GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

oil level quickie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

oil level quickie Empty
PostSubject: oil level quickie   oil level quickie Icon_minitime1Wed May 25, 2022 3:01 pm

changed the oil on the GRiSO, but not the filter (I plan to do that after my next long trip in about a week's time) Oil was overdue and here on my shelf and my bunch of filters are sitting in my other workshop about 800 miles away...

anyway

drained the whole thing except the filter and started to add oil. Not wanting to overfill, after 2.75 litres I checked the (horribly designed) dipstick. I was already well over the top mark, bike upright, dipstick just resting on the threads

I'd also marked where the previous oil had settled to, which was quite a bit lower than where 2.75l got me to.

All seems quite surprising, does the filter really hold that much? It's only a wee thing....

I guess if it's overfilled it'll find its level fairly quickly, we're going for a real long motorway blast in a couple of days time

I'm not losing sleep over this, but the thoughts of those that know these motors a million times better than me would be welcome

Cheers

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

oil level quickie Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil level quickie   oil level quickie Icon_minitime1Wed May 25, 2022 3:14 pm

I’d drain some out until the level is a little below the midpoint on the stick. You don’t want all the excess blowing back and fouling the throttle bodies.

Gootzibird13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

oil level quickie Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil level quickie   oil level quickie Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2022 9:29 am

yeah, I came to that conclusion as well, it's now halfway between the two dipstick marks on the centrestand.

Thanks for your reply

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

oil level quickie Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil level quickie   oil level quickie Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2022 12:49 pm

I guess it is too late to measure the amount of oil that you drained out of the bike? If still possible to do so, you can then find out how much you were supposed to pour back in.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

oil level quickie Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil level quickie   oil level quickie Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:24 am

Thought I’d add my experience for any newbies to read. I’ve never overfilled my bike due to the information here fortunately although I think at least once I drained some out after checking the level. It feels like human nature to want to “fill things up”. Plus, when you buy the 4 liter bottles of oil you have plenty to use to overfill. My GRiSO is a 2014 and has the sump with the additional sump spacer. I know better than to try and use more than 3 liters on an oil and filter change and it’s surprising how much you can get into the new filter when filling it. So when I recently got around to changing both the sump and spacer gaskets and got all the oil out of the sump, it then needed more than the 3.0 liters. It might have taken 3.2 or 3.3 to put the level half way up the dipstick. It’s incredible how important this is to not screwing up your throttle bodies.
Thought I’d post all of this since reading has been slow this time of year on the Ghetto.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

oil level quickie Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil level quickie   oil level quickie Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

oil level quickie
Page 1 of 1