GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Texas Ride

Go down 
+3
PJPR01
Bill Hagan
rick pope
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:40 am

We'll be spending a few weeks in Bandera, TX this winter. Tentatively from 1/23-2/28. We've met Kel, from Willow, TX, and I believe we have another Ghetto member from the Comfort area. So, it would seem a GRiSO lunch ride should be arranged. Heck, maybe an all day loop, or 2? We'll have guests the first week of Feb, but if need be, we can desert them for a while.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:15 am

rick pope wrote:
 We'll be spending a few weeks in Bandera, TX this winter.  Tentatively from 1/23-2/28.  We've met Kel, from Willow, TX, and I believe we have another Ghetto member from the Comfort area.  So, it would seem a GRiSO lunch ride should be arranged.  Heck, maybe an all day loop, or 2?  We'll have guests the first week of Feb, but if need be, we can desert them for a while.

Bandera, huh?

Nice part of the world, especially at that time of year.

I thought I knew it, but went to Google maps to confirm.  You have to like the pic that pops when you punch it in:

Bandera, Texas  cheers

I bought my Norge -- sigh, gone -- from MPH on 2 January 2007.  Kathi and drove to Houston to pick it up.  We then did a 600-mile two-up romp in the Hill Country over the next few days to get it to its first service interval.

Pretty sure we went through Bandera as I remember -- after looking at map -- of taking SR 16 from there on a loop up to visit friends in Kerrville.

Have a fine time, Rick.

Merry Christmas!

Bill
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Was just riding thru there 2 months ago for 3 days while picking up stops on the Grand Tour of Texas. Lovely area to ride...you're in the heart of the 3 Twisted Sisters...just LOTS and LOTS of deer to watch for at all hours of the day.

There is a very nice vintage motorcycle museum called Lone Star museum just south of Vanderpool near Lost Maples State park...great place to visit since you're so close.  

Definitely visit Garner state park, if the weather is warm, a swim in the Frio river is a must!

Lots of fun places to visit including Luckenbach, Kerrville, Boerne and there are other motorcycle museums also in Johnson City and farther up in Burnet if I recall correctly.

A couple of years ago we had 10 Guzzisti join for BBQ at Black's BBQ in Lockhart, so there are quite a few Guzzi riders in the nearby area...
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:35 pm

Bandera is the "self proclaimed" Cowboy Capital. Sure. And I'm a self proclaimed handsome dude. But it's still a fun place to use as a base for exploring, and the winter weather is pretty good.

Unfortunately, the Lone Star Motorcycle museum is closed in the winter. We've been there several times, with no luck. Yes, the Three Twisted Sisters is the basis for a lovely day of twists, turns, and undulations. A nice day ride from Bandera.

There are quite a few wineries in the area, but a lack of ice cream shops. I do like my ice cream, and Dairy Queen doesn't cut it.

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:01 pm

So when did the Norge go Bill? I don't remember hearing about that?
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:28 am

Pete Roper wrote:
So when did the Norge go Bill? I don't remember hearing about that?

Didn't want to steal any of Rick's Texas thunder, so started a new thread in response to your question.

It's here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill

Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:56 pm

Five week window?... excellent.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:12 am

The clock is ticking. We should arrive in Bandera sometime Saturday or Sunday, depending on whether we do any side excursions on the way.

Kel, Susan is flying to Florida 2/5-2/13, so I'll have a few days to pack the saddlebags and do a road trip.
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:06 am

I might be able to ride out in Sunday if there's something going on. The GRiSO is in NC but the EV is always willing.

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:20 pm

We don't know for sure when we'll arrive, and there's no structure to any gathering. My wife and I will be in Bandera for 5 weeks, so I just thought it might be nice to mee other Guzzi folks.

We're staying at Skyline Ranch RV on Hwy 16 on the north side of town.

cell #: 513*284*6927 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:35 am

rick pope wrote:
We don't know for sure when we'll arrive, and there's no structure to any gathering.  My wife and I will be in Bandera for 5 weeks, so I just thought it might be nice to mee other Guzzi folks.

We're staying at Skyline Ranch RV on  Hwy 16 on the north side of town.

cell #: 513*284*6927  rickeieio1@comcast.net

Ok. This weekend would have been a struggle anyway. I'm in South Austin I usually head out towards hill country for rides. And if you come this way just text me.

George 803*226*6793
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:27 pm

Well, we've been in Bandera for 8 days. Sunday was the only day decent for a ride, but I had a head full of snot. It's difficult to ride while trying to blow your nose, so I had to settle for staying in camp and having a dark beer, or two. So now, it's been damp for two days, and the talking heads say more rain tonight with temps of 27*f (about -3*c). Yuck.

On the bright side, we met up with Kel for lunch and had a pleasant visit. Hopefully, we'll find a nice day and explore some curvy roads with insane speed limits.

Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:59 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rick, can't find my chains so no riding today. At least it's Tx so just wait a couple of days.

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:47 pm

A little ice here. THE GRiSO is parked under the nose othe camper, so has icicles drooping from the luggage rack. Went to Hondo for Lunch and roads were clear. But riding in 34*f drizzle is for tougher hides than mine. We took the "Touring car". Very Happy

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:55 am

Was in Round Rock TX (my office) this week for a major ice storm. Many homes lost power and many came to the hotel where I was staying. If I didn’t have remote start in my rental car I don’t think I would have been able to heat up the car and get the doors open. Would be a bad week around there for a ride. Meantime, my buddies back in South Georgia were telling me how nice it was riding earlier this week.
Felt lucky to get a flight out of Austin yesterday morning. All of my colleagues and customers had their return flights cancelled.

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:16 pm

Yeh it's been a nasty week here. I'm just waiting for the weekend to go out and chop up the limbs that have graced our yard. Austin loves its trees but there's always a cost when the ice comes.

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:19 pm

Our stay in Texas is nearly over. It's been a hoot.

We met with Kel for lunch early on, and then today, he led us on a great ride. He gave us a tour of a hanger full of interesting birds, some of which he had a hand in building. Then, after lunch, we took a circuitous route to his house to see some more flying machines before meandering through the hills and valleys to Luckenbach, Texas. He twisted our arms and so we violated our rule of never mixing beer with motorcycling. Ya just gotta have a beer in Luckenbach.

We ended the day back at the camper with almost exactly 200 miles for the day. Great weather, great roads, and a great host. Thanks Kel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Texas Ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas Ride   Texas Ride Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Texas Ride
Page 1 of 1