GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Empty
PostSubject: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:51 am

Awright. Started my fairly new to me first GRiSO to keep battery in good shape. Noticed smoke in front of the bike. Got a couple degrees turn on the manifold bolts, but it had a blueish hue so-- Researched, found condom thread.  Checked air return hose to heads, not good. So away we go.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yup, just as some Guzzi models are alleged to have fuel components not fit for ethanol contact, this one seems to have PCV elements not fit for oil contact. Or perhaps its the detergents in some types of oil.  Or perhaps heat was unanticipated. Anyway, that's fine, already have the parts.  BTW, after getting some aid from the reference video, quick disconnect was pretty easy accessed from the left/kickstand side under the frame.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Looking around under there...hose from top of right side which presumably goes to charcoal can is just cut and left open. Gr.
Then, I paid for throttle body balance after purchase/before shipping...well maybe I'm just trying to be mad but how good is a TB balance if the cables adjustments are jacked to begin with? Or is this normal?  Seems like balancing TBs that are opening at variable rates would be a suboptimal...

Anway, back at the surgery in the morning.  Appeal for experience tips/pointers, this armored oil return line, can it be fished out from under the tank or is further dissassembly required to get TB brackets etc out of the way? I bumped the fitting and got a slight extra measure of tightness...might do for now...but there's minor seepage well up the line.
Hobby garage is turning into purgatory of time-sucks.  And yes, I put LEDs on theGRiSo.

Last edited by SMTCapeCod on Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:31 am; edited 2 times in total

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:04 pm

The excessive cable free play will have zero effect on balance. All you need to do is take out the free play with the adjusters at the twist grip end.

The return line looks like it's leaking at the crimp. I'd take it off, (Have something handy to block the sump fitting obviously.) and take it to a hose shop and have them make a new one.
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:08 pm

Thank you Pete!!!
I did see that at the crimp in the pic but it has some crud up around the heads too.  I'll check for any other source that upper level schlemmik might've come from.  I already have the replacement Guzzi part.  Custom sounds better now that I- well, you- think of it.

Hate that my brain was broke on the throttle/cable balance issue-- but relieved, none the less!  Seemed like the left side had a lot more slack than the right, hence my ire.   Will review your TB vid again- great contribution there!

Oh...wait....now I see what's going on there. Colossal blunder...
Guess I was trying pretty hard to be mad, haha.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Still unclear on something.
Currently, #12 here is cut and vents to atmosphere. Was thinking it would route down to charcoal canister but manual shows it going to air box port.

That said, the middle tap for the idle stepper valve #4 here(/) is connected to the airbox port on the left side, where #12 is supposed to go. Appears to be a molded hose correct for the purpose?

I couldn't find another illustration showing where #4 is routed/terminates?

Also wondering whether #8 in first pick can be fished out without further disassembly after tank is off?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:09 pm

#12 goes to airbox on European/uk variants as we don't have charcoal canisters - it goes to the RHS airbox lug (as you sit on it) so the diagram is to wrong side. I'm guessing the cannister return would still go to the airbox rather than open.

#4 goes to the LHS airbox lug to feed stepper air.

#8 will come out if you undo the bolt but it's at the lowest point of the sump; so unless it's blocked with emulsion (likely in UK !), you may have to drain sump oil.

Not clear why you want to remove #8 though. The condom is clearly failed so that must be major source of the oil. If the oil return pipe has some damage at the top end, I would cut a bit off and either refit shorter OR add a section with a straight through connector....

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:10 pm

The canister on U.S. bikes is just for venting the fumes from the gas tank, no? It shouldn’t have anything to do with venting the blow by system. I would think that #12 still should go to the air box…….
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:05 pm

Just looked at my 2014 and there is a hose on the kick stand side of the air box you can see without taking the tank or seat off that’s routed up towards the blow by box. Maybe you just need to plug it back on.
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:53 am

JohnA wrote:
The canister on U.S. bikes is just for venting the fumes from the gas tank, no? It shouldn’t have anything to do with venting the blow by system. I would think that #12 still should go to the air box…….

Confirmed, view was obstructed and light was poor at night, finally located the air box port on the right (gear shift) side.
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:38 am

Well.  That turned out to be un-fun.
There was sweat.
There was blood.
There was an attempt to find hose lube  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] from my boat toolbox, but had to settle for ceramic car soap.

Link to external thread with additional pics, identifications for both 1100 and 1200:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

All for that top left connection at the breather box.  I don't really fathom the utility of stretching that hose diameter over that hose barb, especially when it's clamped.  
And now I'm standing by for larger clamp, i'm using stainless full-circle fuel injection clamps, and didn't anticipate the larger size.
Other interesting part was, on the right side at the box, the factory crimp was on the front, sandwiched between the barb and the frame and inaccessible. They must've built the bike around that install.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

At least I'm getting closer to my customary Step 1 for a new-to-me: plugs, wires and full fluid purge/replace.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting   Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sort of new to me 1200SE, continued sorting
Page 1 of 1