GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Battery wire terminals

Go down 
+3
Chris W
Lazlokovacs
OldMojo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

Battery wire terminals Empty
PostSubject: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:09 am

The funky right angle terminal broke in twain on my negative lead. Since I don't recall subjecting it to any abuse, I'm questioning this whole enterprise and have some concern about the other side pulling the same stunt.

I'm not wild about how everything gets crammed into the little recesses in the tank anyway. Has the collective wisdom of the Ghetto struck upon a better setup?

Perhaps....

1) a beefier terminal?

2) a post adapter that allows the use of a common replacement lug?

3) a shorter battery that allows some finessing room for fitting a common lug?

4) some combination of the above?

My Google-Fu has yes to turn up anything remotely elegant, so I'm wondering if this wheel has already been reinvented.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:46 am

Mine did the same thing

I can't remember how I fixed it though sorry! It wasn't anything complicated and it hasn't given me any more trouble.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:33 am

with the snug fit of the seat pan up against the tank, I think the factory has the best solution. I'm not sure why the lug would have fatigued and broken. Maybe the battery is jumping around from riding on rough roads?
There are always alternate ways to make the connection, but my guess would be to make the repair with new terminals and "put it back like it was". Just make sure the battery and cabling are secured in place. You can proactively check it at every maintenance interval in hopes of catching it before it happens again
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:56 am

If you get a proper hex shaped battery terminal crimper you can fix new right angle terminals cheaply
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:53 pm

My negative terminal just broke! Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Or something better?

Appreciate any help!

John
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:04 pm

Measure the conductor (copper part) and order from here  Bay of EEbs

What you must have is a battery terminal crimper like this Nay of EEbs 2
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:44 am

Mine has bust both sides. I've drilled what's left of the terminals, and it works, but it's not going to last for ever. I was thinking about getting a crimper.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:48 am

Just ordered the crimper linked to by lcjohnny. I'll let you know how I get on.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:56 am

When you get it you can mend starter wires, make custom earth leads, do favours for friends....
Its a Super-power

Trogladyte likes this post

Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:16 pm

Got a tip from a Harley dude.
Car stereo installers have connectors that will work.
Harbor Freight for the crimping tool.

For all you USA ers that can't wait for the mail.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:54 pm

All fixed. Car stereo connectors work great! I soldered them on to the cables and bolted them to the front of the battery instead of the top. Also you can get gold plated ones if you are $$$$$
Back to top Go down
whitmire
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
whitmire

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:41 am

I realize that it may be a little late for this particular terminal issue & I don't know how to link to it but back in August I found a hydraulic terminal crimper on the bay of ee's (ABN brand)for $45.99 with free shipping that I didn't even need at that time but bought anyway because it was too good to pass up. I showed it a good friend of mine who owns a welding supply(they make cable assemblies & crimp lugs everyday) & he immediately ordered the next larger size kit & has been using it regularly ever since,both kits come with several different sizes of dies,unbelievably good professional quality crimps. I have since used it once on my 1200 Sport & to me that one time was worth the price.
As far as the lugs on the GRiSO,one of them broke as you described,all my Guzzis now have Shorai batteries with bolt holes on the top & sides of the terminals so I took the angled part off of both terminals & drilled a hole through the remaining "vertical" part & bolted the cable onto the side mounting holes. The lugs are now shorter & less prone to vibrate & are in exactly the same position as before.Hope this helps.

lcjohnny, Trogladyte and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:43 am

Thanks Whitmire. That's pretty much how I've got mine rigged at the moment. The angled part of both battery lead terminals has sheared off, and I've just drilled the remaining copper plate. The positive has enough on it to bolt to the top of the battery terminal, but on the earth side it's bolted into the side of the battery terminal. It works, but I'm not 100% happy with it, as if that shears, I've got nowhere else to go.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 6:33 am

Triman023 wrote:
All fixed. Car stereo connectors work great! I soldered them on to the cables and bolted them to the front of the battery instead of the top. Also you can get gold plated ones if you are $$$$$
what are these stereo connectors of which you speak? Got a linky?
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 1:46 pm

Look for Ring terminal connectors on the Google thingy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery wire terminals   Battery wire terminals Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Battery wire terminals
Page 1 of 1