be the leak(s) I first posted about, above.

I have, BTW, been thinking about buying this, as the owner -- a fine fellow, but who is not enamored by it -- has hinted about a good deal available if interested.

Tempting, but unlikely for all sorts of reasons.  OTOH ... Wink

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:47 am

Bill Hagan wrote:

Had a predictable struggle -- as in unsuccessful -- to disconnect the quick release POS fuel connector.  Should be easier now in AC and on lift.  Will reread all to hints on doing that right before I relaunch the fight.  

If not done already, disconnect the pump power connector and start the bike. It will empty the fuel hoses and remove the pressure, making the quick release, quick to release Smile

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:45 am

Here is a video from Paul which might help too

Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:21 pm

janguzzi wrote:
Here is a video from Paul which might help too

Wonder if Paul would fly over to help? Wink

Seriously, I understand the "theory," but am stumped at application. Hardly the first or last.

Now that it's on the lift and in the cool, I'll give it another try.

FWIW, I liked this vid, too:

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Vittorio in Moto Grappa! cheers

It wasn’t quick.  But it did release. Rolling Eyes

Now … to detach (and label) hoses, etc., and pull tank to see source of leak.

Btw, in the short time the tank was unpinned by rear bolt, it swelled enough to prevent reattaching. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 am

The Paul Harvey to the above follows.

Pix tell most of it ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I came very close to "bidding" on this when owner Mike was unhappy.  Didn't, mostly because I didn't "need" it.  Yes, I know; irrelevant.   Wink

He's happy now.    cheers

Kudos of all sorts due to Martin Wagner and Travis King for doing the real work.

Bill

P.S. If you care, hover cursor over pix for captions.

Oz1200Guzzi, Weißgerät and knumbnutz like this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:20 am

Great report! The photos are very good! Congrats!

Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:48 pm

Try that on a Stelvio and you'll really be cursing. I use auto hose, works great. Great picks Bill, like always.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:34 pm

Nice dog pics, Bill!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
StuartEvans
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
StuartEvans

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:47 am

Your pics are fantastic! I had this very thing to deal with on my Norge. I went through everything you did, but replacing both breather hoses doesn't appear to have solved the problem. I've got a good deal of oil still getting onto the left header pipe (https://youtu.be/0RISUjukUBk).

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:17 pm

Could that just be residual Oil?
What about the Hose that runs from the front-left of the Recirc Canister, round the front of the Headstock, and back to the Airbox.
Would be easy to miss if you found the two Breather Hoses Split at the Canister.

Did you check the Oil Pressure Switch while the Tank and Airbox(?) were off, and the Crank Position Sensor?
Probably not either of those though, I don't think any Oil leaking from those would reach up to the Exhaust.

Back to top Go down
StuartEvans
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
StuartEvans

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Doc. wrote:
Could that just be residual Oil?
What about the Hose that runs from the front-left of the Recirc Canister, round the front of the Headstock, and back to the Airbox.
Would be easy to miss if you found the two Breather Hoses Split at the Canister.

Did you check the Oil Pressure Switch while the Tank and Airbox(?) were off, and the Crank Position Sensor?
Probably not either of those though, I don't think any Oil leaking from those would reach up to the Exhaust.

I didn't clean the oil off prior to my run, so I suppose it could be residual oil, but it just seems like a lot and it did continue to drip onto the ground...
I didn't think about the hose running to the air box - I'll look at that when I pull it all apart again. I took the tank off but I didn't actually remove the airbox. I'll try that and see if there's any evidence at the oil pressure switch. The weeping from the breather hoses seemed to be from the cylinder end, not the other end, but looking at those great pictures from the original post, I'll be going back and inspecting the hoses I pulled out. Thanks for your helpful comments!

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:02 pm

You might be able to see the forward end of the Canister-to-Airbox Hose without taking anything off/apart.
Stick the Bars fully to the left, and look down in front of the Yokes (Triple-Trees).
If it is that leaking, you should see Oil around the area.

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:14 pm

Rule of thumb for all CARC guzzis is not to overfill the oil tank. Otherwise the excess oil will end up in the airbox filter.

Personally, I only fill to halfway up the oil dipstick.

Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:13 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
Rule of thumb for all CARC guzzis is not to overfill the oil tank.  Otherwise the excess oil will end up in the airbox filter.

Personally, I only fill to halfway up the oil dipstick.
Is that with the bike on the side stand and the dip stick not screwed in?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Nope. Bike upright and stick not screwed in.

As mentioned elsewhere recently fill it to halfway up the stick between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks and don't add any more unless it drops off the stick. They all find their own level and then stabilise somewhere between that halfway mark and the 'Add' mark. Once it has stabilised you can find out where it sits on the stick when the bike is on its sidestand and use that as your 'Full' mark for roadside checking.

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Not super critical.  I like to check my oil level with the bike vertical.

Dip stick screwed in or not?  Not too much difference.  I prefer to note the level without the dip stick screwed in (otherwise there would be a Dipstick screwing in a dip stick!).

Oops!  Pete beat me to the punch.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

8v Oil Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8v Oil Leak   8v Oil Leak Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

8v Oil Leak
Page 1 of 1