GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

7th Line Fork setting

Go down 
+2
Oz1200Guzzi
DungeonMaster
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

7th Line Fork setting Empty
PostSubject: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:29 am

Soooooo.
I had some issues with my triple clamp bolts.
Bought new bolts.
Then I found a screw extractor bit kit.
Then my power drill had all the power of a 99 year old woman.
Just got the new drill.
Tried the TV screw extractor but it didn't fit right in the allen head recess.
Tried the easy out and it fit even looser.
Got back to the TV extractor and got it to bite but the drill wasn't strong enuff to remove the bolt.
Fortunately the extractor was NOT round - it had flats.
Grabbed the adjustable Crescent wrench and finally got the Bugger out!!

Strung up the GRiSO with a couple of ratcheting tie straps and tapped the front down to the the 7th line.
I rode up and down a local curvy road and it steered REAL easy but.....
Did I cross the threshold of confidence inspiring dynamic tension in my front end feel??
I didn't feel Great about dropping to the 6th line Right Off. It took a week before I really got into my groove at that setting.
So I am going to putter around a week and see if I settle into my new setting.

DM
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:00 am

Generally these hand tools are designed to be used by hand, and not by the drill - Crescent wrench is a good solution, the only better one would have been a tap wrench, if you had one. I see you worked that out pretty quick - excellent
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:01 am

Time to check my front tire pressure.
I am still going to try out my new setting for a week but I am thinking it is passed into a bit of vagueness in front.

DM
Back to top Go down
TalkingGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TalkingGriso

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:20 am

Hey DM, did you install those clip ons too? I have been wondering how they will affect your steering "feel."

I'm no setup guru, but let me see if I can follow along. You have been raising your fork tubes incrementally, which gives the bike a steeper steering head angle and should make the bike steer "quicker" at the expense of some straight line stability, right? And by "quick" do we mean that the bike turns in faster, or leans over faster (or both)?

I ask because I have noticed that certain tires' profiles have the same effect of causing the bike to "fall" into the turn faster. The Dunlop Q2s I had on my old Versys were like this. The hard compound in the middle of the tread seemed to sit up higher than the softer shoulders, giving the tire a sort of triangular profile. The bike literally dived into corners. Is that the experience you are seeking?
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:57 am

No, not yet. I decided

a) I wanted to make one change at a time and test out the different steering feels first.

b) success at the 7th line would give me more fork to bolt the clip-ons onto.

c) I got my new drill so I can make the holes for the switch gear set pins into.

d) I have a five day weekend this weekend.  Smile

I am thinking that the 7th line is too far and I am probably going back to the 6th.
I was hoping to find some one else had already tried it too so I could get some feed back but I guess I am the pioneer.

DM
Back to top Go down
Laker
Biondino
Biondino
Laker

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:25 am

Pictures man, pictures!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 pm

only on the 5th line here, but more likely to raise the rear a little next
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:07 am

I've been on the 6th line for some time. IMO the steering is pretty much spot on at this setting. She is still rock steady and stable in the straights, and turns quickly enough for me. In left handers the side stand scrapes easily and I wouldn't want to go any lower in the forks.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:33 am

My side stand tang suffered a fastener issue and was removed. A little funky parking the bike but my clearance is NOT and issue.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:35 am

It's not the tang, my side stand foot scrapes.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:39 am

ahhhhh. I'm not that much of a stud. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7th Line Fork setting   7th Line Fork setting Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

7th Line Fork setting
Page 1 of 1