GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

V85TT Travel

Go down 
+7
lcjohnny
beetle
Chris W
Pete Roper
garyclem
Clancy
Oz1200Guzzi
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:38 pm

Well today I rode for the first time my new bike.

A couple of issues:
- The instruction are written in a font so small, it must almost be illegal; and
- My eyes are getting worse compounding the first point

Nevertheless, I went and did around 40 odd km, ensuring I didn't leave my LGA.

- Dash - easy to see details in full sun; lots on there and I will get my head around it in good time; I discovered the handgrip heater by accident and it took me a while to get my head around where the control is for them - eventually sorted
- Modes - There are 5 modes: Sport; Street; Rain; Off-road and a custom one (don't know about this yet as I just saw it); easy to change while riding: let the throttle return to its home position and toggle through the modes. Verdict: Sport is a waste of time, the Ride By Wire throttle is too bloody sensitive, especially in traffic; Street seems right for ... riding on the street, funny that; I didn't really try the others, apart from step through them
- Handling - is different, well different to the Sport. The V85 has bigger wheels, better suspension and is taller - feels like a big trail bike, which is probably what it is in reality. No issues just different; The bike while tall (and I am not) does not feel top heavy, unlike my Sport, so moving around and even throwing it around a bit all felt safe and capable - a few more weeks and some less than stellar roads will be interesting.
- Standing up on the pegs felt really natural - looking forward to exploring more of that soon
- Clutch is extremely light and with really nice progressive feel and takeup. But a cable FFS!
- screen - it works, probably good in the wet too, though that has not been test yet, very little wind buffeting

Dislikes:
- the seat, yes the seat, reminds me of the seat on a motox bike - a 1/2 hour and I am looking for a new position - the Sport, while not a Russell day long, is good for a long day and feels like an old armchair in comparison. I have a lower seat on order so see what that turns out like. It might just be the stiffness of the foam and may settle with use, time will tell
- suspension is harsh - mind you I haven't changed anything from how it arrived, so I suspect that can be dialled in some yet
- the height - though that will start getting sorted with the new seat - however, I suspect for bush tracks or fire trails, use of the seat should be a moot point as one should be on the pegs anyway.
- throttle response is nothing short of foul - this may be because the bike has less than 50 km on the dial and the engine is not even close to run in. Holding a steady throttle is damn near impossible and the engine "feels" like it is missing - might be the mapping, the mode, the new engine, who knows -  I'll keep an eye on it. It might be I just have to get used to it. It caused me to grip the handgrips too tight as a result and I found myself having to forcibly relax.
- soft-touch switch-gear - call these the indefinite articles - I will get used to them and will probably get spoilt for when I am back on the Sport - certainly a first world problem.

Undecided:
- kilometres to running out of fuel is a bit confusing - it kept getting bigger! The average consumption seemed pretty high in the 16 l/100 km range. Again the tight engine might have something to do with that.
- acceleration - I was surprised that when giving it a handful, it leap into action, bringing on the "shift" lights seemingly way early at a little over 5,000 rpm - this is probably adjustable...
- cruise control simply doesn't work - that could be me not knowing how it's supposed to work. Blatting along the freeway was a constant adjustment of throttle, so it would be nice to get it working and trying it out
- tyres seem adequate - they are Michelin Anakee - fine on the bitumen and don't seem to have any vices that I saw, well not yet anyway
- Handlebar and controls position - these will need adjusting to fit me
- Brakes - these were not really tested at all. They feel adequate, jury's out on that one.

To Be:
- I have a Zard muffler to fit - I will fit it in a week or two when I feel benevolent towards it.
- I have a seat of header pipes (you can no longer fit a Y-pipe in place of the colostomy bag as it's all one piece now) on order, which will be changed when they arrive.
- Lower seat is on the  same ship as the headers.
- Considering a tank bag of some sort - not going on any trips on it yet so no rush.
- A few small modifications to my current rear rack (from the Sport) and it will fit on the V85 too - so two slabs on the V85 is easily doable.

I am not unhappy with my purchase - I just am not "at one" with it yet. I remember this happened when I got my Sport (14 years ago) and it did take a while.
More reports as I generate them...

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hagan, odder, guzzig5 and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:20 pm

Nice report Tony.
When given the chance you need to turn that 40 into 400 into 4000, and then do another review Smile
Maybe start by riding it to the new house!

