GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Morning all....

Go down 
+5
dlpannebakker
Buellbloke
Papa Lazarou
Lazlokovacs
Speedy23
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:55 pm

Hello everybody from the Midlands of the UK

I'm currently Guzzi-less, but I've got 2 Ducatis - an old 900SS from 2002 and a new 950 Supersport S.

I got into Italian bikes years ago with a Guzzi Spada back in 1981 and I loved that bike...it died on the M1 in a smash back  in 1988 but I never got over it. It taught me how a motorbike was supposed to handle and sound...a real eye opener. Did about 60000 miles on it over the years.

By the time it died, it had had a fair bit of work done, sportier cam, big 36mm carbs, heads ported to suit, lightened flywheel, suspension mods. Did a lot of this with lots of help and guidance from one of the London Guzzi Gurus of the time, a guy called Amadeo Castellani of Motomecca. As I said, I loved that bike....should have kept the wreck  but at the time had new mortgage, etc., so it went for breaking...

FF to a couple of years ago, I had a Yammy FRJ1300 ('cos I like shafties, among other reasons) after a couple of BMWs (don't ask - wouldn't buy another...) which had to go in for the 2nd gear pinion recall over the summer.

Just to stay on the road while it was laid up  I was looking for an old bike and came across the 900SS. It was Italian, a V (L?) twin...what wasn't to like - so I bought it.

Instantly got back into the Eyetie groove...this was great. Some of the engineering was a bit iffy (the desmo valve train), and the power/torque not as low down as on the Guzzi, but on the whole it was FUN.

This was more like it. It got me thinking about Guzzis again. So tried a V85 but it didn't click for me - felt a bit "feeble" if you know what I mean? And the other offerings looked a bit "plasticky"?

Duly got the 1300 back, but by this time the seed was resown. So I sold it, and bought the Supersport. Which was nice, but a bit.....sterile, if that makes sense? But hey-ho and all that.....

Now I was in new bike mode again. Then there was all the faff about the new V100...but as you all know, after the initial trumpet-blowing and production of the prototypes, it all went quiet. I wonder if they were quite ready for market?

Anyway, I've got to confess I'm not a fan of the small block Guzzis....never really liked 'em ever since the V35/50 series, and the new ones are the descendants of that line. Not too sure about the move to a unit gearbox and the relocation of the clutch, either. The new engine looks a bit "short", to me....

But I'm still thinking about Guzzis, and the more I think, the more I think I would like a GRiSO. But 4V or 8V? I'm aware of the flat tappet issues, but what else should I be thinking of?

I've seen luggage systems, but all I would really want is a set of hard panniers that don't look too naff?

Any suggestions? What sort of money are we talking about these days?

Anyway, sorry about the TLDR type post, but just getting ready to stick my toe back in the water.

(And yes, it would be the 950 that will go to make room for the new bike, if it happens....)

Last edited by Speedy23 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hagan and Frederico Pessoa like this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:49 am

honestly sounds like you'll love the GRiSO

hard luggage is tricky, especially if you plan on taking a pillion or keeping the stock exhaust, but obviously doable with enough welding and patience or money.

basically the best engine guzzi ever made, lovely torque, just enough horsepower for real fun in the real world.

Only downside from the old tontis is wheelbase... Will never quite have that same feeling of your old spada.

Ride one and see!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:16 am

Hepco and Becker make decent "semi-hard" luggage. Google their C Bow system.

Prices vary. 1100s are cheapest, say £3.5-6K. 1200 prices depends on year and mileage, like any bike. Expect to pay £4K-£9K private (£4K will be scruffy). Prices for Grisos are rising (in the UK at least) and a dealer sold a low mileage 2014/15 last December for above £10K. Anything in the Tenni colour scheme (green and brown) fetches a premium.

I'm getting old and keep thinking of selling as it is now too big for me-but it's just such a lovely thing to ride.

Bill Hagan and Frederico Pessoa like this post

Back to top Go down
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:56 am

OK been thinking (yes, dangerous I know....just disregard the smell of burning...)

Thanks for both replies. Done a bit of reading round, and given what Lazlo and PL (is Dave there?) have said, I'm interested in a late GRiSO SE 8V (or is that a tautology? I suspect so...)

So, if any of the UK contingent knows of or comes across a likely looking one, I would really appreciate it if you could tip me off? There's possibly a pint or 10 in it....

