GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?

Go down 
+7
plantboy
beetle
Pete Roper
Tolle09
hookah
Steak
HOG4DNR
11 posters
AuthorMessage
HOG4DNR
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
HOG4DNR

Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 am

I was about to install my Ohlins shock and decided it was beyond my abilities ( I have very little patients ). The top bolt of the shock faces to the right and is impossible to get to.

Of course, the back of the bolt is easily seen from the left. If Guzzi would have reversed the bolt this would have been much easier. I had the rear of the bike taken apart just to find out I had to remove the airbox, I wasn't going to go through that BS, with limited time. Rant Over

So if anyone out there can give me a little insight on how to do this job I would greatly appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

I would just suggest doing the job when you have ample time allotted.  It's not a big nor complicated swap. Plan for the time, put on some tunes, and enjoy the wrenching.  Grab a sandwich and a beer after you've got it all disassembled and then get back to installing the nice upgrade.

Sometimes it pays to just slow down and smell the roses.

Rome wasn't built in a day...  What a Face

I have the 1200 8V Workshop Manual available in the Technical Downloads section of the forum. Here is a link to it if you want a shortcut.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
HOG4DNR
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
HOG4DNR

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to get to the bolt.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:02 am

The photo on page 210 of the final step "Undo and remove the upper screw" is shown from the dorsal aspect. This suggests that removal of the airbox and battery box provides the best access to the upper mount for removal.

But you've gotten a variety of responses on the other boards as well. Roper says you can access the bolt with a universal elbow socket drive without removing the airbox, so there is another option. Personally, I'd prefer having more room to work rather than snaking bits and pieces in and out.

Hopefully, you'll find your answer soon.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
hookah
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
hookah

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 pm

HOG4DNR ,When you said you have very little patients i assumed you were a Doctor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Wouldn't that be a children's Doctor? Or one from middle Earth.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:40 am

The air box has to come off, and what a long one it is.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:21 am

No it doesn't. You can get to the top mount with a long extension with a wobbly on the end. From memory a GRiSO shock will slip out easily enough. Breva/Norge are a bigger PITA because of the shock knob.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:25 am

Pete and I changed mine without pulling the air box out. Just sayin'.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:56 am

My old-school country town bike mechanic swapped my shock over for less than an hour's labour and lubed the linkage at the same time - not sure if he removed the airbox and don't really care.  Way back last century he used to sponsor and wrench for a youngster named Mick Doohan.
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:54 am

Pulled the CARC off and swapped mine. Lubbed the swingarm bearings as such while there.

Didn't need to take the airbox off, extension and swivel. Only special tool listed in the manual turns out to be a common C spanner which I already had. If you have the lifts it's not a big thing.

Here's photo evidence, borrowed from Pete over on the ape forum....(thanks Pete  cheers Thumbs Up )
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:44 pm

you have the blue jack/lift holding up the bike. What part of the bike is the jack supporting?

DM
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Pretty sure it's the front wheel chocks attached to the lift to secure the front, with an additional scissor lift under the engine oil pan. You need to have the front held down as the CARC is heavy moving the center of gravity rearward. I don't have a full bike lift, just the ATV lift so I had to strap the front down and do a lot of hunching over Sad

14mm hex for the swingarm IIRC, same size as late model Aprilia/MG steering stem.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:18 pm

ahhhh, I have been pretty paranoid about lifting the bike from the oil pan.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:07 pm

DM, if you place a piece of timber between the pan and the lifting device to spread the load, you are OK.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Yup, I tie the front down with tie-downs to the front of the bench via the handlebars and then lift under the sump. As long as you aren't stupid the sump is fine.

Pete
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:58 pm

beetle wrote:
DM, if you place a piece of timber between the pan and the lifting device to spread the load, you are OK.

Shhhhhh, I have already done that but I was afraid I would get castigated for admitting it. Smile
I am still very keen to get a factory pivot lift stand.
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:59 pm

HOG4DNR wrote:
I was about to install my Ohlins shock and decided it was beyond my abilities ( I have very little patients ). The top bolt of the shock faces to the right and is impossible to get to.

Of course, the back of the bolt is easily seen from the left. If Guzzi would have reversed the bolt this would have been much easier. I had the rear of the bike taken apart just to find out I had to remove the airbox, I wasn't going to go through that BS, with limited time. Rant Over

So if anyone out there can give me a little insight on how to do this job I would greatly appreciate it.

Was there a happy ending to the question?

My question? What model Ohlins shock did you fit ? Are you happy with the product ? Did you specify the dimensions of the shock or off the shelf ?

The reason I ask , There seems to be plenty of technical support for Ohlins (IMHO) on the east coast of Australia due to SV racing etc

Last edited by wardest on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 am

Thought I would follow up on this. I've heard from an Ohlins distributor that nothing fits on the GRiSO.

Or is a Maxis just as good? Hell if I know!
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:07 am

Maxis? Or Matris? I think you probably mean Matris.

The Matris is a damn fine bit of kit. Just be aware they will tend to fit too heavy a spring so underestimate your weight when ordering.

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 pm

After buying 2 shocks and 3 springs I can tell you this as a gauge,
For a rider weight of 100kg (dressed) and riding solo, 11kg spring will give you a firm but compliant ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?   Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Any Tricks on Changing a Shock on a GRiSO?
Page 1 of 1