GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions

Go down 
+4
kiwi dave
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
CanBike
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:42 pm

To find out about removing the charcoal cannister, search "cannisterectomy"
Back to top Go down
CanBike
Carlotto
Carlotto
CanBike

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:02 pm

I removed my oil pressure sensor and bench tested it. At the risk that I might get the open/closed circuit terminology backwards in my head, I'd like to double check the brain trust.

The old sensor has no continuity on the bench. So it's stuck open circuit? (which would be normal if it was running?) Might I assume that the ECU is looking to see it in a closed circuit state when it's not running, and so it gives an error to tell you the sensor is not working properly?

The new sensor has continuity on the bench. So does oil pressure in a running engine open the circuit not allowing a complete path, which the ECU understands as having oil pressure.

If the old sensor is clearly toast, I might not rush into changing the sump spacer gasket.

Also, pulling the sensor is a test in patience! I ended up cobbling together a home-made tool.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Yes. Closed when engine not running. Open when running.
Back to top Go down
CanBike
Carlotto
Carlotto
CanBike

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:26 am

Thanks Pete!

Also a bit of mission creep. I ordered a metal fuel filter just as a precaution as I had assumed the filter must have been replaced since it's a known issue. Glad I dug in. The original plastic filter looks a bit swollen. (26k kms)

Back to top Go down
CanBike
Carlotto
Carlotto
CanBike

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 pm

It lives. Red triangle warning (Dash #07) gone on startup. New oil pressure sensor did the trick. Was finally able to get GuzziDiag V47 back up and running on an old MacBook. Reset TPS and auto learning. (after a new map last week) TPS was at 5.10 now at 4.8.

Having the bike apart, I discovered a PO's canister removal was half-assed. The hose back to the TB vac ports was plugged with a loose fitting bolt. I pulled the TB nipples and put in some nice button heads with orings. I might recheck the TB balance.

Will test ride in the morning to see how she runs, especially after finally being able to rest TPS.

lcjohnny and Bulldog9 like this post

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:21 am

CanBike wrote:
It lives. Red triangle warning (Dash #07) gone on startup. New oil pressure sensor did the trick. Was finally able to get GuzziDiag V47 back up and running on an old MacBook. Reset TPS and auto learning. (after a new map last week) TPS was at 5.10 now at 4.8.

Having the bike apart, I discovered a PO's canister removal was half-assed. The hose back to the TB vac ports was plugged with a loose fitting bolt. I pulled the TB nipples and put in some nice button heads with orings. I might recheck the TB balance.

Will test ride in the morning to see how she runs, especially after finally being able to rest TPS.

After removing the Canister on my Norge and 1200Sport, I vented the tank to below the frame with the other vents, and ran a line across the motor connecting the bleeds/nipples. This (supposedly) helps with a more stable idle as there is some balancing between the TB's.

On the GRiSO, my system is physically intact, but a ball bearing was stuffed in each TB bleed hose, and the check valve was disabled by running a drill bit through it. This allows the tank to breath freely, and through the canister, and blocks any airflow to the TB. Some like the look of the GRiSO SANS the canister, but I think it makes the bike look too leggy, and prefer the canister in place. Not really an issue for me as I don't live in a state with environazi's who may check that the system is in tact, but at least the system is in place.

Removing the system and canister from the Norge/Breva gives the added advantage of having extra underseat storage. Something the GRiSO could really benifit from, but few options.

Glad you got the bike back together! look forward to hearing the ride report. I've been focusing on the Convert lately, the 12S is next up, looking forward to a couple long day trips in the near future.
Back to top Go down
CanBike
Carlotto
Carlotto
CanBike

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:37 am

Bulldog9 wrote:

After removing the Canister on my Norge and 1200Sport, I vented the tank to below the frame with the other vents, and ran a line across the motor connecting the bleeds/nipples. This (supposedly) helps with a more stable idle as there is some balancing between the TB's.

On the GRiSO, my system is physically intact, but a ball bearing was stuffed in each TB bleed hose, and the check valve was disabled by running a drill bit through it. This allows the tank to breath freely, and through the canister, and blocks any airflow to the TB. Some like the look of the GRiSO SANS the canister, but I think it makes the bike look too leggy, and prefer the canister in place. Not really an issue for me as I don't live in a state with environazi's who may check that the system is in tact, but at least the system is in place.

Removing the system and canister from the Norge/Breva gives the added advantage of having extra underseat storage. Something the GRiSO could really benifit from, but few options.

Glad you got the bike back together! look forward to hearing the ride report. I've been focusing on the Convert lately, the 12S is next up, looking forward to a couple long day trips in the near future.

I've read about the cross-over tube. I might give it a try, but it was nice to pull a bunch of crap off the bike. I ran the two tank 'vents' to the right side into a tee, which I gather is the standard Euro set up. Canada often gets bikes built for California rules as the factories don't want to build different versions, especially for low volume stuff. But thankfully nobody here would ever look to see if a canister was still in place. And you're right about the extra storage in the tail! I wish every bike had that.

I had an 850T that I sort of miss. I converted the chrome jugs to a 1000 top end. It was a great bike, but I've soured a bit on working on old stuff. I had a V7iii that I had well-sorted with an awesome Beetle map. For me, the bike was the closest feel to a classic bike without the fuss, but the 1200s spoiled that right quick. It was pretty hard to ever choose the V7 when the 1200 was an option so the V7 got sold last week. The 1200 has really re-invigorated my excitement level. The bike chews miles like nobody's business. I might do the lap around Lake Superior in the next week or so. Hope you can get out on the 1200-it's an amazing bike.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:49 pm

CanBike wrote:
Hope you can get out on the 1200-it's an amazing bike.

I second that - love mine, a real mile eater.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions   Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sport 1200 (2V) Tune-up questions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2