I know it's a bit cheeky, but if you wanna find out  ask the people who know!

Thanks all

S23

PS Dave, that C-Bow system looks quite neat. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:07 am

where are you based?

Back to top Go down
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:39 am

Near Stratford on Avon....
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:44 am

Speedy23 wrote:
OK been thinking (yes, dangerous I know....just disregard the smell of burning...)

Thanks for both replies. Done a bit of reading round, and given what Lazlo and PL (is Dave there?) have said, I'm interested in a late GRiSO SE 8V (or is that a tautology? I suspect so...)

So, if any of the UK contingent knows of or comes across a likely looking one, I would really appreciate it if you could tip me off? There's possibly a pint or 10 in it....

Thanks all

S23

Thanks Dave.

Mine might be for sale. Low mileage, 2016. Rollerised of course.
Back to top Go down
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:19 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Speedy23 wrote:

Thanks all

S23

Thanks Dave.

Mine might be for sale. Low mileage, 2016. Rollerised of course.

Thanks Dave.

Details? Pix? PM me if you like....

Cheers S23
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:58 pm

Pm sent. I know I'll regret this.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:09 am

Speedy23 wrote:

I'm interested in a late GRiSO SE 8V (or is that a tautology? I suspect so...)

Thanks all

S23

This one sounds right up your street, comes with both the cast preffered by many and original spoke wheels, is low miles, very late (last year of production) so defo rollerised.
A Termignoni posh replacement silencer and original. Price is the regular high for these but not too high considering the extras.
Extras include Onur bar risers, Rizoma fatbar handlebars, Rizoma bar ends, Grip Puppies, memory foam seat, Vario lowered footpegs, Hepco and Becker C-Bow luggage system, rear hugger and front fender extender, three spoke wheels, Dart flyscreen, Carc protector, Beetle map, etc. (possible member of Ghetto)
Spoked wheels, original exhaust, footpegs, handlebars etc come with it. Some spares as well, including a brand new tail unit.
Facebook Marketplace Can't believe it took me so long to realise how that link thing worked bom
Back to top Go down
dlpannebakker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
dlpannebakker

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:53 am

A major electrical issue you need to be aware of with the GRiSO especially in the first several years. The dash. It sucks. They have a tendency to go belly up even brand new units that were on the show room floor failed. When a failure happens, your screwed. Rebuild is very possible & cheaper then buying a new unit. A good electronic repair shop should be able to repair the issues. You must remove thé internals before taking tho. After repair seal the board so zero moisture can cause the same problem. The board circuit board. By DigiTek.
#03F31R8. Some dash’s work great for ever some do not.

How do you like your new Ducati?
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:50 am

Buellbloke wrote:
Speedy23 wrote:

I'm interested in a late GRiSO SE 8V (or is that a tautology? I suspect so...)

Thanks all

S23

This one sounds right up your street, comes with both the cast preffered by many and original spoke wheels, is low miles, very late (last year of production) so defo rollerised.
A Termignoni posh replacement silencer and original. Price is the regular high for these but not too high considering the extras.
Extras include Onur bar risers, Rizoma fatbar handlebars, Rizoma bar ends, Grip Puppies, memory foam seat, Vario lowered footpegs, Hepco and Becker C-Bow luggage system, rear hugger and front fender extender, three spoke wheels, Dart flyscreen, Carc protector, Beetle map, etc. (possible member of Ghetto)
Spoked wheels, original exhaust, footpegs, handlebars etc come with it. Some spares as well, including a brand new tail unit.
Facebook Marketplace Can't believe it took me so long to realise how that link thing worked bom

That's mine. Willing to come down a bit. Unfortunately, Speedy has hand problems too and, like me, was in a bit of pain after a 40 minute test ride. So, still for sale.

