GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh! Empty
PostSubject: Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh!   Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh! Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:07 pm

Charcoal canister removal complete.  Test ride a success.  Now all I need to do is put the side covers on and gas tank bolts back in place!  I now realize that I never even needed to remove the gas tank bolts to complete the task...  Doesn't matter now, I need to reinstall the gas tank bolts.

Long story short, I managed to cross-thread both bolts & holes at the front of the tank.  I now realize that I should have installed the rear bolts first, then the front bolts.  Too late!

I picked up an Irwin 6.0 - 1.0 tap bit and T- handle at the local Ace Hardware.  Am I about to make a mistake by attempting to re-cut the threaded holes in the frame with the tap or should I buy a "thread-restorer" kit and use that instead? I don't think I completely ruined the threads but cannot replace the new bolts without addressing the threaded holes first.  What a PITA.

Thoughts appreciated-
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh!   Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh! Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:39 pm

Just run a tap through them.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh!   Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh! Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:43 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Just run a tap through them.

That's what I was thinking.  Thanks Pete-
Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh!   Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh! Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:26 am

Carefully running the tap through the threads, then blowing out with compressed air worked perfectly. Two new stainless bolts and it went back together perfectly. Thanks!

beetle and JohnA like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh!   Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cross threads at front gas tank - Ugh!
Page 1 of 1