I've done 40K kms on the GRiSO and I still can't get used to the horn/indicator switch reversed positions.
Hope you have better luck getting used to the V85TT controls.
Back to top Go down
garyclem
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
garyclem

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
- throttle response is nothing short of foul - this may be because the bike has less than 50 km on the dial and the engine is not even close to run in. Holding a steady throttle is damn near impossible and the engine "feels" like it is missing - might be the mapping, the mode, the new engine, who knows -  I'll keep an eye on it. It might be I just have to get used to it. It caused me to grip the handgrips too tight as a result and I found myself having to forcibly relax

....for what its worth Tony, my understanding, they have to tune em so lean in the lower rev range to meet Euro (whatever its up to) emission regs that the latest generation of new bikes (any brand) suffer what you describe. A revised map will fix it. Mark, hopefully, will be able to help.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:42 pm

We shall see, Gary. Unfortunately it uses the latest ECU and to date, I do not believe it can be talked to - but I am hopeful.

Makes my old Sport a silk purse in comparison.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:07 am

As I understand it the new Euro 5 ECU hasn't been cracked yet. No doubt there will be new levels of anti-tampering technology involved and while I'm sure the push is on to make tampering more difficult for a variety of reasons, many of them quite reasonable, the fact remains that the 'Loud Pipe and throw more fuel at it and it'll go like the clappers' brigade aren't doing anyone any favours! Least of all people who want their bikes to run better than they do with their 'Built on a poverty budget' factory mapping.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:56 am

I am certainly not in that brigade, Pete, despite my Sport's volume under pressure. If we can do a fuel map, we will, else it will get the Zard fitted and the colostomy bag changed over to straight pipe.

Early days yet.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:16 am

I wasn't suggesting you were Tony but you know the demographic I mean?
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:57 am

good feedback Tony
seems like it always takes longer than expected to get a bike truly dialed in

Clancy wrote:

I've done 40K kms on the GRiSO and I still can't get used to the horn/indicator switch reversed positions.
Hope you have better luck getting used to the V85TT controls.

same here!! going on 2 years and still have to think about it instead  of being a reflex
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:41 pm

Clancy said:
When given the chance you need to turn that 40 into 400 into 4000, and then do another review Smile
Maybe start by riding it to the new house!

Not on that seat Clancy.

Pete said:
I wasn't suggesting you were Tony but you know the demographic I mean?

I know Pete, just making sure everyone else knows, too. If it wasn't for very widely varying demographics, us "normal" people wouldn't be. However I beg the right to exclude myself from the "normal" range from time to time.

A bit like "common sense" - it simply isn't. Common, that it.

I rode yesterday with the new gloves I gave myself for Father's Day - they are winter gloves and work very, very well. Probably too well for such a warm day as yesterday. From MCAS, RJays Circuit glove - Reduced from $100 to $80 but only if you are a father - childless blokes expect to pay an extra $20. Funny, I don't remember having to prove anything - maybe it was the "Father's Day Sale" that did it. Curious.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:52 pm

Went shopping on the Sport, as a back to back comparison. The Sport is like an old jacket, stretched into place and snug as.

Compared to the V85 that is. It will take some getting used to, like all things. More distance, more fitting, methinks.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Lashed out today and did a back to back comparison, with my Sport.

There is only three things in common:
- The V engine, transverse mounted;
- The Manufacturer; and
- The Aprilia mirrors

Everything is different. Getting from the V85 onto the Sport made me feel like a rank newby - especially since the Sport and I have done 148,000 km together.

I now have 100 km on the V85 - I know, not even an apprentice's effort.

V85TT:
- Big trail bike
- easy handling
- handles it weight with ease
- Cruise control is ssswwweeeeeett, once you work out how it works
- Very flickable
- seat didn't kill my arse today
- screen will need some adjustment
- suspension - rear doesn't follow the front - not touched anything yet
- not a top speed contender - best cruise speed is less than 120 k/h

Sport:
- almost a racing crouch after the V85
- heavy, cumbersome and requires considerable rider input to turn
- top heavy at slow speed
- on the open road, a mile-eating machine
- cruises comfortably in the 120-180 range

Consumption: Sport gets around 5.0 l/100 km; V85 is getting 20.5 km per litre - pretty much the same thing really. However the V85 is not even close to run in.

