GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?

Go down 
+4
GuzziSteve
Kiwi_Roy
Chris W
JohnA
8 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Empty
PostSubject: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:33 am

After 8 years it’s about time to add an IPhone charger USB port. Is it possible to use the GPS wiring that lives someplace up front? I already have the stratus interruptus and heated gear wired to by battery directly so it would be good to not have to add something else. If I do, I suppose it might be best to buy one of those terminal concentrators and pull one connection back to the battery along with the stratus interruptus. I see Amazon has lots of kits for USB connection to wire to the battery. Is this my only option?
Thank you!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:34 am

Startus….damn auto correct….
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:07 am

John,
I wired mine directly to the battery as you mentioned. this is probably the safest way to insure the circuit is sized correctly and that you don't overload an existing ckt.
that being said, a phone charger has minimal draw and most likely the GPS ckt. can handle it if you can locate it.
I too was having too many connections directly to the battery and ended up making an auxillary fuse block and put it behind the airbox

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I can recommend a cheap, $30 holder and wireless charger from amazon. I installed mine 2 years ago and haven't had a problem with it. no issues with the phone detaching while riding and it also has a USB port on the side that I have used to charge my intercomm unit while i camped.

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:20 am

Thank you Chris.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:53 pm

If you don't have a dedicated USB outlet an easy place to break into the wiring is across the park light aka city light. This way it only charges while the bike is turned On.
If you want to charge while the bike is Off Battery Tender sell an adapter that plugs into the battery tender outlet.
These are available from multiple sources.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:30 am

I found the GPS connector and cable. Can I just cut the head off and use that? Would be the easiest for me.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:28 am

Yes, green plug? It's made to plug into a TomTom.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:33 am

Yup, the green plug. If I buy a USB kit I presume I don’t need another fuse in line?

Many thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:51 am

Hate to be so needy……but what color wires will I find in the Green plug cable and what is the positive & negative?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:26 pm

Yellow/Black is +ve
Blue is ground

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:05 pm

I used the GPS wire. Cut the green plug off and soldered an SAE plug to it. Snaked the plug up to around the left front turn signal, behind the headlight. I picked up a SAE to USB plug from Battery Tender.

Then got a RAM mount that replaces one handlebar bolt with a ball for the arm. Use the RAM arm and phone mount. Run a short charging wire from my hidden plug to the mount. Bestpart is plug is only live while bike is running.

Also have a Powerlet mounted by the left passenger peg direct to the battery with a 15 amp fuse wired in. Perfect for charging the battery or running my baby air-compressor if someone gets a flat. Or the jumper cables I was just eyeballin' at Wally World.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:51 pm

The problem with using the Tom Tom plug for power is that it is switched - live only with the ignition. I find I do most of my phone & tablet charging overnight when camping, so for me it's better if the power outlets are always live. I have one coming out under the tank at the headstock, and another out over the top of the LHS sidecover. Both are fused. If you can manage to fit a FuseBlock in somewhere, it's a lot neater. Also note that you can get various adapters to fit on the Powerlet connector.

For holding the iPhone up the front, I use a RAM ball & RAM mount for the iPhone, but now there is QuadLock - definitely worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:55 pm

Oh yes. I like the SAE fused connector, $7.95 (Australian) from Jaycar.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:12 pm

I used the GPS connector. I actually like the idea of it not being active unless the engine is running. I've also used a SAE connector from Jaycar, and I've attached a Quadlock charger.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:37 am

Thanks to everyone for your help and experience.
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:30 pm

JohnA wrote:
After 8 years it’s about time to add an IPhone charger USB port. Is it possible to use the GPS wiring that lives someplace up front? I already have the stratus interruptus and heated gear wired to by battery directly so it would be good to not have to add something else. If I do, I suppose it might be best to buy one of those terminal concentrators and pull one connection back to the battery along with the stratus interruptus. I see Amazon has lots of kits for USB connection to wire to the battery. Is this my only option?
Thank you!

Here’s my front end setup, sans wiring. The phone holder/wireless charger is by RAM, as is the handlebar adapter and the support arm. The USB port is from Amazon and the fork tube mounts, 53mm and 31mm steering damper mounts, via ebay. I’ll be adding a Fuzeblock (https://www.fuzeblocks.com/) to provide for switched power to the USB, temp gauge, and heated grips, with circuits to spare. The nice thing about the Fuzeblock is that it allows for both relay controlled and unswitched connections which is handy when also incorporating a Battery Tender, or second always-on USB port.

Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:51 pm

Here are a couple photos of the Fuzeblock and its wiring installed under the saddle. The relay is triggered by the taillight circuit. The top of the Fuzeblock enclosure is just about even with the bottom of the opening for the airbox snorkel and is held in place with a piece of industrial strength Velcro. I used a prefabricated bit of 10AWG wiring harness but clipped off the supplied 3/8” (10mm) ring lugs while shortening the leads to fit. Then I crimped on some new 1/4” (6mm) lugs and used heat shrink over the barrels. The 10AWG reduces to 14AWG at the Fuzeblock via two-pin SAE connector lead.

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:57 am

Tom,
You need to lose the snorkel on your air box and you’d have lots more room. It’s really not needed.
Back to top Go down
GuzziLooper
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
GuzziLooper

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:08 pm

JohnA wrote:
Tom,
You need to lose the snorkel on your air box and you’d have lots more room. It’s really not needed.

Come now, where’s the challenge in that?! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?   What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What’s the best way to add an IPhone charger?
Page 1 of 1