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:56 am

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Unfortunately, Speedy has hand problems too

If it is due to the clutch weight i can recommend a modified Oberon "Command cylinder" to reduce the pull weight by about 30%
If it is due to vibration i found going to bar end mirrors reduced the buzz (and being anal with throttle synch)
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:08 am

lcjohnny wrote:
Papa Lazarou wrote:

If it is due to the clutch weight i can recommend a modified Oberon "Command cylinder" to reduce the pull weight by about 30%
If it is due to vibration i found going to bar end mirrors reduced the buzz (and being anal with throttle synch)

It isn't the clutch pull (which is lovely after the old Guzzis I've had), it's low vibrations. He has a nerve condition. I've got arthritis in my hands. It has Rizoma bar end weights and Grip Puppies, which help a little.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:42 am

lcjohnny wrote:
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Only model not listed on the Oberon site is "Moto Guzzi" f*ckers Sad
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:33 pm

dlpannebakker wrote:
A major electrical issue you need to be aware of with the GRiSO especially in the first several years. The dash. It sucks. They have a tendency to go belly up even brand new units that were on the show room floor failed. When a failure happens, your screwed. Rebuild is very possible & cheaper then buying a new unit.  A good electronic repair shop should be able to repair the issues. You must remove thé internals before taking tho. After repair seal the board so zero moisture can cause the same problem. The board circuit board. By DigiTek.  
#03F31R8. Some dash’s work great for ever some do not.

How do you like your new Ducati?

Curious, of all of the GRiSO owners I have met and known here in the Pacific Northwest, I have yet to meet a single owner with a wonky dash. I've had three GRiSOs myself and not one dash has failed. Well, I guess the one that collided with an elk at 65 mph and exploded was technically a dash failure.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:34 pm

...I don't think that really counts.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:09 pm

Steak wrote:
I guess the one that collided with an elk at 65 mph and exploded was technically a dash failure.

Must be someone you can sue?!?

Back to top Go down
Frederico Pessoa
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frederico Pessoa

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 am

Speedy23 wrote:
Hello everybody from the Midlands of the UK

I'm currently Guzzi-less, but I've got 2 Ducatis - an old 900SS from 2002 and a new 950 Supersport S.

I got into Italian bikes years ago with a Guzzi Spada back in 1981 and I loved that bike...it died on the M1 in a smash back  in 1988 but I never got over it. It taught me how a motorbike was supposed to handle and sound...a real eye opener. Did about 60000 miles on it over the years.

By the time it died, it had had a fair bit of work done, sportier cam, big 36mm carbs, heads ported to suit, lightened flywheel, suspension mods. Did a lot of this with lots of help and guidance from one of the London Guzzi Gurus of the time, a guy called Amadeo Castellani of Motomecca. As I said, I loved that bike....should have kept the wreck  but at the time had new mortgage, etc., so it went for breaking...

FF to a couple of years ago, I had a Yammy FRJ1300 ('cos I like shafties, among other reasons) after a couple of BMWs (don't ask - wouldn't buy another...) which had to go in for the 2nd gear pinion recall over the summer.

Just to stay on the road while it was laid up  I was looking for an old bike and came across the 900SS. It was Italian, a V (L?) twin...what wasn't to like - so I bought it.

Instantly got back into the Eyetie groove...this was great. Some of the engineering was a bit iffy (the desmo valve train), and the power/torque not as low down as on the Guzzi, but on the whole it was FUN.

This was more like it. It got me thinking about Guzzis again. So tried a V85 but it didn't click for me - felt a bit "feeble" if you know what I mean? And the other offerings looked a bit "plasticky"?

Duly got the 1300 back, but by this time the seed was resown. So I sold it, and bought the Supersport. Which was nice, but a bit.....sterile, if that makes sense? But hey-ho and all that.....

Now I was in new bike mode again. Then there was all the faff about the new V100...but as you all know, after the initial trumpet-blowing and production of the prototypes, it all went quiet. I wonder if they were quite ready for market?

Anyway, I've got to confess I'm not a fan of the small block Guzzis....never really liked 'em ever since the V35/50 series, and the new ones are the descendants of that line. Not too sure about the move to a unit gearbox and the relocation of the clutch, either. The new engine looks a bit "short", to me....

But I'm still thinking about Guzzis, and the more I think, the more I think I would like a GRiSO. But 4V or 8V? I'm aware of the flat tappet issues, but what else should I be thinking of?

I've seen luggage systems, but all I would really want is a set of hard panniers that don't look too naff?

Any suggestions? What sort of money are we talking about these days?

Anyway, sorry about the TLDR type post, but just getting ready to stick my toe back in the water.

(And yes, it would be the 950 that will go to make room for the new bike, if it happens....)

Welcome !!! I´m new here also, but really impressed with the knowledge of everyone, super helpful.
GRiSO for me is a fantastic balance of all sorts of things we look for in a motorcycle and is looking better and better over the years.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Morning all.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morning all....   Morning all.... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Morning all....
Page 1 of 1