Looking forward to the lower seat, fitting the full exhaust and Zard muffler and getting some back-lane miles, on the V85TT.

I don't hate it, nor do I love it - yet!

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:17 am

Potential geegaw?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:41 am

Not for me Mark. If I went down that road, an Ural might be fun - not enough want to want to do it. What a way to kill the engine, which sings when pressed.
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:10 am

Thumbs Up

Sounds like you're finding the same things Huzo has found comparing his Norge & V85TT.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:16 am

[expletive deleted]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:23 am

Took the Travel for a 90km spin today - didn't leave the LGA but did travel on some different roads.

Getting used to the handling (nothing wrong with it, just so different from the Sport) but that seat is a pain in the arse (right royal PITA).

I took some roads less travelled that were bumpy and sketchy - need to do something with both ends (suspension) as it's set for racetrack conditions - not that it's a race track type bike.

From 2,000 rpm she pulls really well, especially on tight uphill corners - I was quite surprised! What a bitch when cold though - you would think it was running on one cylinder, it wasn't but does not fuel well when cold. Never looked like stalling but ran more akin to a feral cat (apologies to cat lovers).

Still, it's not a long distance bike (well, not yet anyway) and the new seat may make some difference. Apart from that I like the "upright" riding position. I lost my earplugs between the shed and the helmet - couldn't be arsed going back for a new pair, so rode without them. The screen works pretty well but the "clunk" on changing gears seemed a bit over the top. It may have been more noticeable when I first set off and I got used to it, or my gear changing got better. Fuck knows!

Anyway, I am close to getting a tank bag for it (the $$$, oh the $$$) - it will be the Royster with tank ring and map pocket. Tank rings are out of stock ATM and I will pull the trigger soonish. I find the tank bag on the Sport so bloody handy, I miss it on the Travel.

Come on freight!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 am

Isn't, like, supposed to be a long distance bike?

One shouldn't have to spend big to turn a "TT" into a TT. It's OK to spend big on a GRiSO to turn into a T. Not a TT. It's just a T, 'cos wee tank and shit suspension. And no legroom. plus other stuff that make it not a touring motorbicycle.

What? I like doughnuts.

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:20 am

Cordial Mark?

TT is not a TT in this case, it actually means TT. Though it will Travel!

Maybe I've got a broken arse after last weeks effort.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:22 am

Thats disappointing about the seat comfort - lots of the tests and reviews have made it out to be very comfortable out of the box Sad

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:30 am

Jon, I have no doubt it is a good long distance ride, it's probably me that's the problem.

I might have been spoilt with the Sport seat too, as it fits my lard arse like a glove.

The seat may soften too, though I might have to do it all again with the lower seat when it comes.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:46 am

That is worrisome.

"TT" should not mean "Tush Torturer!"

Have a friend with a TT who has not mentioned this issue, but he and I are riding to Kentucky on Thursday, so I'll ask him.

My own LWPR -- Lower Well Padded Region Wink -- finds all saddles just fine.  I do have to adjust my "forward lowers" now and then, but I have never suffered what I read and hear about in the sense of pain that sucks the fun out of riding.

Hope you figure out a solution, Tony.

Bill

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:55 am

At least is very comfortable when standing on the pegs - one actually see the dash/speedo while standing, which I can't on the Sport. Some off-road riding demands that a bum is not on a seat - not that I am that good.

However sometimes, standing up is the best way to navigate certain surfaces. Cornering while standing, on bitumen is weird as the centre of gravity gets way higher.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:53 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Cordial Mark?

Aye. drunken

Quote :

TT is not a TT in this case, it actually means TT. Though it will Travel!

Maybe I've got a broken arse after last weeks effort.

I'm with Bill. It should be a comfy ride. It's kind of it's design brief, innit? scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:59 am

Design brief? That might be locked up in the vault along with the 5AM ecu source code
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 am

Yes. It seems only the V85 CENTENARIO is purported to have a "comfortable padded brown saddle".

You've purchased the wrong version. The Travel must have been designed for bubble-butted riders. Not that I know what kind of arse you have, but it must have mutated to fit the nut-busting plank that the Sport sports.

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

V85TT Travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

V85TT Travel
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next