GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil sump alternative

Go down 
+4
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
motor-timothy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Oil sump alternative  Empty
PostSubject: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am

Hello all, quick question. Apparently something has damaged 2 of the cooling fins on the sump, and oil weeps from it. Very little, not enough to leave an oil pool under the engine, but enough to leave a greasy spot on the sump that reappears after I clean it. I noticed the original oil sump #976486 has been replaced by #879874 and I was wondering if its a straight swap?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:22 am

It seems to be a straightforward supercession. No idea why the change but the only differences I know of apart from colour are from the earlier sump and spacer system and the later, post 2015 machines that use the Cali 14 sump.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:26 pm

It might be able to be welding up, to use as a spare for when you get your new one.

I have a broken one from when I rode over a gutter, never did get it fixed, must look to that...
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:35 pm

Grazie mille mr. Roper!

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
It might be able to be welding up, to use as a spare for when you get your new one.

I have a broken one from when I rode over a gutter, never did get it fixed, must look to that...

I have already asked around, seems no one does aluminum welding anymore. The only one in the vicinity technically capable refused because it took too much effort to change the gas or something.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:57 pm

motor-timothy wrote:

I have already asked around, seems no one does aluminum welding anymore. The only one in the vicinity technically capable refused because it took too much effort to change the gas or something.

Shocked

How lazy! Maybe if you had gone in with a fist full of €100 bills he might have been more motivated...

Is JB Weld worth trying?

scratch

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Evilgarfield
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evilgarfield

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:02 am

beetle wrote:

Is JB Weld worth trying?

scratch

If the crack is indeed small, since the sump does not get any stress on it and does not reach unbearable temperatures, I would indeed suggest JB weld. A failure of the weld would not be a huge issue since you are loosing very little oil. Just make sure to replace the part if you ever leave for a long trip away from your place, just for peace of mind. But for commuting or week-end fun you should be fine.
Be sure to clean the surfaces very well, including the inside of the crack itself!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:58 am

motor-timothy wrote:
Grazie mille mr. Roper!

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

To do it properly, the welder would have to bolt it, gasket side down so it wouldn't warp. There are probably others around - aluminium welding is de rigeur these days.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:06 pm

Properly cleaned, and applied, JB will last forever.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:18 pm

Not knowing the answer to this so thought I’d ask; why not braze the aluminum ?
Would this add too much heat to the sump & likely distort it ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:43 pm

For aluminium, one must fill it with aluminium. Brazing is OK on steel though.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:08 am

You could probably fill hole/crack with enough flux & a slightly lower mp Al alloy filler/solder BUT it looks like major skill skirting close to melting the job.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil sump alternative    Oil sump alternative  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil sump alternative
Page 1 of 1