GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clutch gone?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Moto degs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Moto degs

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:49 am

Lovely 100 mile ride last week and a short trip yesterday. As I put her into the garage yesterday I found that neutral had disappeared. As I was in a hurry I just left her in gear.
Today there is still no neutral, pulls on a feathered clutch, but bunnyhops and stalls with the clutch disengaged, and smells strongly of hot metal.
I'm hoping against hope that this isn't a completely fried clutch needing an engine out replacement as she's a 2014 1200 with 3000miles on the clock.
Local bike mechanic, who admitted knowing little about Moto Guzzi, thinks I need a new clutch.
Ideas?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:14 pm

Have you checked that the plunger in the lever isn't loose in the barrel and has wound out?

How much travel does the lever have before you start to feel resistance when you pull the lever towards the bars?
Back to top Go down
Moto degs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Moto degs

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:20 pm

Probably about 1 to 2 cm.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm

Sounds like the plunger's loose and wound itself out. It doesn't have to turn far.
Back to top Go down
Moto degs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Moto degs

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:10 pm

Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:22 pm

The only year that is known to have clutch problems is 2012, (Year of manufacture. I don't know if bikes in the UK are dated by manufacture or sale.) and the ones you hear about are usually Stelvios although my 2012 in my GRiSO was showing signs of wear to the spring seats when I swapped the gearbox a few months ago, (It got a new clutch.). I would be very, very surprised if your clutch is fucked. Given the very low mileage I would be completely unsurprised if the plunger has come loose.

Do you understand the piece I'm talking about? We've covered this before so I'm sure there is a thread somewhere but if you're unsure say so and I'll try and dig out some pics.
Back to top Go down
Moto degs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Moto degs

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:30 pm

Hi. Yeah I've been looking through stuff and it's the lever plunger that's held with a grub screw that is often difficult to remove?
I haven't seen any decent photos yet.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:58 pm

If you do a search using 'Clutch plunger adjustment' it brings up a swag of threads with pics.
Back to top Go down
Moto degs
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Moto degs

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:04 am

OK, I did lots of reading and looking at pictures. Don't really understand how the plunger can move if we need to heat up the locktite to adjust it.
However, got to the bike today and the problem has spontaneously sorted itself. Half and hours ride, and it's sweet as a nut, as they say here.
So I've no idea what happened, but I wanted to thank you for your input.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clutch gone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch gone?   Clutch gone? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clutch gone?
Page 1 of 1