GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

shock spring tension

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrewpatrol
Carlotto
Carlotto
Andrewpatrol

shock spring tension Empty
PostSubject: shock spring tension   shock spring tension Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi I’m a 120 kg lump but the suspension is way too firm. Is there a secret to undoing rear spring , it feels like the spring has so much load on it that the nut wants to gall on the threads. I’ve separated the lock ring.
And how do you set the amount of drop when you sit on it?
I’d be reasonably confident it’s the stock suspension.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: shock spring tension   shock spring tension Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:13 pm

The stock spring is too weak, not too stiff, especially for those of us of more, errr? 'Ample' proportions. The stock Sachs is under sprung and over damped, poorly! If you look at the bump stop I'll bet you it's being beaten to pieces, (If it's still there!). Increasing the preload won't make it less harsh or prevent it bottoming out. Simply make it take more effort to start it moving.

The stock shock is pretty rubbish. If you can't replace it at least re-spring it.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: shock spring tension   shock spring tension Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:58 am

Totally agree with Pete
And it is the rubber bump stop that feels like stiff suspension.

I weigh 105Kg in helmet and jacket and on mine i found the standard spring was almost completely collapsed so any bumps were immediately compressing the rubber bump stop.

Going up to a 13Kg/mm spring from the standard (I think 9.9Kg/mm) has improved the suspension massively.

Now it is sitting in the top 1/3 of the spring range i find the Stelvio shock a little bit too tall (I am 5ft9in with a 29in inside leg) so i am using the standard shock til i can afford a proper one.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: shock spring tension   shock spring tension Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:12 am

i also agree with Pete. At 325# I was bottoming out often. A new shock/spring made a world of difference. It was expensive, but worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: shock spring tension   shock spring tension Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:40 am

Pete Roper wrote:
The stock spring is too weak, not too stiff, especially for those of us of more, errr? 'Ample' proportions. The stock Sachs is under sprung and over damped, poorly! If you look at the bump stop I'll bet you it's being beaten to pieces, (If it's still there!). Increasing the preload won't make it less harsh or prevent it bottoming out. Simply make it take more effort to start it moving.

The stock shock is pretty rubbish. If you can't replace it at least re-spring it.

Based on earlier discussions on this same topic, and Pete's recommendation, I changed out the stock spring to a Hyperpro spring #1224.   Hyperpro doesn't list the GRiSO on their website, but it's the same spring for other Guzzi models.  

Huge difference.  Costs $130 approx, get it installed and then have sag and rebound properly set with you on the bike in gear.  You will find this makes a massive positive difference in the ride and handling and turn in capabilities of the GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shock spring tension   shock spring tension Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

shock spring tension
Page 1 of 1